Quantcast white heifer disease

Sponsors



Author Topic: white heifer disease  (Read 18033 times)

Offline librarian

  • County Champion Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 1621
  • Karma 49
    • View Profile
    • puregrassbeef.com
Re: white heifer disease
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2021, 08:29:47 PM »
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276594774_The_Effect_of_a_Coat_Colour-Associated_Genes_Polymorphism_on_Animal_Health_-_A_Review
KITLG (MGF) geneThe  KITLG  (tyrosine-protein  kinase ligand)  gene, also  called  MGF  (mast  cell growth factor) gene, encodes a tyrosine kinase receptor ligand. Ligand binds to the tyrosine  receptor  kinase KIT, stimulating  migration,  proliferation and  survival  of melanocytes,  hematopoietic  cells  and germ  cells  (Marklund  et  al.,  1999). KITLG also plays an important role in nerve cells development and mast cells development, migration and function (Scherer and Kumar, 2010). In  cattle  KITLG gene  (localized  in locus  Roan)  was mapped  to  the telomeric end of  BTA5 (Aasland et al.,  2000). Roan pattern is  common in two cattle  breeds, Shorthorn and Belgian Blue. In exon 7 (nucleotide 654) of the KITLG gene, missense mutation  was  identied  (C>A)  causing  a  substitution  of  alanine  by  asparagine (Ala193Asp), whereas the asparagine is present  in the protein encoded by allele R, and alanine by allele r. Allele R is  responsible for white  coat colour, and allele r for the black (in Belgian Blue cattle) or red (in Shorthorn) coat colour (Seitz et al., 1999). These alleles are  inherited  with  incomplete  dominance,  however, genotype Rr shows  incomplete penetration. In both  cattle breeds allele R  is linked to  genital development disorder, characterized by a missing or underdeveloped vagina, cervix or uterus. This disorder syndrome has  been named White Heifer  Disease (Charlier et al.,  1996).  Over  90%  of affected heifers have  white  coat  colour, and among  the remaining 10% blue coloured heifers (Belgian Blue) or roan coloured heifers (Short-horn) predominate
'Those who do not understand the old will not understand the new'. -farmers quote

Offline librarian

  • County Champion Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 1621
  • Karma 49
    • View Profile
    • puregrassbeef.com
Re: white heifer disease
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2021, 07:48:42 AM »
I was studying this KIT gene regulation in breeds that express color sided or lineback pigment patterns. When I read about the gonadal hypoplasia predominantly in white males, it rang a bell with white heifer disease. I wonder if this is the science behind the old shorthorn breeder practice of using white bulls every third generation. I always thought that idea was about heterozygosity and keeping roan strong, but now I believe it was a caution about stacking white.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0093691X97000113
Ovarian hypoplasia in heifers due to germ cell weakness

https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/43338504.pdf
Ectopic KIT Copy Number Variation Underlies Impaired Migration of Primordial Germ Cells Associated with Gonadal Hypoplasia in Cattle (Bos taurus)
'Those who do not understand the old will not understand the new'. -farmers quote

Offline aj

  • National Champion Poster
  • **********
  • Posts: 6413
  • Karma 177
    • View Profile
Re: white heifer disease
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2021, 07:58:13 AM »
Interesting.
People can't believe we have such a big moon for such a small town.

 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
45 Replies
20050 Views
Last post July 18, 2007, 10:50:34 PM
by justintime
8 Replies
8856 Views
Last post March 29, 2011, 08:22:53 AM
by AndersenClubCalves
3 Replies
3875 Views
Last post May 16, 2011, 09:06:08 PM
by FarmerWanna-Be
11 Replies
8906 Views
Last post January 29, 2012, 11:18:27 PM
by Mtnman
15 Replies
12359 Views
Last post March 16, 2017, 07:22:59 PM
by alvinpierce192

Powered by EzPortal

SteerPlanet Designed Websites

SteerPlanet Designed Websites

Steer Planet Classifieds & Auctions

Breeder Directory