Why do you like your breed of cattle?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

Bryan does a good job of putting togather a good set of bulls. I have a grandson of the Sensation 702E bull that I'm using on a group of heifers. I have seen some really good calves out of the Karweik 1P bull as well. I wish I would have used 22D more before the semen got so limited - real cow power!

TJ

Show Heifer said:
True Road Warrior, EPD's are only as good as the people turning them in. BUT, as you are not willing to see a judge use an unsound animal with good epd's, I am tired of judges using "pretty" animals that HAVE NO EPDS! Or awful ones at best! You can't justify either extreme. So I hope that the red breed uses the EPD's as a tool, as well as the show ring for eye appeal.
I know it is hard to believe, but I honestly think you can have the best of both worlds, IF you are willing to work for it, and row your own boat....and that is something very few people are willing to do. ???

15 years ago, I would have agreed with you, but all people seem to want to do with EPD's are to pick the highest numbers (opposite for BW).  IMHO, Higher YW will often = larger frame scores which will = higher feed costs which will = less profit for the commercial guy in the long run. 

red

what TJ? nothing on why you like lowlines? I expected a book or novelette from you at least!!! (clapping)

Red

knabe

I'm being naive here, but how is a judge supposed to use epd's when he's judging and isn't supposed to know the breeding, tenderness stars etc, but is just looking at the individuals before them?  if they can use breeding and epd's, i would like to be able to put tenderness and carcass stars on the halter!

is it because everyone knows whose cattle is whose by the time the big shows come around or is the person at the halter having undue influence?

ROAD WARRIOR

Show Dad said:
RW - You seem to be a good judge of cattle. It's a gift. I am trying to become better at it my self as well as help my kids aquire the ability. So whats the secret?

I don't know if there is a "secret" other than being observant. Ive been on the show road for pushing 30 years and have seen alot of trends come and go. I guess when I look at cattle I start at the ground and go up with my theory being that if you don't have good feet and legs the rest of the package doesn't matter much. Kind of like building a house on a foundation made of sand - yes the house may be reaaly nice but it won't last long without a good foundation. cattle are the same way. Start with good feet and legs and the rest will be pretty easy to follow with.

TJ

red said:
what TJ? nothing on why you like lowlines? I expected a book or novelette from you at least!!! (clapping)

Red

Don't tempt me, Red, or I just might do it!!  ;) (lol)

I am just swamped right now & trying to play catch up.  But, since you are twisting my arm...

In a nutshell, I like Lowlines because...

They are all DNA tested 100% Angus & can be traced all the way back to Scotland. 
Most, if not all, trace back to Blackcap Revolution, a Chicago International Champion & Earl Marshall, who produced at least 9 Chicago Champions.

They are homozygous polled.
They look like the Angus cattle used to look.
They are absolutely unbeatable for use on 1st calf heifers!!   
They eat less feed.
They usually have small, nice, tight udders.
They have a tremendous ability to convert grass into lbs.
They have a tremendous amount of natural fleshing ability.
They are very efficient.
They usually have very large rib eyes per 100 lbs. of body weight.
The meat is usually very tender.
They are perfect for the grass-fed/freezer beef market.
They are very docile!!
They cross very well with just about anything.
The 1/2 blood calves will grow better & bigger than most people realize!! 
The 1/2 blood cattle are the best looking cattle at our place.
They downsize large frame cattle. 
The demand is high & it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all.
They now come in Black or Red (although the Red ones are very pricey!!).
I am making $$!!!!

Just off the top of my head, those are the obvious reasons why I like Lowlines.  ;D

Not that I like this part, but some on this board might...

The percentage registered Lowline cattle can look like a rainbow... blue roans, brindles, belted, white faces, greys, white with black points, etc.... In other words, pick your color.  I've even seen a few with white belts & white faces that somewhat look like a Panda.  But, those wild color schemes are more of a novelty & probably hurt the breed in the eyes of the commercial people more than it helps. 

red

I just knew TJ wouldn't let me down!

Hope things are better w/ you & your family.

Red

cowgirl

OH Breeder said:
I am not sure what a "bull permit" is?
Interesting, I think the 100 Canadian works out to 94.89 american. Is there any pictures of his progency out there?
Bull permit or AI cert ---same thing

cowgirl

OH Breeder said:
Great Information. I just cant' help but think I really like the looks of this heifer. I am facinated with the potential that could come from this mating. I am not a purist by any means and believe there is always room to improve. But, you don't ever hear many Red Angus folks talk about the Durham program.

I think there are two Major reasons why the red angus breed has not tried to promote the durham reds.  One is because our main customers are commercial cattlemen so obviously we are going to promote our Pro-cow and feeder calf programs to them.  The other reason is because we simply do NOT want to get any of those nasty litte  "genetic defects" started in our breed.

shortyjock89

cowgirl said:
OH Breeder said:
Great Information. I just cant' help but think I really like the looks of this heifer. I am facinated with the potential that could come from this mating. I am not a purist by any means and believe there is always room to improve. But, you don't ever hear many Red Angus folks talk about the Durham program.

I think there are two Major reasons why the red angus breed has not tried to promote the durham reds.  One is because our main customers are commercial cattlemen so obviously we are going to promote our Pro-cow and feeder calf programs to them.  The other reason is because we simply do NOT want to get any of those nasty litte  "genetic defects" started in our breed.

Don't forget that Red Angus are the result of a "Genetic Defect".  I know that TH and PHA are not welcome in RA and shouldn't be.  But there are alot of good sires and dams in the Shorthorn breed that could add alot to RA and vice-versa...I just don't know that there are enough breeders on both sides for Durham Red to really take off. Red Angus are rare here in IL, but Shorthorns are Plentiful, and we get an earful about Durham Reds..but no one really does alot with it because there aren't any shows for them, and most folks that have Shorthorns around show them..and that excellent Brood Cow prospect just isn't going to beat a clubby, crippled up fat sow that's black in the AOB/Crossbred Division....I wish that the Durham would win, but not around here with these judges..but that's for another post...

cowgirl

shortyjock89 said:
cowgirl said:
OH Breeder said:

Don't forget that Red Angus are the result of a "Genetic Defect".  I know that TH and PHA are not welcome in RA and shouldn't be.  But there are alot of good sires and dams in the Shorthorn breed that could add alot to RA and vice-versa...I just don't know that there are enough breeders on both sides for Durham Red to really take off. Red Angus are rare here in IL, but Shorthorns are Plentiful, and we get an earful about Durham Reds..but no one really does alot with it because there aren't any shows for them, and most folks that have Shorthorns around show them..and that excellent Brood Cow prospect just isn't going to beat a clubby, crippled up fat sow that's black in the AOB/Crossbred Division....I wish that the Durham would win, but not around here with these judges..but that's for another post...

But the red gene wasn't a life threatening defect.  As a Red Angus breeder I obviously don't want to discourage people from using our genetics ,but I hope that if they do they make good sound mating decisions so that they don't potentially cause more harm than good.
My experience selling red angus in IL is that most people are still on the "Black Bandwagon" and it has been hard the last couple of years to change things.

shortyjock89

You are absolutely right, the Red gene is definately not a life-threatening defect.  And again, you're right in saying that IL is still on the black bandwagon...when we were choosing a breed for show animals, we nearly chose Red Angus, but there are just not enough breeders around here to make is feasible.  RA is an excellent breed that has a tremendous commercial market.  I'm glad that the breed doesn't follow the showring fads like all the other breeds, but it makes it hard to own Red Angus show animals in IL because they're not crippled black furballs...it's sad.

ROAD WARRIOR

A friend of mine that lives in Illinois says there is a black breeder on every corner. That might be just a little exageration but his point is that there are a tremendous amount of black cattle in his state. Many breeders = many cattle - common sence tells me that if there is an abundance of bulls for sale in any one area, the laws of supply and demand take over and the commercial man with cows just because he has x amount of acres that they can't drag a corn planter over will be bargain shopping, looking for a cow freshener. He knows that at the local sale barn black hided calves will bring a premium over colored calves (in most cases) so he buys the cheapest black cow freshener he can find, not having any idea of genetics or possible problems. Our area used to be exactly the same way. It has taken several years to develope a red market but if we ever get them one sold they will be back, I've been told by several customers that even though they take a few cents less for their red calves the pounds m ore than make up the difference. Edgucate your buyers if you can get them to listen - it's a long hard road but worth the drive if you truley believe in your cattle.

DL

Technically speaking the red allele isn't really a defect it is a different allele for the color gene - just like blue eyes, dimples, being able to curl your tongue in humans - now the Black Angus people may consider it a defect, but they have always been a little different and they dress better than the rest of us!  ;D 

In TH the gene has a chunk missing and in PHA of Maine origin there is a substitution while in Dexter PHA there is a chunk missing - now there is a cocktail fact for ya!

The midwest, esp IL, IN, MI and Ohio, is pretty black hided, although also lots of Shorthorns ...............

RW - fyi I have confirmed 2 RA pregnancies in my heifers - both purebred Maines, one red one black (think she is probably homozygous black) so that should be interesting - used Heavenly 8141, but now have your knowledge for the next go round...

the angus111

DL, ONLY THE BIG BOYS DRESS NICER AND I GUESS WHEN YOU GOT $$ YOU ACT DIFFERENT.ITS TOUGH BEING A SMALL FRENCH FRY IN A HAPPY MEAL!RUSTY

DL

The A3 ( the "the" is sort of like THE ohio State or THE John's Hopkins University)

You may now consider yourself an icon in the happy meal of life - the last calf of the season was named in your honor - as I mentioned earlier my heat detection was pretty pi** poor last year because the 400 year old maple obscured the view - of course I didn't realize this until the ice storm knocked down a few branches - then I decided it was time for a trim - and wow I can see my cows again) anyhow this resulted in several late calves - the last of which is a very good looking big (but not dumb boy) - brain is good, cute as a button, great suck and boy does he wap that udder. The first thing he did when I tried to get him up to walk to the barn was a complete summersault - head down right over - please welocme in honor of THE A3
TUMBLEWEED

the angus111

DL, I would of bought into that if you would of said he is kinda dumb,my daughter thinks i have good suck also!she always tells me i suck.i guess next time i will say thank you!as we get older,do you find it easier to say things that might not be politically correct or maybe even blunt or rude.i find myself rambling on,sticking my foot in mouth.whereas 10 years ago i would not dare say what i saynow.anyways thanks,i think!rusty

DL

THE A3 - He is cute as a button and for a calf that outweighs the farmer smart as a tack and vigorous- I can't however convince him to wear either orange bell bottoms or a purple tube top - he is still young thought - there is time! Think of it this way, other than BFLO Sabres hocky defensemen (and Little Eva the one hit wonder with Locomotion) there have been no calves on my farm named for people - that puts you in a very elite group! ;D

Latest posts