2011 Ford F350

Help Support Steer Planet:

BadgerFan

showsteernc said:
Now the price tag is scary ($61,000) but it is a King Ranch. Love the truck though.

I'm sorry, but to me that's nuts.  The only way I can see it is if you are a commercial hauler.

Why can't I just get a solid farm truck- 4 doors, 4WD, no carpet, enough power but get halfway respectable mileage, will last 10 years and not cost $61K

Anyone tried to find a decent low mileage used heavy duty truck lately?!  Geez.

bovine and equine

BadgerFan....We just bought a 2004 Ford Dually Diesel in Feb. for $17,000. It has more than we need (Heated Leather Seats, 6 CD Changer, etc) but we like it so far.  It has 99,000 miles on it though....dealership replaced the injectors, etc before we bought it....so hopefully it'll work out....
We added a Brush Guard & chrome visors & we need to put a new gooseneck hitch in....it has a homemade one in now that I do not trust....

Attachments

• truck1.jpg
    truck1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 253
  • truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG00214.jpg
    IMG00214.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 256

showsteerdlux

BadgerFan said:
showsteernc said:
Now the price tag is scary ($61,000) but it is a King Ranch. Love the truck though.

I'm sorry, but to me that's nuts.  The only way I can see it is if you are a commercial hauler.

Why can't I just get a solid farm truck- 4 doors, 4WD, no carpet, enough power but get halfway respectable mileage, will last 10 years and not cost $61K

Anyone tried to find a decent low mileage used heavy duty truck lately?!  Geez.
I ain't going to argue that its a ridiculous price, thats why I'm ordering a truck and not getting a King Ranch, but, even in still being in college I still put 40,000 miles a year on a truck, so it better be comfortable.

jason

bovine and equine said:
BadgerFan....We just bought a 2004 Ford Dually Diesel in Feb. for $17,000. It has more than we need (Heated Leather Seats, 6 CD Changer, etc) but we like it so far.  It has 99,000 miles on it though....dealership replaced the injectors, etc before we bought it....so hopefully it'll work out....
We added a Brush Guard & chrome visors & we need to put a new gooseneck hitch in....it has a homemade one in now that I do not trust....

That is a nice truck, if it had the 7.3 it would have been over 20K.  I can't blame you though, the 6.0 makes more power and is capable of making a ton more.  I had a couple tell me most of the problems were caused by people either babying them, ie. grocery getter not a trailer puller or by chipping them.  So you want to fall somewhere in that range.

showsteerdlux

B&E- Hope it doesn't happen to you but between the shops trucks and the people we haul with, we've had probably 4 or 5 04's and close to 10 w/ the 6.0 liter. 1 is left and thats because it keeps on breaking down and is sitting in the yard. On the 04's they spent more time in the shop than they did on the road, between injectors, turbos, trannys, head gaskets, and any other part on the trucks, we've seen it all. As i said, I hope your's does better. We also have never chipped anything, and if you see where we drive, you could be quite sure that nothing is babied either. Just my opinion so take it for what its worth.

bovine and equine

Well.....we are gonna hope for the best with it.  We get razed quite a bit because everything else on the family farm is a Dodge Cummings. That is what we went shopping for.....but the price tag got me on this one.....

Bone2011

showsteernc said:
B&E- Hope it doesn't happen to you but between the shops trucks and the people we haul with, we've had probably 4 or 5 04's and close to 10 w/ the 6.0 liter. 1 is left and thats because it keeps on breaking down and is sitting in the yard. On the 04's they spent more time in the shop than they did on the road, between injectors, turbos, trannys, head gaskets, and any other part on the trucks, we've seen it all. As i said, I hope your's does better. We also have never chipped anything, and if you see where we drive, you could be quite sure that nothing is babied either. Just my opinion so take it for what its worth.
Could not agree more our 04's were a peice of junk they were always in the shop

farmboy

My brother had an 04 6.0 and the only problem he ever had with it was the alternator went out once. good truck, wish I could of bought it

Silver

ford has gotten things figured out again. My dad has a brand new 2010 f 350 king ranch with all the bells and whistles. Not only does it have the eloquent features, but it has 40lbs of boost stock and around 370 horses. Thats not even the good part, you know all those negative things you've heard about fuel mileage; either they are false of my dad got lucky because he consistenly gets 18mpg at 75 down the interstate. All of this with the 6.4. I just can't wait until these new 2011 6.7 models come out they are going to dominate the market with 400 horses. And they get even better mileage. I'm glad to see that ford is moving in the right direction and they still never took any bail out money. Do some research on the 2011 before you buy a new truck. It'll pay off in the long run.

Shady Lane

I dated a girl that was a pro barrel racer for a while. She hauled to rodeos all over the western states and canada with a 6.5 F350 dually and a substantial living quarters trailer loaded with 2 horses.

She was getting 7- 7.5 MPG

Her sponsors were just THRILLED with her fuel bills.

(lol)

Silver

since when did ford make a 6.5. If your really going to pull a big load lots of miles you ought to consider finding a 2004-2007 with a blown motor and then get a new 6.7 powerstroke and get it set up right. It doesn't make sense to just keep driving if your getting that type of mileage. It would be better to make improvements to the truck and save money on fuel than to just blow all your diesel.
Great example I know the owners of Car Quest and he has a truck that has so many programs that its like having 10 trucks in one. He can either blow smoke and burn rubber at 670 hp and 545ftlbs of torque or he can go get groceries at an impressive 27 mpg. Its crazy what these trucks are capable of. Too bad only a couple of people know how to use it.

racekannon

I was a die hard Ford man, loved my 99.  The 6.0 was the start of their downfall and capped by the 10 that takes pulling the cab to do anything on the engine.  IMHO the price on the 11s is ridiculous, in my driveway is a new Dodge cab and chassis with an Eby bed.  The EGR delete makes the 6.0 a good engine and truck has to have a manual the autos  were crap, they can be picked up cheap because once warranty is up people can't afford to keep them.  King Ranch screams new money and questionable smarts.  The baby Frightliner crew cabs are only 66 thousand, but my wife drives the truck and trailer and presently they let duallys go with out having CDLs and IFTA while they are craking down on the babies.  The law is clear that you need CDLs, IFTA, DOT #, higher insurance, logs, etc. when you pass 26000 GVWR and get 150 miles from home.  My trailer is 25000 GVWR and the truck 12500 do the math.

Shady Lane

Silver said:
since when did ford make a 6.5. If your really going to pull a big load lots of miles you ought to consider finding a 2004-2007 with a blown motor and then get a new 6.7 powerstroke and get it set up right. It doesn't make sense to just keep driving if your getting that type of mileage. It would be better to make improvements to the truck and save money on fuel than to just blow all your diesel.
Great example I know the owners of Car Quest and he has a truck that has so many programs that its like having 10 trucks in one. He can either blow smoke and burn rubber at 670 hp and 545ftlbs of torque or he can go get groceries at an impressive 27 mpg. Its crazy what these trucks are capable of. Too bad only a couple of people know how to use it.

Excuse me, I never professed to be a typist, that was meant to be 6.4L not 6.5. The "5" key is next to the "4" key atleast on my keyboard.

Who would brag about their truck making 545 ftlbs of torque when it is supposed to be rated stock at 650??????

I will hold my breath and wait to see a Superduty giving 27 MPG.....

Everybody I know that owns one curses the terrible mileage and I have seen it for myself.

I'll stick to my Dodge/ Cummins

Thanks.

;)

cdncowboy

Most anyone I've talked to with the 6.4 is getting 8-10 mpg.  Was at the Ford dealership a week ago getting a few little issues taken care of on my 99, a burnt out dash light and a recall notice from 4 years ago.  While waiting had a discussion with one of the salesman.  He informed me that the Ford engineers have placed their jobs on the fact that the new diesel will get 18% better fuel economy!!
Wow what a daring bet upping fuel economy from say 10 to a whopping 11.8 mpg.  Way to go Ford engineers, even if it gets that pulling a loaded trailer my 99 still gets better than that(14-17 depending on the load), 20-22 without the trailer.
I don't care how much horsepower/torque it makes at that kind of fuel usage.  In my short career as a truck driver, the truck I drove had a 475 Cat that would do 9mpg bobtailing and on avg 6mpg loaded - and it can pull a whole trailer full of pickup trucks.  For me it is becoming clearer that before I buy another pickup for trailering, it will likely be a medium duty International, Freightliner or whatever is within my budget.  An acquaintance is using a baby Freightliner hauling horses around western Canada, gets around 18mpg with it.

Hilltop

I myself will NOT hold for breath for a Ford, or any other make of 1 ton to get over 20mpg even empty, and definately not on an 3.875liter US Gallon.

As for the 500-600 HP trucks, even running empty you better have a good mechanic that works cheap because you will be there best friend. I know a number of people who chipped there trucks and transmission and motor problems were a very regular occurance. They are not made to put out and withstand twice the HP that they come with stock. Most people I have asked about it will never do it again.

We though about chipping our 08 Dodge because it gets less with the trailer behind than our 97 did but we woke up and left it alone. Warranty is a good thing. (clapping)

It really seems funny that the cars keep getting better fuel economy but a truck can not. Maybe they are in business with the oil companies. ???

GoWyo

Maybe they are in business with the oil companies. Huh?

Perhaps Cotullaguy can shed some light on this one.  <cowboy>

Hilltop

GoWyo said:
Maybe they are in business with the oil companies. Huh?

Perhaps Cotullaguy can shed some light on this one.   <cowboy>
I would hate to see him single handedly shut down the entire North American petroleum industry. (lol)

Silver

I'm telling you ford isn't as bad as you think. They are only getting better. The fuel mileage on the 2011 is said to beat both the cummins and the duramax. They have more pulling capacity, payload, and torque. The only thing the new cummins or duramax has on the powerstroke is the cost of ownership, but hey thats a big deal to some and not so much for others.