08 Trucks

Help Support Steer Planet:

Limiman

hi everyone
I was wondering what eveyone is getting for mileage with their 08 trucks. We are looking to trade and curious to see if there is a difference in fuel mileage between the duramax, powerstroke and cummins?
Thanks

BCCC

the 08 dodges (6.7L( are doign worth a crap, about 16 tops, nothing compared to the 22 that the older ones were getting

the 08 ford twin turbo (6.4L), are turing out like the 6.0,(like crap) if gona get a ford get an 03 with a 7.3 its a great engine but 03 is when they stopped making it

dont know one the chevy part of it

get a 06-07 dodge with very little miles and you wont be losing as much money as you would if you bought a brand new one and lose a lot just driving it off the lot

showsteerdlux

BCCC said:
if gona get a ford get an 03 with a 7.3 its a great engine but 03 is when they stopped making it
The last year that they made the 7.3 is the 02 models and the 03's had the 6.0.

Doc

showsteerdlux said:
BCCC said:
if gona get a ford get an 03 with a 7.3 its a great engine but 03 is when they stopped making it
The last year that they made the 7.3 is the 02 models and the 03's had the 6.0.

Gotta back BCCC up on this one, in '03 they made both. Have a friend with a '06 F450, went  to a dealership that sells Fords & Dodges both to trade in on a Dodge Megacab & the salesman told him he didn't know what they could allow him on his Ford,because they were having to many problems with the 6.0 .

showsteerdlux

Not to argue but I thought that the 03's came out in late 02 with the 6.0 reason I say this is that I know of 2 or 3 people who bought used 02's instead of the 03 with the new engine and the other way around. The engine type is according to our local dealer. I will agree that the 6.0s were not the best in the world. Alot of people had extensive turbo problems all the way from 03's to 06's.

Doc

showsteerdlux said:
Not to argue but I thought that the 03's came out in late 02 with the 6.0 reason I say this is that I know of 2 or 3 people who bought used 02's instead of the 03 with the new engine and the other way around. The engine type is according to our local dealer. I will agree that the 6.0s were not the best in the world. Alot of people had extensive turbo problems all the way from 03's to 06's.

I spent 6 months hunting the right used Ford before I bought last Sept., & that was the confusing part on the '03 models was I couldn't go on the year only. I've also got 2 friends with '03 CC dualies with the 7.3 in them.

BCCC

I dont know but last year we owned a 2003 f 350 dually with a 7.3 in it and i just saw an 03 ford with a 7.3 in it

uluru

I have an dually 08 chevy 3500 Diesel Duramax with an Allison tranny
I have about 12,000 miles on it now.
I get 18 -20 mpg US gallon on the hwy empty.
Pulling my 5th wheel RV -13,000lbs with lots wind resistance I got 10 mpg coming from Florida to Ontario three weeks ago
In both cases this is 2 mpg better than I could ever get with my dually 2005 chevy with the diesel duramax/allison tranny 
It is also better than I got with my 2002 7.3 Ford
I would get 6 - 8 pulling the same 5er with it.

TPX

I was told to stay away from all the new trucks if you want to burn died diesel b/c they wont take it b/c of the new injectors that they are putting in all the new trucks. I know this for a fact in the dodge and ford trucks b/c two people that we know have had lots of problems since they got theres and I have heard that the chevys are just as bad.  Sounds like you are better off looking for a good used truck with low miles.

DLD

I'm with Doc and BCCC, the 7.3L and 6.0L Powerstrokes overlapped in the '03 model year (just like 5.9's and 6.7's overlapped in the '07 Dodges). The 6.0's had their issues, especially in the '03 and '04 model years, but the '05 - '07's were alot better. The vast majority of the problems were with motors that were heavily modified, or abused, or both. My '05 has over 80K miles with no major problems.

I did get the chance to drive an '08 F450 crew cab 4x4 King Ranch with the 6.4 just last night. It had the computer mileage display, and I never saw it show over 13.2 mpg, and that's cruising empty at 60 - 65 mph. Realizing though that it is an F450 with 4.88 gears, 19.5" wheels and a #14,500 gvwr - an F350 should be better, an F250 better still... It is however, far and away the nicest one I've ever been in - gps/nav system, reverse camera, not to mention the common stuff like adjustable pedals, power sliding rear window, moonroof, dual climate control, you name it, it has it. It would be a great ride to take to shows...

Mileage seems to vary as much from one individual truck to the next as it does between brands. I believe driving style has as much to do with it as anything. They all build good trucks, but they've all got their issues, too - especially the first year or two of a new engine or drivetrain or body style or whatever. Buy the one you like best, that'll give you the best odds of being happy with it.

Doc

DLD, did they ask you to leave your 1st born with the salesman to take that test drive? To buy that truck I could sell all my cattle & tractors , keep my trailer & still be able to go to the stockyard & talk about the cattle market being tough, but I sure would look good doing it.LOL

sawboss

I drive a '01 F-250 Crew Cab with 205,000 miles, the only engine work I have had done is to replace an alternator and water pump.  I will not buy anything new due to the problems and loss of value off the lot.  This truck will be handed to my oldest son and I will seek a low mileage '02, they are out there but hard to find at a fair price.  The last one I found had 80,000 and was priced at $26,000.

ELBEE

I believe Ford used a different "Power Stroke" emblem on the front doors. Once you can discern them, you can tell the difference between a 7.3 and 6.0 at a glance.

Angie has an 04- 6.0 and loves it, not so bad on diesel either. But it's never been worked very hard!

DLD

Doc said:
DLD, did they ask you to leave your 1st born with the salesman to take that test drive? To buy that truck I could sell all my cattle & tractors , keep my trailer & still be able to go to the stockyard & talk about the cattle market being tough, but I sure would look good doing it.LOL

LOL! No doubt they would've, Doc, but it wasn't a test drive. It belongs to a friend of a friend, I guess you'd say. Long story, but the upshot is my friend had it borrowed to pull my trailer loaded with furniture he was taking to his niece. I actually ended up pulling my trailer (6'8" x 24' Circle D steel) with it a couple of miles - you could hardly tell it was back there, but that's not much different than my '05 F250 6.0. The rest of the drive was returning the truck (what should be about 5 miles, but is 25 right now due to a bridge being out). I'm just like you, it's way out of my league (mine's a plain old XL supercab- vinyl seats and roll up windows) but it was kinda fun to play with for a little while.

The folks who own this truck also have an '07 Hummer H2 and an '07 Chevy SSR.