2008 calf crop complete

Help Support Steer Planet:

dutch pride

All five of our cows have now calved, 4 bulls, and one heifer. This is the first year we did AI and they all caught on the first try.

1st calf is a Sin City out of a Shorthorn Cow. Would have liked him to be thicker and not so tall. He is all white except for a tinge of red on the outine of his ears.
2nd is a Paddy O Malloy out of a Chi- Maine cow. Again, he needs to be thicker.
3rd is another Paddy out of a Heatseeker / Meyer cow. Looks to have promise.
4th is a Strictly Business out of aan Angus/Flash Flood. This is the heifer. We kind of like her as well.
5th is a Stricly Business out of an Red Heatseeker. My son likes him.

Youngest calf is first and is 3 days old. Oldest is last at about 5 weeks.

Two of the bulls and the heifer wil be for sale this fall.

Let me know what you think. I know I need to do some more work on my photography skills

Attachments

• Sin City 0208.jpg
    Sin City 0208.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 478
  • Sin City 0108.jpg
    Sin City 0108.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 476
  • paddy 0108.jpg
    paddy 0108.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 479
  • paddy 0208.jpg
    paddy 0208.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 479
  • paddy 0308.jpg
    paddy 0308.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 481

dutch pride

Here are the rest, two pics of each calf.

DLZ

Attachments

• Strictly Bus 0308.jpg
    Strictly Bus 0308.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 456
  • Strictly Bus 0208.jpg
    Strictly Bus 0208.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 465
  • Strictly Bus 0108.jpg
    Strictly Bus 0108.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 455
  • paddy 0408.jpg
    paddy 0408.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 456
  • Strictly bus 0408.jpg
    Strictly bus 0408.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 458

red

very, very nice calves! love the pure white one! get out the blueing shampoo!

linnettejane

nice calves!  id like to see that white calf in about a month...i bet he'll look alot different!  he's only 3 days old... :)

Throttle

Good little set! I think you're pretty close on your intitial observations, but none of them appear to have any huge issues and you might be surprised at what they'll look like in 2 weeks, a month, 2 months, etc. When they start out without big genetic/structure issues, they can get good quick on good milking cows and a little creep feed. I will say this - You must be living right, sticking all of them on one AI. Did you synch them or bring them in heat with anything or just breed on natural heats?

dutch pride

Throttle said:
Good little set! I think you're pretty close on your intitial observations, but none of them appear to have any huge issues and you might be surprised at what they'll look like in 2 weeks, a month, 2 months, etc. When they start out without big genetic/structure issues, they can get good quick on good milking cows and a little creep feed. I will say this - You must be living right, sticking all of them on one AI. Did you synch them or bring them in heat with anything or just breed on natural heats?

The first two were heifers that we gave Lut to. Bred on consecutive days. The other three were cows that we put in CIDR and a shot of Lut when we pulled them. Bred them all on the same day even though they did not show very strong heats.

I hope we will have that much luck again this year. I am somewhat worried about one of the heifers as she is milking down quite a bit already.

Thanks for the interest and comments

DLZ