Help Support Steer Planet:

jwilkins

1st year of showing at county fair. Let me know what you think. weighs #1355

Attachments

• zoo 112.JPG
    zoo 112.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 264

Mill Iron A

This is a nice first calf.  Thinking back on it I'm sure it's a lot better than what I started with.  Be sure to set up the front feet square and loin him down so he will bring up his top and it will level out his hip a little.  Have fun!

Cattle Cards

Far better than my first steer.  Did you show him yet?  How'd you do?  Keep in mind what you saw, learned and how you can build on it.  You're sure on the right track.  <party>
<cowboy>

jwilkins

Haven't showed him yet. Fair is this week and will post results.  Hope him and my son do good...Seems like it is always harder to show a slick animal against the fluff and puff animals.

Cattle Cards

Best of luck to your son and your family.  As I stated before, I think he's a good steer; far better than my first steer.  No matter how you do, you can be proud.  Remember it's supposed to be fun.  Sportsmanship, cooperation and having fun as a family and with your friends is what develops good young people and can create a lot of good memories.  Again, good luck. <party>

<cowboy>

vc

He actually has some hair, it needs to be worked and worked hard, besides making them look softer and cover the little flaws, a steer with "fluff and buff" usually has a fresher look to them.
I would get a rice root brush out and start working that hair forward on the body and up on the legs. If the hair has swirls or cowlicks brush a different direction and then forward. I think if you worked the hair he has, hard for the next week you would be surprised at how much hair he has.
You did a good job feeding him and he looks like he is ready to go.

jwilkins

Very proud of my son, his steer weighted in at 1392.  He placed 2nd blue in his class, 4th overall in heavy weight and 2nd in showmanship.  Showmanship was very close between him and the top girl (judge was very impressed and told the senior showers they should take some lessons).  My son is very proud as he should be and can't wait for the auction tomorrow. 

Cattle Cards

jwilkins said:
Very proud of my son, his steer weighted in at 1392.  He placed 2nd blue in his class, 4th overall in heavy weight and 2nd in showmanship.  Showmanship was very close between him and the top girl (judge was very impressed and told the senior showers they should take some lessons).  My son is very proud as he should be and can't wait for the auction tomorrow. 

Very impressive.  I'm so happy for your son, your whole family.  It's good to hear good stories about good kids succeeding.  (clapping)  Enjoy it and build on it.  We all want to hear about a successful 2nd steer...
<cowboy>

Shadow Hill Farm

jwilkins said:

Well done for first year!! You all are definitely headed in the right direction! Keep up the awesome work! Nice to see the youngsters with good calves especially their first year at it! Kudos. What is the breeding on his steer? Good luck to you guys in the future!!  <cowboy> <beer>

jwilkins

Thank you all for the kind words....His steer is out of a herd bull and a ol' herd cow.  Just good feed and hard work.

Attachments

• fair2012 025.JPG
    fair2012 025.JPG
    191.4 KB · Views: 192

SlickTxMaine

Congrats to both of you!!  That smile on his face says it all!  My son showed his last steer this year as he graduated.... enjoy every minute, it goes fast!! 

shortdawg

jwilkins said:
Thank you all for the kind words....His steer is out of a herd bull and a ol' herd cow.  Just good feed and hard work.

(clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

vc

Does that plaque say 2nd Place Beef Showmanship? That is great for his first year showing if it does. The steer looks allot like the first steer my youngest showed, real easy to handle and liked the feed pan, the best kind for a first steer.

jwilkins

yes that is what the plaque says.  The judge was very impressed in him and the girl that won.  The judge placed him second because he didn't step quite as far out of the way as the girl who won first when the judge walked around.  Watching the showmanship of all the ages i will say the the 3 & 4 graders that showed with my son had some better skills then some of the 11 grade and up..