Quantcast To breed or not to breed


Author Topic: To breed or not to breed  (Read 2104 times)


  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 303
  • Karma 11
  • SDSF Compass Rose
    • View Profile
To breed or not to breed
« on: June 21, 2008, 09:56:28 PM »

Ive got three heifers  May 30, 31, June 1. All are around 1000-1050. Plent big enough to go ahead and get bred and I would rather they calved a bit before we get heavy into summer next year anyway. I've got our state's Jr Roundup the end of July. Now, I will not haul till they're 42 days in no matter what anyone says, so my question to you is would you breed before or after the July show.

One is deep and really nice and showy. Already been out successfully and looking good right now. She's a tee bit weak topped and will probably be super competative this time out, so I opt to wait.

Ones a bit tighter ribbed and still a bit green, so I opt to go ahead and bred and sit her out for this show.

But the other is deep ribbed enough but not DEEP,and in good condition. She's my main problem.One of those who'll kill as a heavy bred but I really want to go ahead and get her shown but going ahead and breeding her will only mean  missing one show and it will allow her to be on fire this winter/early spring.

They'll show as heavies at Dixie Nationals in Feb. and the State show in early March if bred now. If not we'd be looking at May 10th  due date or so.

I basically want to know what you'd do if they were your heifers besides go ahead and stick her and haul her and if she looses it then try again and if she keeps it then your ahead. We're in Alabama, so it gets pretty hot and I just wouldnt feel good playing that game.

Thanks in advance,
If God sends us on stony paths  he provides strong shoes - Corrie Ten Boom

Offline OH Breeder

  • Forum Moderator
  • National Champion Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 5954
  • Karma 279
    • View Profile
Re: To breed or not to breed
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 10:31:53 PM »
Our luck with heifers, just about the time we haul them to an important show they cycle and are a handful. Plus, I would pass up the chance to get them bred.
Life is too short....don't sweat the small stuff.

Offline Kansas Karl

  • County Champion Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 2087
  • Karma 43
    • View Profile
    • Kimbrell Cattle Co
Re: To breed or not to breed
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 11:21:14 PM »
OK well would you breed  15-25 days before a show?? actually a week long show with a heifer that has been shown before?? Thanks a  bunch
Show Barn Manager for Kimbrell Cattle Co in Hillsboro, Texas

Offline Doc

  • State Champion Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 3617
  • Karma 154
    • View Profile
Re: To breed or not to breed
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 06:29:23 AM »
  Go ahead & breed all 3 now.
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong
enough to take everything you have.   -- Thomas Jefferson


Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
13 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 09:37:34 AM
by red
10 Replies
Last post March 22, 2008, 11:18:40 PM
by shortyisqueen
8 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 09:23:59 AM
by Davis Shorthorns
18 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 09:33:13 AM
by red
3 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 04:04:39 PM
by Davis Shorthorns

Powered by EzPortal