Ohio Expo Sale Cattle Health Requirements

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

The OBE has changed their procedure re health certificates
see the general policy below or http://www.ohiobeefexpo.com/2008expo/pdfs/BEHlthReq08E.pdf for the whole thing

General Health Rules:
IMPORTANT NEW RULE FOR 2008: The lot numbers of the animals that do not meet the Ohio Beef Expo health requirements outlined herein will be announced prior to each breed sale. Health papers (CVIs) to go from the Ohio Beef Expo to the buyer will NOT be issued for cattle that do not meet the Ohio Beef Expo health requirements outlined herein. Please present these health requirements to your veterinarian so that they may ensure that your consignments meet them. A list of the lots that do not meet the requirements will be available in the Beef Expo office by Friday at 3:00 PM. Note: consignors WILL NOT be tracked down to be notified that their lots do not meet the requirements. Consignors will have until 5:00 PM to submit further evidence that the animals meet the requirements. Furthermore, if an animal meets the requirements for the Ohio Beef Expo but, to the knowledge of the veterinarian re-issuing the CVI, does not meet the entry requirements of the state of destination (See Rule # 7 below), a CVI will not be issued and the buyer and seller will thus need to work out an equitable solution to the situation.

I think this is great, good for them. 
(thumbsup)

Jill

Not saying it is good or bad, but how do you know what the requirements are for the state you're selling into, I think Michigan has a lot stricter requirements than say Kansas?

P-F

Personally I think the rules are ridiculous and so does our vet!

Ohio is a TB and Brucilosis free state.  Not that many cattle sell out of state.  If they are going to pick these two why don't they just require that all cattle have to meet every states health regulations.  The more regulations they make the fewer people are going to want to deal with the hassle.  Hell once you figure your expense's a calf has to bring at least 2500 to break even on the whole deal. 

Why don't they require testing for something that actually poses a health risk like BVD PI and Johneses.

DL

Jill said:
Not saying it is good or bad, but how do you know what the requirements are for the state you're selling into, I think Michigan has a lot stricter requirements than say Kansas?

Jill - you know the requirements because you call the state you want to import to and ask what they need for cattle from your state - ie to move cattle from our area of Michigan *the modified accredited advanced TB zone) to Ohio we need a health certificate, official ID and TB test within 60 days. To move the same animal to Illinois you need health certificate, official ID, whole herd negative TB test, 2 individual negative tests. Each state can make their own rules as long as they are more strict than the federal rules.

So it depends on where you are and where you are going. The Ohio rules will get cattle to most states in the US and all the neighboring states which is usually the primary market.

I think that it is incumbent upon those selling cattle to make it easy for the buyer to get their purchase home. There is nothing tackier than having to refuse to write health papers for a high dollar animal because the seller did not take the time and effort to assure that the animal could go out of state. I cannot legally do that and could lose my license - it ain't worth it to me. When the USDA or the state finds out that cattle have been imported into a state where they do not meet the import requirements they can quarantine your herd, require you to TB test (for example) the entire herd at your expense, or in one case in Wisconsin slaughter the animal and test for disease. I am sure that if you were the buyer of the high dollar animal that was slaughtered you would not want to go back to that sale again.

P-F - not all cattle at the OBE stay in Ohio or originate from Ohio. If you want to sell cattle out of state you need to meet those import requirements. PA requires brucellosis testing, and since many cattle go to the neighboring state it seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. TB and brucellosis are the major regulatory diseases that affect cattle movement. The OBE suggests testing for BVD PI, and frankly an individual Johne's test, especially on youngsters is meaningless.

I would suggest that your assessment that TB is not a risk is totally false - you might ask the 30 plus herds in northern MI that have been depopulated because of bovine TB what they think. TB is not only a health risk, a zoonotic disease, it is a financial, social, psychological and cultural nightmare.

I applaud the OBE for doing the right thing for buyers.

red

As someone that has sold cattle out of state, both to New York & Texas, I guess we need to cover all the bases. Plus there are a lot of out of state sellers this year.
Hope they make sure everyone understands the rules & it's not an "uh oh" moment.

Red

DL

red said:
As someone that has sold cattle out of state, both to New York & Texas, I guess we need to cover all the bases. Plus there are a lot of out of state sellers this year.
Hope they make sure everyone understands the rules & it's not an "uh oh" moment.

Red

Agree red - Craig Reiter went out of his way to make sure sellers knew that there were new requirements and that we should read them. I would think it would be pretty embarrassing to have it announced from the block that your animal does notmeet the health requirements

garybob

I wouldn't gripe too much, as Minnesota (the entire state) is about to be Officialy Quarantined by the USDA, for a confirmed outbreak of TB. My thoughts and prayers are with the folks who have susatained direct losses. Mandatory National ID, here we come!

GB

knabe

we should be able to do the same thing with people then.  heard about the hepatitis C outbreak, leprosy, tb, etc?  we care more about the border with cattle than we do people (and not just mexico)

garybob

knabe said:
we should be able to do the same thing with people then.  heard about the hepatitis C outbreak, leprosy, tb, etc?  we care more about the border with cattle than we do people (and not just mexico)
That's REDUCING Gov't? Knabe! Surely, you "jest"!