Eionmor Mr. Gus 80C Semen

Help Support Steer Planet:

SJcattle

I was wondering if anyone has some Eionmor Mr. Gus 80C semen kicking around that's available for Canada? I'd even consider a son of the 80C bull.

Thanks in advance!

justintime

Have you checked with Ken and Robert Morison at Eionmor?  I was able to beg a cane of 80C from Ken a few years ago and at that time he said the semen supply was getting down and they were saving what was left for their own use. Now that they have sold their purebred cows, they may reconsider. I think I paid about $75/ straw at that time, which was very reasonable in my opinion. 80C was another of those bulls who was born ahead of his time. I remember seeing him at Alta Genetics as a 3 year old and thinking that he was the best bull of all breeds in the stud. There were over 150 bulls there at the time, and I was travelling with a Maine breeder and an Angus breeder, and they agreed that he was the best bull there. Wish I had been smart enough to stockpile some semen when it was available!

SJcattle

Thanks for the suggestion Justintime. I know I had mentioned it to them a few years ago and they had said the same thing. I could always touch base with them and see if they have any left. I agree, that bull was born well ahead of his time. I wish I could have seen him in the flesh. I agree! If a person could have hoarded some of that semen for today, we'd be laughing!

kiblercattle

What are his strong suits and weaknesses. I remember my dad using him when he first came out. That being said none made Bulls or made it to being a cow here for very long. Ours seemed harder doing no assed cattle.

SJcattle

What are his strong suits and weaknesses. I remember my dad using him when he first came out. That being said none made Bulls or made it to being a cow here for very long. Ours seemed harder doing no assed cattle.

As far as I know the daughters, once in production were his true strength. They were high production types with a good amount of milk. He also seemed to excel in carcass traits as far as quality and marbling. I am not sure how the direct 80C daughters fed, but we have several grand daughters of his and they are probably the easiest doing cattle that we own. I don't believe his bulls were exceptional, just average bulls, but if you got a good one, they where good. Justintime may have some more information on this though.

shortybreeder

I got excited when I saw the title hoping someone had some for sale... I have 1 granddaughter of his, and she got a lot of attention at the fairs I took her to for her productive look (I didn't fatten her for show because we could tell she was special). One older guy took one look at her and asked if 80C was in her pedigree then tried to buy her from me. She had her first calf March 15 and she's turning into a beautiful heifer calf. I am considering flushing the cow to Saskvalley Primo, gonna breed her to him this year and see the calf we get next year, but definitely holding onto some of that Primo semen if I do go that route. I think Frank Kaehler had some 80C semen in MN, but I heard $200/unit.

kiblercattle

I didn't think he had any real use after our experience. Now I wish I hadn't thrown out last bit of him away a couple years ago

Okotoks

We were lucky to get some Eionmor Mr Gus 80c from Eionmor after their dispersal. We flushed a grand daughter of 80C back to him, Eionmor Ruby 48T and Hatfiels flushed Eionmor Lily 39S to him. (4 and 10 embryos) Lily 39S carries 2 crosses of 80C and 4 of his sire.
Eionmor Mr Gus 80C has some of the best numbers with high accuracy.
$CE 34.75/20
$F 59.14/2
$BMI 139.35/1
top 5% of the breed for CE top 15% WE, top 10% YW, top 25% REA and top 35% milk
Photos are of a grandson and grand daughter we had both out of the same 80C daughter.

Attachments

• Eionmor.Ruby.48T.and.Diamond.Ruby.37B.by.82T.jpg
    Eionmor.Ruby.48T.and.Diamond.Ruby.37B.by.82T.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 454
  • Eionmor Ideal 61M.jpg
    Eionmor Ideal 61M.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 461

SJcattle

Eionmor Mr Gus 80C has some of the best numbers with high accuracy.

I agree Okatoks. I think if he's bred to the right type of cow the potential there could be quite exciting! I think the embryo's you've noted will do very well I am sure of it. I believe he has an exceptionally short gestation as well.