1st year exhibitor & calf...

Help Support Steer Planet:

TJ

I got an email from a customer today.  Attached to that email was this picture of his 9 year old daughter with her 1st ever "show heifer".  The calf is a Doc Holliday daughter that they raised out of an average Red Angus 1st calf heifer.   She hasn't been clipped at all, the photo hasn't been doctored & the calf has only been on pre-conditioner feed for a very short time period.   She also was just recently halter broken & as you can see, she is already a pet.  The calf is 4 months old, going on 5.  I saw this heifer 2 weeks ago & I think that she looks better in person.  Actual birth weight was 55 lbs.  & she weighed over 300 lbs. at 4 months.  Anyway, I was excited to see this recently weaned calf being "set up" by a 9 year old, with no prior halter breaking or show experience, in such a relatively short period of time.  This is what it's all about & it is what makes me feel very good inside, seeing a statisfied customer doing well, despite not even owning a blower or having any showring experience!  Unfortunately, this is not a sales pitch!!  Doc Holliday semen is currently completely sold out & it will be sometime later this fall before any more will be collected.   

Attachments

• Jamilee & Half-Pint.jpg
    Jamilee & Half-Pint.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 366

shortyjock89

Good lookin calf TJ..I really like the Doc females, but you already knew that  ;)  Have you got the NAILE string worked at all yet?  I think you oughta get that real hairy bull in and show us what a "clubby" lowline looks like.

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Good lookin calf TJ..I really like the Doc females, but you already knew that  ;)   Have you got the NAILE string worked at all yet?  I think you oughta get that real hairy bull in and show us what a "clubby" lowline looks like.

I've worked with them some, and I have a few that will walk up to you & eat out your back pocket, but I'll put it this way, they still don't know what a halter is.  ;)  Ike really did a number on us & made a tremendous mess.  My help has been virtually AWOL during the last week too, as they are helping someone else clean up a building that blew down.  But, I am hoping to make serious progress with them in the next 2 weeks or so.  They need to be haltered & worked with hard, ASAP.  Especially since I may be taking 10-15 or so head.  Anybody need an occasional weekend job?  Or even a full or part time job for at least a month or 2?  Now hiring!!  ;) 

BTW, I've got 3 buyers lined up & that should whittle the size of my group down to just the ones that I am taking to Louisville... that will help as much as anything... getting the others gone. 

RE the hairy calf that you are talking about... he's getting thicker all the time.  With some work & some feed, I think that he will be real interesting to look at by Louisville.  Yeah, I'd like to work with him some & then get a picture taken soon.   

TJ

I agree about watching the toes.  Flip flops & calves on halters sometimes don't mix too well.  But, that is a testament to how well behaved this calf is & it honestly hasn't been worked with for very long.  Still one wrong step by the calf &...  :eek: