Suck ups and Brown Nosers

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

Ok, Yes, I am feeling onery this morning.  This thread is a spinoff of the "Problems at the county fair" topic.  I thought we had a very interesting discussion!

I witnessed some kissing of the derrierre at a  livestock judging this weekend that was just legendary!  Three mothers following the coach around, hanging on his back pockets! 

They looked like lovesick teenagers...yuck.

What stories do you guys have?  Doesnt it just get past plain disgusting and turn into comedy?

kanshow

What about when the suckups turn themselves inside out to wait on the judge's every need when we all know the suckups wouldn't normally help anyone but themselves. 

red

well, my favorite is & will be the girl stuffing her bra. OH B- you know them, they a big winners at our fair.

I've just seen too many judges pick cattle what have passed through their barns. I think that should be a no-no.

Red

knabe

red said:
well, my favorite is & will be the girl stuffing her bra. OH B- you know them, they a big winners at our fair.

I've just seen too many judges pick cattle what have passed through their barns. I think that should be a no-no.

Red

how will the test be administered, DNA?

also, on the ladies following the judge, aren't they not supposed to be talking to them?

what about lady judges for beef?  saw a lady judge for dairy at the grand national last week.

red

Christy Collins, well known beef judge. We've had several judge in Ohio.

No, but most people know whoes barn calves have past through. No secret usually.

Red

cowz

I will open myself up for this one.  I am of the opinion that the female judges could possibly be so honored to be accepted and chosen to be a judge that they might be less apt to play politics....and just play it straight.

Also, I will go even further out on my limb....sorry girls.....nobody understands sucking up like a woman!!!!  sorry, sorry

And another thing....some of these "good old boys" that really play dirty politics really underestimate the power of the internet and "comparing notes".  Surely, the crooked ones are being invited out less.  (Unless they have friends on the show committees....haha)

knabe

red said:
No, but most people know whoes barn calves have past through. No secret usually.

Red

sorry to be ignorant on kickbacks, but do you mean passed through, ie, whose hands the steers have gone through?

do some people add money to the bred and owned or bred in the county or whatever it's called prize?  i'm not advocating eliminating any class or division here.

red

a lot of times a steer jock will buy calves from someone else & resell it. Some steers have passed trhough 2 or 3 people until it finally ends up in the final buyers hands. also a lot of judges to sellers are related whether it's a direct relationship or in-law's or close friends. It's generally a small world out there in the cattle trading business.

Red

itk

knabe said:
red said:

Red

how will the test be administered, DNA?

also, on the ladies following the judge, aren't they not supposed to be talking to them?

what about lady judges for beef?  saw a lady judge for dairy at the grand national last week.

I saw a really good female judge sorting the herefords when I was at Agribition. It was ten years ago so I don't remember her name but she had her husband as the associate judge. A few years later her husband judged the shorthorn show at Denver. Maybe JIT knows who I am talking about.

Cowboy

Hey cowz -- here's one for ya !!

In the 2002 show year -- we were over west of here before we came to McCook, the fair board had several members, one being a clubby breeder and a self proclaimed part time judge as well. His youngest kid had just gone off to college so he had no kids in the show.

Out back in the work up alley we were getting the kid's hfrs ready while he was watching every one. He walked up to the judge that had been hired for the show -- and I watched and HEARD him tell the judge who had bought cattle form him, who he liked, who HE wanted to make sure won and LOST. Our name was mentioned as being the LOSERS, and another name mentioned to be the winner who was dragging one of HIS sale hfrs (Actually -- a paper sale -- he still owned her). To clinch the deal, a 100 dollar bill just happened to fall out of this guys pocket, and low and behold, the honest judge saw it, picked it up and kept walking!

Want to know who won the show???? Wasn't our hfrs that's for sure!

I never said anything to the guy, but the next time he called to have a cow flushed, I was just TOTALLY too busy to fit him in! Go figure!

hehehehehe

Ah well, I should have just flushed his cow and made that the day the prices went up!!! Smart -?? Well, NOT! hehehe

Terry

How's that new baby????????

cowz

nutterbutter said:
Had a female do the european breeds of heifers at Houston this year. It was a train wreck. :eek:

this goes along with my original point.  Obviously, a judge that creates a train wreck is not qualified, regardless of gender!   She probably was dating the son of someone on the show committee.  suckingup!

Wouldnt it be cool if there was a list of judges that played it straight.  One good old boy offense and you were off the list?

There was a judge at a recent national show whose familie sells club lambs.  Guaranteed that several of the class winners in a cattle class also had bought lambs at one time or another from the judge.

knabe

best two judges in my opinion

bill jacobs  (only man i think to judge denver twice)
jarold callahan 

SWMO

knabe said:
red said:

Red
do some people add money to the bred and owned or bred in the county or whatever it's called prize?  i'm not advocating eliminating any class or division here.

I suggested adding a bred and owned catagory to our county fair and the most adamant opposition was

1.  It  is not fair to those kids that just go to the county fair and to no other shows.  They can't afford it.  (by the way as an aside we don't require registration papers to enter a breed animal at our fair) " It is too expensive for the kids to get their papers."   I have always contended that if you can afford the feed you can afford to register the animal.  IMO no papers = crossbred.  so what happens is that dad walks through the barn and decides what breed his kids calves will be this year.
And then of course the same people complain that so and so wins to much.  Unfortunately you can't have it both ways.

2.  It's too much work to sort through and determine bred and owned.

Know a girl that got a chest enhancement.  Looks great and the guys really eat it up.  Actually saw a judge lose his train of thought and verbage  while talking a class as she pulled her heifer by him.  Actually quite funny.  She was placed third or fourthinf the class so I'm not sure that it really helped her in that instance. :D

Rocky Hill Simmental

The first time I ever showed cattle, the judge was a female. She was a good judge. She actually looked at the cattle which is more than I can say about a lot of judges.  ::)

I have quite a good memory for cattle shows that I go to. I remember all the judges and who showed cattle in what class and how they placed. I just can't remember names.  lol

I saw a get-of-sire class once were they annouced the winners before half the people/cattle were in the ring.

AAOK

knabe said:
best two judges in my opinion

bill jacobs  (only man i think to judge denver twice)
jarold callahan 

Knabe, Knabe, Knabe...... Here is where we REALLY differ.  I don't at all respect the Judging of either of these two.  Callahan picks ONLY his buddies, and Bill Jacobs is with out a duobt the poorest of poor when it comes to breeding heifers.  He can find a decent steer, but the man couldn't find a heifer if you put a teat in his mouth!! 

red

we have a really nice bred & owned steer show. They pick the top 10. It's amazing seeing what comes from the county.

Red