Trustworthy - Lautner Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

ATM OH

Anyone have info on Phil Lautners new bull from last spring (2022) Trustworthy? Believe they took him to Cattlemen's Congress last year. I think he has a nice look and his video is impressive as well. I feel like he has flown under the radar. Should be calves on the ground this winter/spring.

Trustworthy-980x645.jpeg

knabe

heatwave in dam and sire close, but white bull. seems right type, but color is probably the big deal?

knabe

currently listed as available and trustworthy.

i guess i would doubt the not frozen rumor, as he's another never ending heat wave derivative that no one seems to be able to displace.

Last edited:

ATM OH

He has definitely frozen. Just ordered a few from SEK. What is the concern with his color? Chance of throwing rat tails?

knabe

He has definitely frozen. Just ordered a few from SEK. What is the concern with his color? Chance of throwing rat tails?

no concern on color. it's a white double heatwave, so not that common and gives people options.

ATM OH

I agree Knabe. Good point. Anxious to see calves. If we get any in 2024 I'll update everyone.

beebe

Forgive my ignorance, but do these club calf type cattle have value in the real world? Is there a practical application for them outside of the show ring?

beebe

Depends upon what kind of calves you want. They will help affect change in body mass and rib shape and needed thickness on some types of cattle.
My ideal cow is frame score 4, 1250 pounds that stays fat year round and produces calves that produce tender gourmet beef on nothing but grass. I know the show ring doesn't care about tender but there might accidently be something out there that could produce tender. I also want very docile cattle.

knabe

Forgive my ignorance, but do these club calf type cattle have value in the real world? Is there a practical application for them outside of the show ring?

an old poster on here, chambero, used to think so. i don't have enough exposure to them to know. i've seen a lot of graded cattle on the hook (hundreds) of all types and breeds which is not possible anymore, including show calves, but the show calves were mostly they were underfed for a variety of reasons, so unless i could actually see them i don't know. i have seen a few winners, runner-ups that were both finished and not finished. it's just the way things are. i guess i would be happy that people try.

i think the value they offer, is a whole chain of transactions and jobs, fun etc. for a lot of people.

knabe

there might accidently be something out there that could produce tender.

Piedmontese do this with a single copy of the double muscling gene and are also lean. the mutation is way downstream in the protein compared to the mutation in other breeds, so the protein has an intermediate effect with a single copy. the other breed's mutation doesn't work (make it tender) unless it's homozygous which has all sorts of problems. the pieds have been living with this for quite a while and are not so visually hugely double muscled.

the meat is usually in italian grocery stores and is very good. the filet's are a little mushy since they are already tender to begin with. but what is cool, is that the "lesser" cuts are more tender as well.

to get tender meat with genetics, maybe 35% of the total effect with the rest being environment (feeding, penned, who knows), one must have multiple genes acting in concert to approach anywhere near the pied's.

i would try it and compare to your grass-fed steaks for reference. in general, i would say they taste less of hemoglobin (blood) than other meat. the rib-eyes are spectacular.

knabe

i did see cowtown in a pasture with some cows and a couple of others similary bred. i can't remember if cowtown was a clone of a winning steer, but whatever that bull's name was, i saw that one too. a professor at a college in Texas was leasing bulls. seemed to have a pretty good program. i think the most interesting thing to observe, was the cows and calves, and not the bulls. he had probably 250-300 cows. i will say i was shocked how small a couple of these bull were, but they did look cool, just not "real world" as you say.

beebe

I might experiment with Piedmont as you can sell the calves at a premium. I could keep a few to eat.

mark tenenbaum

Heres one who barely weighed 900 when she weaned her first calf pictured next All either got was grass-She got pulled down hard the way he grew though -He was around 630 when this picture was taken a month after weaning

Attachments

• calypso pretty mountain pic IMG_6525 (2).jpg
    calypso pretty mountain pic IMG_6525 (2).jpg
    616.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Resized_2.jpg calypso kid.jpg
    Resized_2.jpg calypso kid.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 11