1/2 chute

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

we are lookin for a new chute. we are looking at sullivans 3 aluminum chutes, the 1/2 chute, hrybrid, and cadillac. which is the better chute for shows and at home. we have 3 steel chutes so we have some to break them with. which is better?? thanks a bunch

cowz

I am a dealer for Sullivans.  We have a small feed business...so for once I know what I am talking about....ha ha!    This is my opinion only.  If you already have some steel chutes, dont waste your $$ on the hybrid, yes, it is lighter, but not that much lighter.  If you plan to do all of your major work and clipping in the steel chute, go with the aluminum cadillac for hauling to shows.  It is much lighter, still sturdy, and your back will thank you when you are done loading up.  I also haul an aluminum half chute.  I do not recommend this for you if you have young showmen or wilder calves.  BUT, if you want something that a gal can load herself, and you are only needing a chute to pull legs in, it is great!!  I love it.  My eleven year old can load it in the trailer himself!  Hope this helps.

afhm

Why not just fit them in the beds instead of spending the money on a 1/2 chute?  All of the chutes have a tremendous markup on them.  With some pics the local welding shop can build one at a fraction of the cost.

pigguy

cowz said:
I am a dealer for Sullivans.  We have a small feed business...so for once I know what I am talking about....ha ha!    This is my opinion only.  If you already have some steel chutes, dont waste your $$ on the hybrid, yes, it is lighter, but not that much lighter.  If you plan to do all of your major work and clipping in the steel chute, go with the aluminum cadillac for hauling to shows.  It is much lighter, still sturdy, and your back will thank you when you are done loading up.   I also haul an aluminum half chute.  I do not recommend this for you if you have young showmen or wilder calves.   BUT, if you want something that a gal can load herself, and you are only needing a chute to pull legs in, it is great!!  I love it.  My eleven year old can load it in the trailer himself!  Hope this helps.
the youngest showmen is 14 actually i lie his gf is showing one of our calves and she is 13. but the wild calves, we get our fair share of those.  i hate the 7 foot grooming chutes because i cant ever get to their legs very well to dry them, or anythnig. that is why i was thinking the 1/2 chute. but i was thinking the hybrid sence occansually when at shows with broke cattle we have one that will be a little nutty.

Show Heifer

I would go with the hybrid....I know of too many folks that bought an all aluminum chute and ended up with a pile of scrape metal. The welds don't hold, so I guess it doesn't matter to me how light it is if it doesn't last. And the half chute is good in theory, but again, if the calf is gentle enough for a half chute, it is probably gentle enough to clip and fit in the stalls!
But Cowz, don't get me wrong, I love Sullivans...

Clubcalfshowgirl

I have a steel chute and i love my 1/2 chute for shows the only thing is u cant put wild calves into it. The 1/2 chute is verry easy to be able clip and pull legs.

maine12 said:
we are lookin for a new chute. we are looking at sullivans 3 aluminum chutes, the 1/2 chute, hrybrid, and cadillac. which is the better chute for shows and at home. we have 3 steel chutes so we have some to break them with. which is better?? thanks a bunch

pigguy

i am going to go with the hyrbrid so if we ever have one that we think is tame and he flips out i wont be out 600$. and the chute will be used daily

Latest posts