YOUR Favorite Bull!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

maverick

SRU said:
put up some calf pictures.  for a sire of his age the proof is in the puddin'.
SDR,
I have a couple of pictures - none of them are very good. We only bred him to angus type cows - we had some nice cavles  but no great ones. He produced great market cattle they grew really well.  He had a couple of calves win there class at the county fair, but never a grand or reserve.  I am sure he is only worth market price. I will post the pictures I found.  The white face is one of the 2007 heifers I keep out of hime. THe other is a steer that was shown in 2006.

Attachments

• jeffandjazz.jpg
    jeffandjazz.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 463

dori36

SRU said:
put up some calf pictures.  for a sire of his age the proof is in the puddin'.

I couldn't agree more.  Having a bull that looks great,  himself, but doesn't have great offspring doesn't mean much.  So, your post inspired me to put up a few of the zillions of pics I have of calves I've raised by ABF Fitz S219, my fullblood Lowline bull.  Some are in pasture, a couple are in the ring, 2 are halfbloods.  What I like to see is calves that look just as good slick as they do hairy and groomed.

Attachments

• P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 470
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 455
  • P1010019.JPG
    P1010019.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 469
  • P1010035.JPG
    P1010035.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 452
  • flissychnile.07.JPG
    flissychnile.07.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 451

TJ

SRU said:
shorthorn cows for sale

buying lowlines

Ooops!  I misfired!! Sorry!  Here goes attempt #2...

Here are some Doc Holliday calves...  I've got some really nices ones this year & I will start taking some pics of them soon.  Also, some other people are "SUPPOSED" to be sending me some pics of Doc babies, but not sure when they will arrive.  In the meantime, here is a fullblood heifer that was Res. Calf Champion @ KC and a couple of Doc calves raised by a commercial breeder.  One is heifer calf out of a commercial Angus cow.  The other is a smokey steer out of a commercial Charolais cow.  The Lowline X Charolais X calf weighed over 500 lbs. @ 7 months, with no creep feed... all grass!    

In the 2nd heifer pic, standing behind the Lowline X Commercial Angus calf, is a full sized Red Angus X Charolais, 1st calf heifer with her white Lowline X calf.  That white calf is 45 days younger than the heifer & he was sired by another of my Lowline bulls (a Transam son), not Doc.  You can see the size difference in the 2 calves & also you can compare her to the full sized commercial heifer that is nursing her 1st calf.   Also, in the 3rd pic from the top, you can see the dam of the Lowline X Charolais bull is standing beside him off to the right.  Despite small birth weights & frame sizes, these 1/2 blood Lowlines are NOT LITTLE BITTY LIGHT WEIGHTS!!   

Here is another pic. The bottom heifer out of a commercial Angus (<---certainly not show quality stuff) 1st calf heifer & sired by Doc Holliday.

Attachments

• Days Lowline X Angus.jpg
    Days Lowline X Angus.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 364
  • Cows 053.jpg
    Cows 053.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 399
  • Cows 067.jpg
    Cows 067.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 404
  • Doc Heifer.jpg
    Doc Heifer.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 740

dori36

SRU said:
shorthorn cows for sale

buying lowlines

Yay!!!  Actually, don't dump those Shorthorns.  Probably the most outstanding half Lowline bull I've ever seen is half Shorthorn.  He's black but with some obvious roaning and just as fancy, thick, and correct as you can get. He was Gr. Ch. % Lowline Bull at Denver this year.  Nope, he's not by my bull!

TJ

dori36 said:
SRU said:
shorthorn cows for sale

buying lowlines

Yay!!!  Actually, don't dump those Shorthorns.  Probably the most outstanding half Lowline bull I've ever seen is half Shorthorn.  He's black but with some obvious roaning and just as fancy, thick, and correct as you can get. He was Gr. Ch. % Lowline Bull at Denver this year.  Nope, he's not by my bull!

That is great news!  O.F.S. isn't ready to give up Shorthorns by any means, but I think he's caught (or is at least catching) the Percentage Lowline bug, as in Lowline X Shorthorns.  Like you, I think that will be a great cross.   

BTW, the Lowline X Shorthorn heifer that won the percentage Show at Kansas City & another Lowline X Shorthorn heifer that won at Houston, were both outstanding.  I haven't seen the National Champion Percentage Bull in person (he looks good in his pictures), so I'm still anxiously awaiting to see a tremendous Lowline X Shorthorn bull.  The person who raises it, will probably be able to pick the price!

dori36

TJ said:
dori36 said:
SRU said:
shorthorn cows for sale

buying lowlines

That is great news!  O.F.S. isn't ready to give up Shorthorns by any means, but I think he's caught (or is at least catching) the Percentage Lowline bug, as in Lowline X Shorthorns.  Like you, I think that will be a great cross. 

BTW, the Lowline X Shorthorn heifer that won the percentage Show at Kansas City & another Lowline X Shorthorn heifer that won at Houston, were both outstanding.  I haven't seen the National Champion Percentage Bull in person (he looks good in his pictures), so I'm still anxiously awaiting to see a tremendous Lowline X Shorthorn bull.  The person who raises it, will probably be able to pick the price!
be
The owner of the Denver % champion is Glenn Benjamin from Simla, CO.  He's collecting him so semen will be,or is, available.  The Gr. Ch % Female at Denver was also a half Shorthorn/half Lowline.

showtime

Hey RSC,

I've been a fan of IC for sometime. The main reason because I've seen some really nice replacement heifers that most breeders would'nt sell. Whats he work best on and whats the mature cows like.

Thanks
Showtime

RSC

showtime said:
Hey RSC,

I've been a fan of IC for sometime. The main reason because I've seen some really nice replacement heifers that most breeders would'nt sell. Whats he work best on and whats the mature cows like.

Thanks
Showtime
Worked real well on Black impact(Open Bar), have seen him work great on commercial Herford and Angus, Northern Improvement(Incognito's Breeding) as well as low % simi's.  I think the black impact and Northern Improvement works real well.  Most people have used him on Maines but he makes very competitive County fair steers and heifers on commercial cows.  His full sister worked very well this year flushed to Heatwave.  A full flush female raised another one recently that looks like she should do very well later this Summer.

Below are a few recent IC calves.

1.  3 wk old Steer out of low % Simi
2.  Not sure on Cow side but a heifer that was raised In Canada and has been doing some good.
3. IC x Full Flush
4. IC x I believe a Throttle bred cow (Champion Heavy Wt Div, Michigan State fair a couple years ago)

RSC

Attachments

• Mich_Steer_2_ezr.jpg
    Mich_Steer_2_ezr.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 954
  • 08 Chester Hfr.jpg
    08 Chester Hfr.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 647
  • Canada Ice Chest Heifer Final.jpg
    Canada Ice Chest Heifer Final.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 644
  • Chester Picture Dads.jpg
    Chester Picture Dads.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 650

shortyisqueen

I think Sonny would have to be one of my favorites as well.

This Sonny son who we raised is another of my favorites, on a more personal note, as he was probably the one that broke the ice for us in the show ring, and was never beaten, even as a bull calf...so I'm a bit of a softy for him. Some of you will probably recognize him. In the spirit of the 'herd bulls in their working clothes thread,' here he is getting dirty.

Attachments

• canasta.jpg
    canasta.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 364
  • canasta-head.jpg
    canasta-head.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 388

TJ

dori36 said:
TJ said:
dori36 said:
SRU said:
shorthorn cows for sale

buying lowlines

be
The owner of the Denver % champion is Glenn Benjamin from Simla, CO.  He's collecting him so semen will be,or is, available.  The Gr. Ch % Female at Denver was also a half Shorthorn/half Lowline.

The Grand Percentage Heifer at Houston was the same one that won Grand at Denver.  She's really good.  

RE the Grand Percentage Bull... Glenn Benjamin has some real good cattle, I like his Absolut bull, I trust your judgement & obviously the judge picked that Lowline X Shorthorn as the Grand Champ Bull for a reason.  I wish that I had seen Glenn's bull in person, especially a rear view & seen him walk, because I've got an awfully good 1/2 blood bull myself and he beat several of those Colorado raised Lowline X Shorthorns & Lowline X Maines (including beating Trevors bull & one of Glenn's bulls) to win Grand Champion Percentage Bull at Kansas City & I'd like to see how they would stack up.                            

shortyisqueen

He was actually about 10 and a half months in the picture, as he was a January born. He weighed 1123 when it was taken, with a 3.58 WPDA. He does look younger than that in the picture though, he was still pretty fresh at that show. We showed him on his dam during the summer, and she has so much milk that her calves usually won't eat much grain until they are weaned...but I guess that cuts down on the feed bill!!!

SRU said:
is he about 7 -8 months there?

Doc

Shorthorn_Junkie said:
I would have to say that this one is my favorite.   

NPS Durango 774 CBH

Thanks Shorthorn Junkie as I am very partial to him also . Durango is a bull that I own with my very good friends at Martindell Farms. He works on a lot of different cows , but the magic cross seems to be on Trump cows. Solution, Primo, Ringo & all of the flushmates are out of a Durango dtr. He also has some very good EPD's.

dori36

shortyisqueen said:
I think Sonny would have to be one of my favorites as well.

This Sonny son who we raised is another of my favorites, on a more personal note, as he was probably the one that broke the ice for us in the show ring, and was never beaten, even as a bull calf...so I'm a bit of a softy for him. Some of you will probably recognize him. In the spirit of the 'herd bulls in their working clothes thread,' here he is getting dirty.

I really like this guy!  Lots of balance and thickness!