$2200 PRIME Example......

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

If the high dollar cattle doesn't kill the shows it is alright. But what happens if only 10 kids start showing up at shows? I thnk there are more calves out there than there are buyers now. What is a calf worth if he isn't a heat wave or what ever. He's just another calf.

firesweepranch

Oh, GW you said it so well!
I am sitting on the same boat, so to speak. In our area, we have no big auctions to sell that winning steer at in the end, so we just eat it, literally! We raise seed stock Simmental cattle first, then play with steers. We have a show every weekend starting in May and running through September, and have a blast from local one day shows to the Missouri State fair. This year we even showed our steer at the Regional Simmental show (and we only paid $790 for him - 10 cents over market price at the time). We put just as much effort and money into the steer as we do the heifers, from good feed to grooming and clipping practices. What I have a problem with is paying $1000 for something that will have another $800 in feed put in it before it goes to the freezer, with no way to make a return (except in small premiums paid at the shows). I can buy a heifer and breed her and make money while I show her, so I am willing to pay more money for something like that. This year, we are seriously considering not raising a steer and just sticking to the heifers, and raise pigs and chickens for the county fair because it is cheaper. It seems there are two markets of steers; the high priced over $1000 range and your average run-of-the-mill pasture steer that you can get for market price (that will never win anything!). It is so important to my kids to spend a bunch of money on an animal that won't get the return just to win? NO! So why do steers? There needs to be a market for good quality steers that may not be state winners but will win at a county fair that does not cost so much, then you would see more kids showing steers.
Now if we can just get our herd built up big enough to have a steer or two each year for the kids to show..... but that is another topic! (lol)

forcheyhawk

First off congratulations to JBH and the Goretska family.  This is a cool story.

Also, it's making for some great debate.  I'd be shocked if high dollar cattle kill off too many cattle shows.  In Iowa anyway, you are hard pressed to find the really high dollar ones from Beef Expo to Majors.  There are several jackpots in the state that IMO are winnable.  Also, there are still several county fairs in Iowa that are winnable.  I don't have any numbers to support that our State Fair has seen a drop in numbers and really don't know about the Majors either.

I sometimes wonder if the reason jackpots don't see a drop off is the commitment.  Think about what it takes to go to a one day jackpot.  If you're like me, you load up a chute, a generator, a show box, a couple of calves, some feed and some bedding.  Then when you get to the show, you rush around trying to get everything set up, cattle checked in, cattle washed, and have just enough time to relax for a few minutes before spending over an hour per calf getting them ready.  All that for about 5 minutes of ring time.  Then when the calves are done showing, it's get them washed and dried, load chute, generator, show box, left over feed, left over bedding, and calves back up to drive home.  Again all that for about 5 minutes of show time.  While I certainly enjoy it, I could see where in this day and age that we (those of us that enjoy this life) are the last of a dying breed.  I could see where showing up to play a sport might be a little easier.

I guess what I"m saying is I sometimes wonder if it's less about the price of calves and more about the grind.  I've been to a few of my daughter's softball games and find those more relaxing than what I described above.  Just some thoughts I've been having about the topic.   <beer>  

ZNT

aj said:
If the high dollar cattle doesn't kill the shows it is alright. But what happens if only 10 kids start showing up at shows? I thnk there are more calves out there than there are buyers now. What is a calf worth if he isn't a heat wave or what ever. He's just another calf.

I have to agree. The club calf market is over-saturated. Just look at the August Show Circuit magazine. The only ways to make it as a breeder or a trader is to be the best, or the best customer service. Even the cheapest doesn't cut it any more.

Congrat's on the first Major win for My Turn. Brad, you've done a great job with marketing of My Turn, but no amount of marketing can compare to a win like this!

fed_champions

GONEWEST said:
Congratulations on your success with My Turn. I submit that you are very fortunate that Tracy wound up with the calf. Obviously by that time he was really good. Many traders would have made that calf Heat Wave sired.  This is a generalization, but if people are going to pay a big price for a steer that's what they want to buy. In turn of course the traders want to sell what you want to buy. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that many champions have been sired by either no name bulls or even household name bulls that didn't get the credit for their performance. This is in no way a negative comment toward Heatwave. It's just that his success has fueled this.

I agree, Ive seen a lot of Heatwave babies, they all have the same look to them, big bodied, big boned, heavy muscled. Still, they tend to lack a bit of lower quarter and base width and theyre not the most beautiful fronted. So, anytime i see a steer that doesnt offer up the same look leaves me questioning whether they really are a heatwave. His genetics are very distinct and prominent and the cattle that look diffferent probably arent what the seller says they are.

sue

rf21970 said:
Great posts guys. You can't buy an eye for good cattle. Not everyone has it, but those that do have an advantage over those who can only evaluate quality by the size of the price tag.

I think this comment really sums it up for the cattle business in general.....