2008 Houston Carcass Results

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

You folks may get tired of seeing these, but here is a link to the carcass results from Houston.

http://www.hlsr.com/ag/ls/downloads/2008SteersCarcass.pdf

The Grand steer actually finished fourth in the carcass contest which is pretty good in my opinion. 

I still say a lot of these show steers hang awfully good carcasses - at least down here in our slick shows.

knabe

chambero, keep em coming.

can you describe the units for marbling?

i was kind of impressed with the rose maine carcass and the shackleford hereford and the tucker shorthorn.  kind of a different yield grade there on the shorties.

simtal

I too am amazed at the carcasses.  That maine that went lo prime, yield grade 1. Thats a rarity. especially for a maine

knabe

the low backfat and prime grade on that maine steer is one to send to bovigen, as well as screening both parents.  i overlooked that carcass at first just due to the yield, but in context of future product size constraints, that is an interesting direction.  i bet it was interesting on the hoof to pick it as champion, with the reserve being decidely bigger, and both with significantly less backfat than the standard 0.4 in .  doubly impressive on the judge's part with all the one's in the list that are over .5.

so that steer had 1.5 KPH, slightly more backfat compared to the rose steer, 2.0 kph and less backfat, yet dressing was 2.5 % different? why was this?  distribution of fat which seems apparent, amount of bone, amount of REA?  i wish i had seen them on the hoof and the rail.  amazing if it's the ribeye and it takes that difference to equal 2.5% in dress.

hmmm. another clone coming?

steermomintx

If you want to see a picture of the Champion Maine steer look in the ad in the showbox for Bill Cody or Triple X.

knabe

i get a cookie message even though enabled.  hmmm. still trying.  it looks like maybe you had to log in first?  seems like an awful lot of use rights issues, which i can understand.  even at barker, i can't see a link that is visitable.

steermomintx

knabe said:
i get a cookie message even though enabled.  hmmm. still trying.  it looks like maybe you had to log in first?  seems like an awful lot of use rights issues, which i can understand.  even at barker, i can't see a link that is visitable.
Did you just try going to www.barkerphotography.com, pick view your pictures go to second page of indexes and pick week 2 of houston livestock show then thumbnail to the maines.  Hope this works!!

knabe

found the pages.  sorry to be a pest.  there are two ways to find pictures

one is the page id
the other is the picture id

any idea which one he is?

steermomintx

knabe said:
found the pages.  sorry to be a pest.  there are two ways to find pictures

one is the page id
the other is the picture id

any idea which one he is?
Your not being a pest at all!!  He is on Page 298, pictures h264-075 thru h264-078. He is a white and light red paint.  Hope this gets you there.  Have a great weekend.

knabe

got him.  he's interesting behind the shoulders.  certainly not "massive" bone.

would reallllllllllllly like to know if he's PHAF, and not for the usual reasons.

also interesting he's not black.

he's got an interesting rear end.  thick everywhere, but not bulgy anywhere, just smooth everywhere, and if his fat cover is to be believed and still grade p-, i'd say i'm pretty impressed and need a redcalibration.

i wonder if the judg'es eye for .4 is so well calibrated that this wasn't THEE reason for picking him over the others with too much or too little cover, and if the reserve would have had 15 days more if it wouldn't have been a tougher decision.

How old was this steer?

Telos

I think this is a good study for all of us to take a look at. If you enlarge the photo up of this guy you can get a pretty good look at him. I commend the judge who was intuitive enough to select him. This is my take... He is very moderate in his frame, very well muscled, looks wide based, smooth made, flat and smooth boned.  I like his hind leg set, not too straight nor too much angle. Looks like he toes foreword on all fours. Muscle is probably as close to ideal as you could want... Good mass and expressive but very smooth. Looks like he is a very easy doing kind of calf and very soft made. He could of very easily been the overall Grand steer IMO. I wonder if he's an Irish Whiskey derivative.

SWMO

Just goes to show ya that the color of the hide does not determine the quality of the carcass.  it is the quality of the animal.

GONEWEST

SWMO said:
Just goes to show ya that the color of the hide does not determine the quality of the carcass.  it is the quality of the animal.

Yeah but it determines the price you get for it, sad, but true.

What I found surprising was that the Brangus steers all graded choice yet the highest yield grade was 2.18. And one had a 17" rib eye.

steermomintx

knabe said:
got him.  he's interesting behind the shoulders.  certainly not "massive" bone.

would reallllllllllllly like to know if he's PHAF, and not for the usual reasons.

also interesting he's not black.

he's got an interesting rear end.  thick everywhere, but not bulgy anywhere, just smooth everywhere, and if his fat cover is to be believed and still grade p-, i'd say i'm pretty impressed and need a redcalibration.

i wonder if the judg'es eye for .4 is so well calibrated that this wasn't THEE reason for picking him over the others with too much or too little cover, and if the reserve would have had 15 days more if it wouldn't have been a tougher decision.

How old was this steer?
Sorry to leave you hanging knabe I did not log on all weekend.  We were out of town steer shopping, our pen is full now, actually it is over full as always.

I don't know the age on this steer, sorry I cannot help you with that question.  Hope ya have a good day!