This will be an interesting Fall to see results of the Angus Production Sales!

Help Support Steer Planet:

stick

6M, Look when Improver was born and how long it took for TH to rear its ugly head in Shorthorns.

Show Heifer

Come one dusty, at least of the guts to point the finger you so want to point.....

And no, unless a new defect shows up, I STILL have a defect free herd. Sorry to disappoint you.

As long as the TH/PHA users are honest, they are not pond scum, just , well, IMHO, being selfish and jeopordizing the breed they are dealing with, all for the sake of a purple ribbon.
If they are using carriers and are not honest, yes, they are far worse than pond scum. INVHO.

Have a great day.

justintime

I think this defect issue in the Angus may affect Angus sales for at least a little while. It has been reported that there may be as many as 1 million Angus cattle who carry this sire in their genetic make-up. I also spoke with two ring men on the weekend, who work numerous major sales, and they told me that they have each had 6 sales either postponed indefinitely,postponed until spring, or cancelled completely. This has all happened in the last week and they are concerned that there could  be many more. These guys said that two of the cancelled sales already had printed their sale catalogs.  They are concerned as these sales are important to their personal incomes, and they said they probably lost $8000 - $10,000 of income with these sales being cancelled.

The Angus breed has had several defects appear in recent years but this one is by far the farthest reaching. There are at least 5 other defects currently being monitored, one of which is dwarfism. It has been said that one genetic defect appears in every 100,000 births, so it is understandable why so many defects appear in a breed as large as the Angus breed. I have heard of another new defect in the Red side of the breed, but I have not heard what bloodlines are suspected to be the carriers. One Red Angus breeder told me that this new defect could hit the breed hard.  There are also defects in several other breeds , but we do not seem to hear much about them. Polled Herefords are supposed to have a defect that causes calves to be born without hair. I have not heard much about it, I know that at least 3 herds had reported calves a couple years ago.

DL

Here is a partial list of genetic defects for which the mutation has been identified - there are others which I will get my act together and add here. The Red Angus are now looking at Marble Bone, Angus looking at Fawn Calf and Long nosed dwarf, and of course we have spastic paresis, monkey mouth etc

Tibial Hemimelia - Shorthorn and Galloway - at least 2 mutations
Pulmonary Hypoplasia with Anasarca - Maine Anjou and Dexter - 2 mutations
Idiopathic Epilepsy - Hereford - 1 mutation
Dilution of Coat Color - 1 mutation in Simmental, Gelbvieh, Hereford; 1 mutation in Charolais
Dun Coat Color - Dexter - 1 mutation
Albinism - Braunvieh - 1 mutation
Long-nose Dwarf - Angus - 1 mutation
Bulldog Dwarfism - Dexter - 2 mutations
Double-Muscling - various breeds - 6-7 mutations
Bovine Luekocytoe Adhesion Deficiency - Holstein - 1mutation
Citrullinaemia  - Holstein - 1 mutation
Factor XI Deficiency - Holstein and Japanese Yellow - 2 different mutations
Deficiency of Uridine Monophosphate Synthase - Holstein - 1 mutation
Complex Vertebral Malformation - Holstein - 1 mutation
Syndactyly - Holstein, Angus and Simmental - at least 2 mutations
Congenital Muscular Dystony, Type 1 - Belgium Blue - 1 mutation
Congenital Muscular Dystony, Type 2 - Belgium Blue - 1 mutation
Ichthyosis Fetalis - Chianina - 1 mutation
Black/Red Coat Color - various breeds - 3-4 mutations - (only considered a defect by some breeds)
Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Brown Swiss possibly others - at least 1 mutation - some work still pending
Chediak-Higashi Syndrome of cattle - Japanese Black - 1 mutation
Chondrodysplastic Dwarfism - Japanese Brown - 1 mutation
Protoporphyria - Limousin - 1 mutation

Dusty

Show Heifer said:
Come one dusty, at least of the guts to point the finger you so want to point.....

What the hell are you talking about???

Jill

I keep hearing about how great the AAA is for printing this and listing bulls etc...  I can tell you with the legal system in this country the people you should be applauding are the bull owners, I can almost guarantee that the AAA didn't print those bull names without the bull owners consent.

Latest posts