2 questions

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

How long before a show should you clip??

Also Would it be possible to break a calf that is broke to tie for show in 9 days? thanks

CPL

maine12 said:

Also Would it be possible to break a calf that is broke to tie for show in 9 days? thanks

I was always told that you should clip 7-10 days before show, but my cattle will never have a gazillion inches of hair so Im not sure how some of the other do it.

I would say it is plenty possibly to break a calf in 9 days if you take the time. Lead to water, feed, etc. etc.

CPL

maine12 said:

I guess it would also depend on how big the calf is though.

dutch pride

If they have not been clipped before or recently, we like to "rough" clip them about two weeks before show and then come back a week later finnish them up. Still will do a little touch up at the show.

As far as breaking a calf that soon It would depend on the calf I think but I don't think it would be enough time to do a decent job but sure wouldn't keep me fron trying.

Good luck

DLZ

AAOK

dutch pride said:
If they have not been clipped before or recently, we like to "rough" clip them about two weeks before show and then come back a week later finnish them up. Still will do a little touch up at the show.

As far as breaking a calf that soon It would depend on the calf I think but I don't think it would be enough time to do a decent job but sure wouldn't keep me fron trying.

Good luck

DLZ

Perfect Answer

shortyisqueen

Hi there,
I like to do heads ten days before the date of the  show, and for winter hair, clip on body hair once a week for three weeks and touch-ups at the show the day before they head into the ring. Of course, I always miss a bit, some pops up as I work the hair and it grows and some pops up when they hit the soft water at whatever city the show ends up being in. A very good fitter once said  that the longer you can leave between the roughing out and the final clipping, the better. He said, if you clip early, you can let the hair grow back and cover your mistakes - and if you're not sure quite how you're going to do the job - it gives you time to turn them out in the field and 'sleep on it' until the inspiration comes to you (because no two clip jobs are ever the same - always tailored to the build of the animal).

As far as the halterbreaking - if you've got something that learns fairly easy - its definately possible. However, I would skip this show in favor of making sure the calf is ready for the next one. I like to have a minimum of three weeks of work into them before they hit the road. If something happened to really  scare your calf at the show because you hadn't taken the time to properly condition it to all the sights and sounds it needs to be used to, it will NEVER be the same again and you won't be taking it to any more shows. Furthermore, you have to think about safety. You might think its safe for you to show a partially broken calf, but what if it got away and hurt some nine-year old child.  To me, its not worth the risk. There are always more shows to go to down the road.

strawroanlova

maine12 said:

ive got the same question as you maine12,ive got a show in 2 weeks and still need to break my steer

doubled

maine12 said:

I know alot of people do it lots of different ways, we are getting ready to go to the badger classic-and we are clipping alot this week, the calves are really hairy so it
takes lots of days to get them right- as far as breaking them if they are really good tempered 9 days you can do it, but just dont poke them alot at the show
with the show stick it can really give the calf the wrong idea, take it easy on them and dont get all flustered with them or mean, it takes alot of patience with
the calves at this stage.  

CPL

strawroanlova said:
maine12 said:

ive got the same question as you maine12,ive got a show in 2 weeks and still need to break my steer

Might want to start on that one.

OH Breeder

Trim two weeks before and touch up a couple of times. It always seems when you wash and blow them out they have stray hairs.

If you plan on breaking the calf, it is very possible to do so. I would start as soon as possible and be diligent.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I clip a little here and there throughout the time I'm breaking them/washing them to get them used to the sound of the clippers, then have them fully clipped the day before I bring them to the show. I bring the clippers to the show with me too incase I notice a stray hair on them. I barrowed a grooming chute last year and brought it with me but I didn't use it much and a lot of random people assumed it with their lawn chair and set on it.

I know a lot of people don't break their calves right before a show but I wouldn't recommend it. A few years ago someone from my school broke a calf 2 days before the fair... My ag teacher wasn'r happy about that either. The calf placed 12th in its class.

pigguy

Ok thanks. we normaly start clipping about a month before and then once week until the show. And the fastest we have ever broke a calf was 2 weeks but we have never really tried to rush it. once again thanks

renegade

Rocky Hill Simmental said:
I barrowed a grooming chute last year and brought it with me but I didn't use it much and a lot of random people assumed it with their lawn chair and set on it.

Our chapter has two chutes, they are heavy suckers but they get the job done. anyway we took one to fair last year and i used it a lot to get my bull blown out and to keep him clean until his show because he loves to throw dirt and saw dust on him self... especially just after a bath. Our problem is people think they are free to use it for their own cattle without asking(even if they didnt ask i wouldnt care as long as it didnt get broke), it wouldnt be as big a deal if i didnt need to use it at the same time.

I was told on the cattle with white that you need at least  two weeks because otherwise they have a pinkish tint going on under the hair from the skin.

renegade

some of our pig people arent really into it and just shave them when they are at the fair and are laying in there stall

Rocky Hill Simmental

renegade said:
Our chapter has two chutes, they are heavy suckers but they get the job done. anyway we took one to fair last year and i used it a lot to get my bull blown out and to keep him clean until his show because he loves to throw dirt and saw dust on him self... especially just after a bath. Our problem is people think they are free to use it for their own cattle without asking(even if they didnt ask i wouldnt care as long as it didnt get broke), it wouldnt be as big a deal if i didnt need to use it at the same time.

No one used ours.  :D I barrowed it from the people I bought my heifers from because they weren't showing any cattle and had one. The main thing that made me mad is people would come in and set on it and they weren't even people who showed cattle, they were just random people at the fair. Once there were 3 little kids playing/climbing on it. My mom kept telling them to leave but they didn't and finally their parents came and got them. I seriously wonder why some parents let their 3-6 year old kids who play around the livestock while they talk to their friends?  :p
We're going to build our own grooming chute for next year.  8)

renegade

im thinking about building one. Didnt you know that the cows that come to the fair are all safe, almost like  (dog)s, i would definatley let my kids run around strange animals and even let them run up to someones strange animal, even though it may like bolt and run my kid over because no one has ever worked with it. ::)  People are sooooo smart.