Quantcast TH & PHA Question

Sponsors



Author Topic: TH & PHA Question  (Read 2508 times)

Offline brenn

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 80
  • Karma 1
    • View Profile
TH & PHA Question
« on: September 27, 2010, 06:51:33 PM »
I have a question. In order for a calf to born with TH do both the cow and the bull have to be carriers? I was wondering how this works? I have a herd of clean Herefords but I wanted to AI a few to Indian Outlaw, who is a carrrier, but I dont want to risk having a TH calf born. So, any help would be appriciated. Thanks!
We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an
act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Offline SHAGGY

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 148
  • Karma 5
    • View Profile
Re: TH & PHA Question
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 07:12:35 PM »
There are a ton of post on here explaining this just do a search, but if you are certain that all your cows are clean then all the calves will be fine (not affected), but in theory approximately half of them will then be carriers. A carrier bred to a non-carrier will have 50/50 chance the offspring will be carrier/non-carrier. A carrier bred to a carrier will have 50% chance of carrier, 25% affected and 25% clean. I have several carriers myself but IMO if you have a clean herd don't introduce it, there are still very good bulls out there that are clean you can use. I know you probably like the color of him but just use a clean shorthorn bull to try and get some cool colors with your Hereford cows. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:16:37 PM by SHAGGY »

Offline hntwhitetail

  • County Champion Poster
  • *****
  • Posts: 1441
  • Karma 10
    • View Profile
Re: TH & PHA Question
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
You could always try Tiger Woods. 

Offline snagboy

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 33
  • Karma 1
    • View Profile
Re: TH & PHA Question
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 10:02:01 PM »
we used a shorthorn bull sonny and clear had a nice calf wild color

Offline OH Breeder

  • Forum Moderator
  • National Champion Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 5954
  • Karma 279
    • View Profile
Re: TH & PHA Question
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:31:59 PM »
we used a shorthorn bull sonny and clear had a nice calf wild color


Sonny and Clear is a PH C
Life is too short....don't sweat the small stuff.

Offline Okotoks

  • State Champion Poster
  • ******
  • Posts: 3062
  • Karma 121
  • Diamond Belvedere 29B
    • View Profile
    • Diamond Shorthorns
Re: TH & PHA Question
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 11:51:06 PM »
I have a question. In order for a calf to born with TH do both the cow and the bull have to be carriers? I was wondering how this works? I have a herd of clean Herefords but I wanted to AI a few to Indian Outlaw, who is a carrrier, but I dont want to risk having a TH calf born. So, any help would be appriciated. Thanks!
There is a thread below on Genetics that explains the heredity of recessive lethals. If you have a clean herd I would look for a good clean bull to use.
Otherwise half your calves will be carriers including any replacement heifers.

 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
22 Replies
9017 Views
Last post June 22, 2008, 06:41:20 PM
by GONEWEST
9 Replies
5065 Views
Last post June 22, 2008, 06:05:39 PM
by daydreamingacres
25 Replies
9320 Views
Last post July 07, 2008, 09:46:17 AM
by KCK
2 Replies
2045 Views
Last post October 07, 2008, 08:11:09 AM
by CAB
22 Replies
11488 Views
Last post August 11, 2010, 10:40:01 PM
by The Show

Powered by EzPortal

SteerPlanet Designed Websites

SteerPlanet Designed Websites

Steer Planet Classifieds & Auctions

Breeder Directory