Some Interesting History

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

i'd like to see more evaluation along the lines of this much information

www.oznet.k-state.edu/historicpublications/Pubs/SB118.PDF

obviously old, and calf was slaughtered at 38 months, but nonetheless, interesting

he was compared to a crossbred shorthorn-hereford steer

i was amazed the fat steer donald was not more fat.

in the end, the white heifer shows up again.

knabe

HISTORY OF H E R E F 0 R I) C A T T L E 197 least suspicitn rested, except from the maniac prices given, which, in the mmds of prudent men, was a caution to prevent them from enter- ing into this mad extreme of speculation so con- trary to reason and prudence. Being supported by men of supposed moneyed influence was the principal cause of its long continuance. Even now some of the aristocracy of England con- tinue the farce, but they, like their fat calves, decline as the "milk fails." Those who laid great stress on the traveling exhibition of the "Bijou" and-the "White Heifer," knew nothing of the rules of good breeding, or they might have known at once that both of these animals were very injurious patterns by which novices in breeding wished to guide them. Every de- scription of them has been of extreme coarse- ness of frame and softness of flesh, and a paunch purposely made to consume expensive provender without profit. Mark how the brains of L. F. Allen and Am- brose Stevens used this supposed elevation of the Shorthorns—this portable caravansary, con- taining the show ox and white heifer as an example of exaltation in "American Shorthorn Herd Book" (page 5 or 6 of A^ol. II). What would either of these gentlemen say now should they see an exact picture of either, without flat- tery, transferred to the "American Shorthorn Herd Book" to compare with the flattering ones of John E. Page? When all of these flattering gentlemen speak of these "wonderful animals" they think "they struck lie," at the same time the Messrs. Col- lings-were taking a cross with the Galloways to reduce the Durhams' coarseness and improve their quality. Both were overgrown, overfed and forced to the extreme to create wonder, by which they did much to the injury of good breeding. Notice what stress Mr. L. F. Allen made on the craft of the Messrs. "Collings" when they started this wonderful caravansary. Barnum never succeeded so well. This, his strongest plea for Shorthorns, in the second vol- ume of the "American Shorthorn Herd Book." There were hundreds of Herefords that out- weighed them of far more compact character, supported with less feed and expense, less bone and offal, that were of far superior quality and held to their original character, which had been established for over a century without, like the Shorthorn, changing their pedigree into hodge- podge confusion, of which all the hidden secrets are coming to light. Old Father Time does much when he under- takes to search into the secrets of men's hearts. Mr. Allen also says in the same volume that Mr. Ceilings was a close man. Are we to infer from this that lie kept the stock bull in the dark and the show bull in the sunshine ? What will he say now, as he discovers those secrets are exposed? Probably Collmgs will "be in a fix" when he is compelled to reveal those secrets he kept in that closet. There has been more ni}'stery in breedma" Shorthorns than m any other course of breed- ing, but why should there be such mystery, un- less these breeders like darkness better than light? The deceit is far more injurious. It is now generally believed that the Shorthorns are a mixture of Durhams; the white cattle with red noses and red ears of Chillingham Park; the Dishley; the Devons; the Galloways; the West Highland, and last, though not least, the Herefords; at least in the Seventeens, which are now generally conceded to be the best of the American Shorthorn tribes. I have no objection whatever to this mixture; such experiments are beneficial, and are the art of good breeding, had they not been kept iu the dark; but the deception kills the merit due to it. Dukes, Duchesses, Lords and Ladies were superfluous names to exalt, and a sham to de- stroy "good breeding." They were fascinating to the moneyed man, who had more of it than brains, and who was extremely „_ _^ anxious for a con- spicuous title. The white-faces hold to their color and keep up their character for sym- metry, substance and quality, prin- cipally derived from good breed- ing. Their breed- ers have not stud- ied pedigree so ex- clusively; they have not pinned their faith en- tirely to it: know qualitv by the band, s\-m- metry by the eye. and. being aware of the su- perioritv and purity of their own breed over all others, have jealously exerted everv effort to keep it pure. Here let me quote a letter written to me by Wm. Cother, Middle Aston. Oxford- shire, England, which! had published in the Albany "Cultivator," page 132, August number, 1841, soon atter my first importation. [This letter we omit as it is produced in full in Chap- ter XI, to which the reader is referred. T. L. M.] I always considered Mr. Cother one of tha

knabe

more history, mostly from harlan ritchie's archives

Latest posts