100% Dehorning Shorthorn Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

kccowman

I know I have seen the list before but I can't seen to locate it now. Anyone know where you can get the list? Thanks

kccowman

The American Shorthorn Assoc. put out a list of bulls that were 100% dehorners or Homozygous polled.

kfacres

k, thats kinda the path i was thinking of.  I have never seen this list, but would suggest doing a search on the asa site...  it would be interesting to see it...  if or when you find it, post it on here, I'd like to see it

Shady Lane

Hmmm, I seem to remember seeing this list as well. Perhaps it was posted in the Sire Summary or something similar?

Maybe we could compile our own list?

Dale

In the 07 sire summary there is a list of about 50 bulls, mostly older pedigrees.  Included are bulls such as Byland Gold Spear, Elbee Leader C087 (is that Gizmo?), JG Red Cloud, MF Pacer, and MFS Equity 43.  Several of the Australian bulls have been homozygous polled.

When we bought bulls in western states, there was a single horned calf reported in SD by a bull we used here 100% polled calves (up to 50 or 60 daughters in the herd over time).  So we did not turn in that bull as homozygous.  We bought our first polled bull from Thieman's in 1970 and he was homozygous polled.  Another later sire that never left us a horned calf was from Weston Shorthorns.

Wonder if the Irish & Maine influences have made the pure polled gene less common in Shorthorns in recent years?

aj

I saw an ad that said capiche was supposed to be homo polled. I don't see how they can claim that yet since hes so young.

DL

Dale said:
In the 07 sire summary there is a list of about 50 bulls, mostly older pedigrees.  Included are bulls such as Byland Gold Spear, Elbee Leader C087 (is that Gizmo?),

YUP!

aj

I think Hunsley was responsible for putting the list together way back when. What is the test for homozygosity. Its something like breeding 17 horned cows to a polled cow and if all calves are polled the bull is most likely homo polled.

aj

I didn't think you could in the Shorthorn breed yet but I think the Simmentals you could. I hope they do have a test now for shorties.

aj

I guess kinda off subject.....noticed the dec issue of the shorthorn country has the following on the cover. It appears to be several bred heifers being supplemented with grain or something out in the pasture in a feed bunk. Seems to sum up the breed in one picture. I doubt it would hurt the breed if it was discovered they weren't even ruminants. They never are exposed to roughage anyway. ;D

Doc

aj said:
I guess kinda off subject.....noticed the dec issue of the shorthorn country has the following on the cover. It appears to be several bred heifers being supplemented with grain or something out in the pasture in a feed bunk. Seems to sum up the breed in one picture. I doubt it would hurt the breed if it was discovered they weren't even ruminants. They never are exposed to roughage anyway. ;D

Ok Here goes aj. I know you weren't directing that towards just Bradleys' cattle , but Shorties in general. Bradley is a friend of mine & I've been there before & those cover MTNS that a lot of goats & flatland cattle stop at the base & laugh at if you asked them to climb. This part of the world(east of the MS) a lot of people feed cattle of all breeds.It's easier to bring cattle to dctr, ai or just check them in general if they are "bucket broke". A lot of people don't have the acreage & before they know it they are border line overpopulated & so they supplement them. I don't see the big deal if that's what they want to spend their money on.  I've been to several Angus places that are getting their "range ready bulls" ready & they are standing in front of a full silage bunk that is more corn than silage. Once again I sure don't unsterstand what drum you're marching to, when you're constantly slamming the breed of cattle that you raise?? ??? ???

knabe

i don't see the big deal either.  feedlot cattle don't eat grass.  nice to see bulls the same stuff i'm going to feed feedlot cattle. if i wanted to see performance on grass, there should be an epd for that.  but then, the grass is different everywhere. people end up buying what works for them.  it may take them a while.

knabe

dori36 said:
I thought you could DNA test for it?

I believe you can.  I know Pfizer has a test for the polled gene.
[/quote]

the test doesn't work for all breeds (i think they are specified, igenity has the test too, i hadn't noticed pfizer did yet) as the mutation occurs at different spots in the same gene, and it doesn't test for scurs as it's on a different chromosome and more interior and less subject to mutation.

Jacob B

As far as the coments made by aj, there are some problems with the shorthorn breed.  He often is a little over the top when voicing his opinion about them.  I think there are some cattle out there in the breed that can flat out perform on forage and in the feedlot.  That's what I love about the breed.  You can have real world cattle along with the show side.  They are often two totaly different kinds.  I feel people have a hard time seeing this at times.  They all want to beloeve their cattle can do everything.  Very few can be succesful with both.  I appriciate the people in the shorthorn breed that can see the negatives and actually try and fix them, not just say they are going to help fix it to help make a sale.  I would be careful in how negative you get when discussing those subjects.  Only being negative about things has never gotten me far.