126 pounder!

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

Give him a little time Red, heck he's just a couple hours old there.  In a day his legs maybe completely different (thumbsup)

red

well, being a steer won't have to spend the money on TH/PHA tests since his dam is a THC.

Red

Jill

We had a Radioactive last year that looked like he was on skis, he walked clear down on the hock area, it took him about a month or so, but he finally came out of it and we ended up selling him as a county fair project, you'd never guess how he started out. 

Bawndoh

Here is a pic of a calf my aunt/uncle had last winter.  The calf he is holding is a regular (live) 70-80 pounder.  The other calf is also a newborn!!  NOT KIDDING!  I forgot about this picture until I was browzing through my computer.  The large calf was predicted to way about 160lbs (not sure if was ever weighed).  It was a c-section, lived for a day or two, then died.  I really dont think this calf would have been PHAP or THP because they dont have any sort of maine or shorthorn genetics in their herd.  Also, the calf doesnt show any abnormalities, other than it is a MONSTER!!!  The cow never had a calf this size before, and probably never will again.  Just a freak of nature.  In Canada, if we have a cold winter it tends to create higher BW all around, but nothing like this ???.

Attachments

• Monstercalf_smallertwincalf.jpg
    Monstercalf_smallertwincalf.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 217

farmboy

Bawndoh said:
Here is a pic of a calf my aunt/uncle had last winter.  The calf he is holding is a regular (live) 70-80 pounder.  The other calf is also a newborn!!  NOT KIDDING!  I forgot about this picture until I was browzing through my computer.  The large calf was predicted to way about 160lbs (not sure if was ever weighed).  It was a c-section, lived for a day or two, then died.  I really dont think this calf would have been PHAP or THP because they dont have any sort of maine or shorthorn genetics in their herd.  Also, the calf doesnt show any abnormalities, other than it is a MONSTER!!!  The cow never had a calf this size before, and probably never will again.  Just a freak of nature.  In Canada, if we have a cold winter it tends to create higher BW all around, but nothing like this ???.

not very good when they half grown to full size lol

TJ

We've had some pretty big ones before, but since everyone is talking about their BIG calves, I decided that I would be a little different & mention my small calves. 

These two were 27 lbs & 32 lbs when they were born & no, I am not kidding!

Attachments

• Doc Heifer.jpg
    Doc Heifer.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 293
  • DSC01207.JPG
    DSC01207.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 252

TJ

red said:
here is the little bugger or maybe I should say, big boy!

Red

Red, it looks like it will be a pretty good calf.  Post some more pics when he gets some age... I'd like to see them.

showgirl2010

TJ I believe you,  my uncle had a calf that weighed 32lbs. and without creep or being put in a feedlot before he was sold off his farm the calf weighed 540.  None too bad right?

Jamie

TJ

Yes, that sounds like it did pretty good. 

BTW, for those of you who haven't seen a 20 something lb. calf, they are tiny!

I forgot that I had this picture.  Here is the 32 lb. heavy weight!  If my memory is correct, this was taken when she was around 2 - 4 weeks old.

Attachments

• Cows 837.jpg
    Cows 837.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 255

TJ

Bawndoh said:

WOW!!  :eek:

P-F

Last year we had a 20 pounder, I could pick her up with one arm, she wasn't much bigger than my 18m old and she was right on time, a heart beat x gold club, something went wrong, not sure what.  She made a good pet for the kids last summer.  After she was born I bottle fed her in the basement till spring, she was 2 days old in the picture and my boys were 3 and 18m

Attachments

• Annabell 2 days 148 1.JPG
    Annabell 2 days 148 1.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 228

Shorthorn_Junkie

Back 15 years ago, I heard of a guy who had a cow that gave birth to a 160 pound heifer calf.

The thing that amazed me about it was the fact that it was born unassisted and that it lived. 

Latest posts