1st time 4h'er in California

Help Support Steer Planet:

CalifAngus

Can anyone tell me if we're feeding our Black Angus steer the right amount of feed.  Our fair day is about 110 day away.  Our steer weighs 960lbs. as of today.  We're currently feeding 15lbs of a Verdamont and Rolled Corn mix, 2lbs of Orchard Hay and Show Bloom.  Is there something else we should be doing?  We have some people in our group who are feeding 32lbs of feed a day (the same mix).  I need to know what a good fininsh weight is for a Black Angus Steer.  Does anyone have any advice.........Thanks in advance

1st timers............

jlcattle

Rule of thumb is feed 2.5-3% of his body weight, at 960 he should be eating 28.8 pounds per day based on 3%.  We don't feed more than 25# per day, there is only so much a calf can absorb before they waste the feed. Don't up his feed all at once either, go slow so he doesn't bloat. If your not familiar with bloat, that should be your 4-H demonstration.  With 110 days left you should be fine, if you gain 2 pounds per day minimum your calf should weigh 1180, try to push for 1250.  Good luck with your project.

CalifAngus

JL.......thanks for the adivce!!  We will up it today and then once a week until we get to 25lbs.  .  Is the mix we're feeding a good mix? 

Red.....appreciate the welcome.

vc

The feed your feeding is fine,O.H. Kruse carries allot of good feeds. I would also let the steer have free choice of Bermuda grass hay. The steer will be receiving all the nutrition it needs from your grain, no need to pay the extra money for the Orchard grass, if Bermuda is cheaper in you area feed it. Good luck at your fair.

AAOK

The Bermuda grass hay is a good idea, but I prefer to limit the hay intake to 3 pounds.  If you could mix in about 20% of Cottonseed Hulls it would sure help expand his gut, and it also helps stimulate the Rumen.