205 day wt.

Help Support Steer Planet:

olsun

Does anyone know what the formula is for adjusting the 205 day wt. on the calf of a first or second calf heifer, as compared to an older cow. If memory serves me correctly, there was a 10% adjustment for a first timer. I'm not sure about 2nd. Any help much appreciated. Earl

sue

Base X Width X Ht/ .010 = ;)

When you enter all of your calves on line the calculations is automatic. Best thing to do is enter the entire calf crop together. A individual "205" does not mean alot? It's like bragging about a 18.7 in REA on a 2100 lb bull??

Bulldaddy

olsun said:
Does anyone know what the formula is for adjusting the 205 day wt. on the calf of a first or second calf heifer, as compared to an older cow. If memory serves me correctly, there was a 10% adjustment for a first timer. I'm not sure about 2nd. Any help much appreciated. Earl

I am not sure how other breeds do it but the American Simmental Association adjusts for 205 weaning weights when you submit the data on the cattle involved.  They add 50 lbs to the adjusted ww for 2 year old heifers. I am no math wiz but this is how I have figured it in the past. Say the calf weighed 600 lbs at 195 days and weighed 85 lbs at birth it would be 600-85=515 div by 195=2.641 X 205=541+85+50=676 adjusted 205 weaning weight for a year old heifer.  For a mature cow it would work the same way but you would not add the 50 lb adjustment for calving as heifer.  Three year old cows and older (10 year and up I think) also get an adjustment so they can be fairly compared to a mature cow.

oakbar

Glad you put the website on CAB!!  I weighed a couple of steers today--one was sold last week and I need to deliver him soon and  I'm trying to determine if I should sell as the other one as a bull.    The Shorthorn Plus steer I sold (Premium Blend X Trump/Lovely Lady 732) had a 205 day weight of 726#  and the Shorthorn bull  (TM Gus X Myrtle Bo) was 756# according to this calculator.  I know you said one or two doesn't mean anything, Sue, but I wanted an idea on these two for the buyer and a prospective buyer.  I guess its better than the SWAG method, anyway!

sue

sue said:

When you enter all of your calves on line the calculations is automatic. Best thing to do is enter the entire calf crop together. A individual "205" does not mean alot? It's like bragging about a 18.7 in REA on a 2100 lb bull??
LOOK IN THE LEFT HAND CORNER ...... I AM A COUNTY FAIR CHAMPION POSTER!!! ALL OF MY DREAMS HAVE COME TRUE <cowboy>
jUST SEND THE TROPHY IN CARE OF LAKESIDE FARMS, EVART MI.
i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE EXACT MINUTE THAT i BECAME COUNTY FAIR CHAMPION POSTER??

Okotoks

sue said:
sue said:

LOOK IN THE LEFT HAND CORNER ...... I AM A COUNTY FAIR CHAMPION POSTER!!! ALL OF MY DREAMS HAVE COME TRUE <cowboy>
jUST SEND THE TROPHY IN CARE OF LAKESIDE FARMS, EVART MI.
i WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE EXACT MINUTE THAT i BECAME COUNTY FAIR CHAMPION POSTER??
Congatulations, I think it was on your 500th post! (clapping) <beer>

sue

Show us your bull Olson. Pictures please.