What club calf, Shorthorn or Maine bulls have good dispositions?

Help Support Steer Planet:

idaho cowgirl

Kids shouldn't have to put up with bad dispositioned cattle but there is very little information on dispositions. Can someone offer some advice? I of course want quality cattle too!

red

idaho cowgirl said:
Kids shouldn't have to put up with bad dispositioned cattle but there is very little information on dispositions. Can someone offer some advice? I of course want quality cattle too!
Idaho Cowgirl, I agree with you 100%. Disposition is very important. Many factors influence how cattle behave but some lines are worse than others.
I've always heard that Heat Seeker's can be hard to handle. I know that some people have problems with Habanero females being a little testy. My Habanero cow is a great head shaker & don't go near her when she has a calf at her side! Many of the Maine influence cattle usually have very good dispositions but of course there is always exceptions.
Anyone else out there have any suggestions? ???
Red

justme

Our Witch Dr. calves always have been good natured and were good cattle.  Our oldest herd bull...his calves were babydolls, but that won't help ya there lol.

AAOK

Everything I can add is strictly theory on my part; no scientific evidence.  From my 17 years (not long at all compared to some) of messing with Show Calves, I have come to believe their dispositions are much like humans.  I feel like their environment has much more to do with how they act and react than does their genetics.  If you have seen the movie, The Horse Whisperer, that's what I mean.  We are around the calves constantly from birth; always moving slowly, and quiently, with no sudden moves, and absolutely no correction by force or anger.  Our cows, calves, and bulls are all tame as Lap Dogs.  My next statement conflicts with the last because it has much to do with Genetics, but not the Bull.  I can not remember one single time that a calf has not had virtually the same temperament as it's Dam.  The cows are calm, therefore the calves react in the same way.  Baby see, baby do.

All in all, my feeling is two fold concerning cattle dispositions.  Calves from calm Dams will have good dispositions, and if they are gently broke, pampered, and cared for, they will remain good tempered.  In the wrong hands, any of them can go bad.  My advice is never buy a calf without seeing the Dam.  If she has her head in the air, and eyes glazed, don't buy her calf.
Dan   

DL

Really good question and one that lots of people don't consider (and then they want to drug the calf becuase it is so high strung).

General consensus is that there are 2 basic components to disposition or temperament - genetics and environment (basically the old nature nurture debate).

Best thing to do is go to see the calves when they are with the cows - I agree 100% with the tall one AAOK - like mother like daughter. I have calves that are basically halter broke - always from the same dams. I got so used to this that I was pretty shocked the first time I put a halter on a calf it behaved like an idiot!

I think Maines for the most part have great temperament - their quiet disposition was an important attribute in their job as dual purpose cattle in France. However, as we dilute out those genes to get the great hairy show calf sometimes the disposition suffers. 

I work with a lot of other peoples cattle. Besides Maines, I like (purebred) Shorthorns. I personally find the disposition of most Angus, Chi and Salars not to my liking. Limi's have worked hard on their disposition (it was pretty rank there for a while) and it has lead to great improvements. Not much experience with Gelbvieh, but I think they are ok.

I also think the human attitude has a big role here -and understanding how cattle move and think. I have seen guys chase a cow with a 2x4 cow doesn't go where they wnat - call cow stupid - is cow stupid? Not in my book - who would want to be anywhere near that raving lunatic!

There are good and bad apples from any bull but I have been generally pleased with the disposition of my Topper's, Witch Doctors, WD40s, Midas, Cigar, Payoff, Gold Medallion - I love my Magic and Impact cows -

JMO - Look at the mother - if she is a fruit loop the calf doesn't fall far from the cow!  ;)

shortdawg

All the Sonny calves I own have very good dispositions. Shorthorn cattle are for the most part docile. You can get crazy one every now and then. We also have Double Vision , Trump , Thriller , and Gold Link calves as well as some out of our Sonny son and all are docile.

genes

I agree...environment and genetics.  Our old angus bull (just retired  :() threw great dispositions.  I could really tell when I showed something NOT out of him...how much I appreciated him.  But even he couldn't make the ones out of the worst cows into puppy dogs.  When the calves were little and we had to treat them or something...that is when we knew automatically who was out of who.

But then obviously the same animal will be quieter if used to people and handled more.

I do think it is something clubbie people should consider as these are mostly going to be shown by kids.  I can't say which bulls throw good dispostions though, as I don't have clubbies.  I have one WMW grandaughter that is dead quiet but an absolute brat in terms of actually behaving.  I got the impression from the seller that a lot of their bulls calves had that personality.  But I don't know if that came through WMW or the dams side.

mark tenenbaum

This is a thread that I always remembered-and certainly deserves revisiting for the comments rendered. Back when the Planet had real issues explored. And REAL PEOPLE SPOKE From EXPERIENCE AND EXPRESSED THEIR IDEAS  There were not any stupid useless Bot INHABITANTS OF SQUALID HORRIFIC "CULTURES" to deal with  O0

knabe

i liked anything crossed on amerifax.

also, if you end up bottle feeding a maine, you might want to watch out later when it's in heat.

misty

I have a heifer out of Here I Am who is wild as the wind her mother is one of the tamest cows we have walks right up to you
and licks you is this normal for Here I Am calves

CRS

This is a Sublime heifer out of a HIA. She’s so tame she’s a nuisance at times. All of his calves can be shown as high chi. All of the Dual Threat sired calves have great dispositions and pass it on.

Attachments

• 6E2E703D-AFCE-47ED-96FA-EC60C9AD5E61.jpeg
    6E2E703D-AFCE-47ED-96FA-EC60C9AD5E61.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 4C7313FB-6551-462F-A943-E1ECCEC118D6.jpeg
    4C7313FB-6551-462F-A943-E1ECCEC118D6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

mark tenenbaum

Hey sublime its BOBO (Mark T) that heifer is right there with that Sweet Willie over in sales that got bought if not More So. Me and Gargan are gonna use him thanks. My question is why you didnt try putting him on SEK Coovers a good guy-and hed eat him up. Especially being a double WHO DAH MAN. Dont want to steal the thread or whatever- But Comptons How Its Done is on display now- REAL Green at the cattle congress -And almost thin hes pushing a ton-He wont be 2 till mid April LEGIT BW OF 68-LEGIT YEARLING OF 1264 BUT IVE HANDLED HIM and taken him on one of his many trips to Nichols -and brought him back to Comptons .Hes as easy going as any bull Ive ever been around AND THE THICKEST HIGHEST PERFORMING HONEST PUREBRED SHORTHORN GOING.RIGHT NOW. AND THE BREED NEEDS ALL THE HELP IT CAN GET. If you have time theres a thread here with quick pics down there RE Comptan brought a chutefull. Im thinking your bull on his daughters or maybe try vice versa

CRS

Thanks Mark. He really seems to be working on everything we’ve thrown at him. He just makes really good cattle. Just have to watch linebreeding him back to other WDM genetics, they can get a little big. Here’s a mature picture taken a week or so ago.

Attachments

• 6AAE7022-5571-4ECE-983E-F37D6322C15F.jpeg
    6AAE7022-5571-4ECE-983E-F37D6322C15F.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 18