Feed ration too dry?

Help Support Steer Planet:

jpcattleco

So ive been getting a custom ration that is a modified AAOK recipe with sure champ mixed in for the ameferm and vitamins and minerals. 

I havnt talk with my grain guy yet about this but it seemed like the ration was coming out very dry and dusty. I had a a couple ton come out with a nice consistency but it was dry and dusty most of the time. I also noticed every now and then I would find a big clump of what seemed to be crumbled molasses. It had a great damp texture i would just crumble it back into the bin and mix it up.

The cattle did eat the feed with no issues but I've been used to feeding different show feeds and just started with the custom ration. With all of the show feeds they seem to have that consistency of a little moisture.

Without sounding dumb. Does anyone have any ideas of why it would be dry and dusty and if so a way to fix that?

Doc

It's got to be something your guy is doing wrong. I've been feeding AAOK recipe for a couple of years and no issues on the dryness.

jpcattleco

Yes they are using black strap liquid molasses. 100 lbs per ton. It seems that some bags have a nice,consistency and some don't. I have been thinking about trading about 40 lbs of corn for 40 lbs of soy oil or liquafat to give it a consistent texture.

I've been lucky having easy feeders on the ration so they haven't complained out it being dry. In sure if i talk to the mill guy they'll work on fixing it. I just haven't been in there in a couple weeks because I'm good on feed right now. We had a few ton in the spring that had a great texture to it and it looked and felt like a good show feed. The cattle are growing great on it as well.

cflem

It sounds like they need to run the mixer for a longer period of time if there is inconsistency in a batch of feed. I have had trouble at small mills
With the same thing. Ask the hands running the mill to let it mix a little longer.

blackdirt cowboy

I don’t put any molasses in my show feed. I used to use liquafat, but I tweaked my ration because the fat was too expensive. Now I don’t add any liquids to the feed. If one of the steers balls at it being too dry, which they haven’t, I would just top dress with a little water or watered down molasses to cut cut the dust as a I feed them. You’d be surprised how many times at shows the people in the neighboring stall will ask to use some of my dry feed because their cattle won’t eat their normal ration with molasses. They usually go after it pretty hard.