10 REASONS YOU KNOW YOU SHOW CATTLE

Help Support Steer Planet:

amss101

Or when your teaching 6th grade math and they say when will really use this and you immediately apply it to cattle.  Well, kids if you need to know how much grain to feed to your new steer, you will have to figure out what 2-3% of his body weight is or how about the story problem of what your daily rate of gain is.

Dusty

When you use and all-flex ear tag for an ID tag on your luggage.  Yes I did this going to Denver one year.  And I think they looked at it and said to each other now we know where rednecks come from.....

txshowlamb

When you palpate a cow in YOUR HOMECOMING DRESS oh my haha and to be the first to find the baby was the best

oakbar

When you have a television in your house designated as the "Barn Channel" and it gets watched more than network TV!!

oakbar

That's what everyone here at Oakbar calls the TV that is connected to our barn camera.  We put it in a couple of years ago so we could watch the calving pens without going outside and bothering the cows.  It works great and its more than paid for itself by letting us see any calving  problems as they develop without the cow knowing it.  In two years I would say we've probably saved at least 2-3 calves in our small operation that would have otherwise died or at least had major problems. I've even had phone calls from my wife telling me that a cow is in labor or having trouble when I'm on another part of the farm.  Its also reallly nice to check on them in the middle of the night from the house rather than go out on a cold north Iowa night.  I'm watching one right now that should calve within the next day or two.

I'm warning you, though, all our city friends think its a little funny that we sit at our kitchen counter and watch the cows calving.  No doubt we're the epitome of "Redneck" to them!!  Somehow, if they're here when a cow gives birth, they all seem to learn something and never forget it!!

M Bar

I am just going to be onery and tell you that we quit using genetics that caused us to have to baby sit our cows during calving season.  Sorry Oakbar, couldn't resist...................Don't shoot me in Denver or Louisville!  As one of my good friends and former shorthorn breeder told me "there is no use in a calving barns out here west of the missouri river".  I do need a camera to keep track of my kids while they are in the barn, because they like to give the cats "baths" that usually end up in fatalities for the felines.

oakbar

That's OK Mbar--if I ranched out west and had lots of cows, I doubt I'd have a calving barn either.  We only have a dozen or so cows and most of them have been show heifers so we treat them a little more like "family".    Keeps me out of the bars at night!!

amss101

We've decided to put a t.v. in our barn to watch the kids...lol.  Then they can't say we brushed them 100 times I swear!

alwayssecond

My mom and I were looking at this and we thought it would be cool to get one of these shirts. We were wondering if there was a website that we could check out to order them or how we could purchase them. Could someone please let us know? Thanks!

farmerboy317

idk if anybody said this one, but i will say it again. if you compair heifers like you compair girls or you rate heifers like you rate girls