10 star bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

there are two angus bulls, tender ten, the other class reunion from ultimate genetics.  any thoughts on using these types of bulls on heifers, and can the offspring be registered at some % in the maine breed without the certificate.  I realize these genes and phenotypes don't matter for club calves, but it's a fast way to stack genes as there are very few of these types of backgrounds in the maine breed.  a couple of obvious sources in the maine breed.  what are thoughts in general on breeding up from maintainers to snag these genes? 

red

knabe said:
there are two angus bulls, tender ten, the other class reunion from ultimate genetics.  any thoughts on using these types of bulls on heifers, and can the offspring be registered at some % in the maine breed without the certificate.  I realize these genes and phenotypes don't matter for club calves, but it's a fast way to stack genes as there are very few of these types of backgrounds in the maine breed.  a couple of obvious sources in the maine breed.  what are thoughts in general on breeding up from maintainers to snag these genes? 

Knabe, there are a lot of Maine breeders that use Angus bulls on their Maine cows. Especially if they're selling in a sale that ranks performance based on EPD's. When they use the angus, it gives them some better EPD's for BW & such & they sell in a better position.
You can get a non Maine bull on your registration paper for the AMAA. It has to be a bull registered under another breed. Think it cost about $30.
I think, if your striving for certain traits & %'s it works well!

Red

red

Knabe the following Maine cattle have been genestar tested:
Red

*A value of 'NT' in a GPD or Marker field indicates that the animal has not been tested for that marker or trait.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tenderness                      Quality Grade                          Registration Name                      Reg. #            Breed
GPD / Markers                  GPD / Markers                     

-1.4lbs/2,2,NT                +8.6% / 1,NT,NT                  SAR He's a Lad 269M                      323682 Maine Anjou

-0.7lbs / 2,0,NT              +8.6% / 1,NT,NT                    GVC Mandatory 16M                    311904 Maine Anjou

-0.7lbs / 2,NT,NT          +8.6% / 1,NT,NT                  RBC Perfect Timing 1K                    281314 Maine Anjou

-0.7lbs / 2,NT,NT            +8.6% / 1,NT,NT                  Rocky Lane Attractive 35              241255 Maine Anjou

-0.7lbs / 2,NT,NT          +0% / 0,NT,NT                      DCC Polled Checkmate                  307034 Maine Anjou

-0.7lbs / 1,1,NT              +0% / 0,NT,NT                      SAR Direct Deposit 319N                323996 Maine Anjou

-0.7lbs / 2,0,NT            +0% / 0,NT,NT                      SAR Magic Man 320N                      323997 Maine Anjou

-0.3lbs / 1,NT,NT        +8.6% / 1,NT,NT                    DCC Top Gun 39M                          306966 Maine Anjou

-0.3lbs / 1,0,NT          +8.6% / 1,NT,NT                    SAR Heartbreak 317N                    323995 Maine Anjou

Show Heifer

There was a 4 year old angus bull on display in Denver....think his name was HA? Limited Edition. He has been 11 star tested!!!! WOW!! Plus although large (guessing 3750#) and a frame 7-7.3, he is as sound as a cat! Good EPD's as far as calving ease and growth.
If ya want more info, let me know, I will dig through my Denver pile and get the specifics!!!

garybob

Weren't there many members of the AAA board that tried to pour cold water on the whole gene-star application to their breed? Wonder what they think of this now?

ELBEE

The cold water thing makes sense to me. If your promoting so called superior "Angus" carcases, how are you going to explain a 10 star Shorthorn?

genes

I don't think I get what you guys are talking about, though I don't really follow breed association politics.  There are going to be animals that test well in all the breeds, though the frequency of these 10 stars will vary between them.  You don't have to explain a 10 star shorthorn, genetic variation does that for you.

ELBEE

It's as simple as black and ----- (all other colors). Before Gene-star, Angus were superior. After Gene-star they are not. All it's been is a bullying ad campain.

garybob

High 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know an Angus breeder with 250 linebred cows that says the same thing. He has Emulous-bred cattle. Extremely low maintenance, and fescue tolerant. lots of CAB's out of his herd. 870-545-3343. Ask for James or Billye Sue Roberts.