1st calf heifer question?

Help Support Steer Planet:

AndersenClubCalves

So I have this Hirerdman first calf heifer that i AI'd to Rocky Balboa 3 times but I failed considering she came into heat after the 3rd failed attempt and i seen the bull breeding her. But now she is about a month away from her due date (to the clean up bull) and developing a bag. Is there anyway she could be bred to Rocky and still have came into heat and let the bull breed her. A month a way and having as much milk as she does just seems kinda odd to me especially for a heifer.But this could just be me really wanting a Rocky Balboe calf out of her too.... ;D. What do you guys think?

blinggirl

what was the date the last time you AI her ? that would help to know along with when was the first time the clean up bull bred her ? we have a heifer that came into heat after we bred her and that was in august and we think she is going to calve this month so we think she came into a false heat because if she was bred in Aug she still has like 3 months at least but she is as big as  the rest of the heifer that are confirmed to be bred to calve this week

C

crybaby

a month away is dead on correct time for a first calf heifer to be starting to bag up. 

RidinHeifer

My October due heifer started bagging up in July...so its pretty normal from what my vet said for heifers to milk really early

OH Breeder

I have seen first calf heifers bag the month before but not get red and tight an til right before they calve. I have also seen heifers get full as they calve.

leanbeef

Yeah...the chances are very, very slim. And probably less than that!...lol

I have had ONE heifer that did have a false heat and let a bull service her. She ended up with a set of twins out of the AI bull. One that I know about in 35 years...

A LOT of heifers will start to bag up a month OR MORE before they're due to calve. Some just change faster than others, and the ones that start bagging up real early you will find will progress at their own pace and end up right on time. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...I don't think this is what you want to hear, but at least she DID breed!

JWW

utilize your veterinarian to age your pregnancies from 45-80 days and you'll know for sure which one she stuck on. Since you have breeding days and a natural cover date, the vet will more than likely be able to get a very very confident age of the calf.
if there are any doubts of parantage, send in hair to get it confirmed. my two cents

JWW