24 Days to go, what ya'll think??

Help Support Steer Planet:

PaFFA Proud

I will soon be heading for the PA Beef Expo in 24 days, I've been putting a lot of hard work and hours of elbow grease into my steer. We have hit a few bumps in the road(lice, reaction to dewormer and his casturation wasent all the way done) but its all behind us. I have been washing, rinsing,brushing, and blowing this steer everyday. He is getting 24lbs of Purina Honor Finisher. He was born early April. He weighed 885 yesterday. The breeders think he is a Hardcore steer but said they will look into it for me. He was re-casturated last saturday and it is slowley getting smaller.My fair is the first week of Aug. So what do ya'll think of him? ;D
023.jpg
I know his head is missing,lol
017.jpg
Butt shot attempt 1
016.jpg
Butt shot 2
015.jpg
On a slight slant

Ill try to get some pics of me actually holding him so he will look a lot better!

PaFFA Proud

Oh just found this one from today, I think it shows him off better.....he just luvs bath time :)

Attachments

• scrubadub.jpg
    scrubadub.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 890

MCC

He looks 1000% better than he looked in his last pictures. Work on getting some leg hair on him and he should be double tough. Congrats and keep up the good work!  (clapping)

PaFFA Proud

MCC said:
He looks 1000% better than he looked in his last pictures. Work on getting some leg hair on him and he should be double tough. Congrats and keep up the good work!  (clapping)

Thanks everyone for the compliments....MCC I dont know whats up with his legs? Im brushing and blowing them everyday...lol can u say rogaine? Its tempting. (lol)

WBar Farms

maybe its the picture but the hooves seem to be gettin a little long good lookin steer

PaFFA Proud

So anyone got any tips on getting his leg hair better. Right now I am getting his legs wet and using my rice root brush i brush upwards in a brisk manner, then I put the blower right on his leg and blow upwards meanwhile using a round boar bristle brush to brush the hair upwards. I do this 2 if not 3 times a day. His pen is very clean, so I know its not muck slowing the hair down. Any more tips...with the roto brush I cant see spending money on it when this is my last year  :'(

PaFFA Proud

WBar Farms said:
maybe its the picture but the hooves seem to be gettin a little long good lookin steer
Thanks, and yep they are a little long,they will be getting trimmed in 3 weeks when he gets clipped for the expo :)

savaged

PaFFA Proud said:
So anyone got any tips on getting his leg hair better. Right now I am getting his legs wet and using my rice root brush i brush upwards in a brisk manner, then I put the blower right on his leg and blow upwards meanwhile using a round boar bristle brush to brush the hair upwards. I do this 2 if not 3 times a day. His pen is very clean, so I know its not muck slowing the hair down. Any more tips...with the roto brush I cant see spending money on it when this is my last year  :'(

Get a couple of cheap plastic wash brushes (the kind that are designed to screw onto a hose).  When wet or dry, use these to brush the rear leg hair forward and at a slight angle upward.  At this point focus on the hair you can pull forward and backward - just get a part in the middle of the leg.  On the front legs brush it all upward.  You are correct to blow the hair up as well, but do not let this take the place of the brushing.  When it is just damp, spray it with Kleen Sheen and/or Double Dip, and brush and blow again.

I would also take a day and do a fitting "run-thru" and pull the leg hair with adhesive, and do the basic clipping on the legs (i.e., the hock, shape, front and back lines).  I always seem to get better results doing this occasionally if not going to shows.  If the hair lying to the hoof will not pull (likely), then you have to focus a quarter inch up and then trim to the hoof.  Clean lines will help a lot even if the hair does not fully cooperate.

Keep up the good effort!

PaFFA Proud

I forgot to mention I do spray on the kleen sheen when its damp and brush/blow in. Jw when you state middle of the leg is it the side of the leg or front of the leg? Also you stated parting it foward and back, do i brush the hair on the back  towards the tail or nose? And as for the fitting with adhesives I have no idea how to fit a steer yet, lol thats in a few weeks. But thanks for the info i guess ill try that tomarrow.

OH Breeder

I am assuming you had the vet visit to correct the testicle issue?
I also would suggest giving the calf a week to get use to feet trim. YOu said three weeks and show is in 24 days right? That only gives him a three days to get his feet worked out. They feet look a little long. You want a week or 10 days for him to get use to the new hoof. Just my opinion. Making great strides looks good.

PaFFA Proud

OH Breeder said:
I am assuming you had the vet visit to correct the testicle issue?
I also would suggest giving the calf a week to get use to feet trim. YOu said three weeks and show is in 24 days right? That only gives him a three days to get his feet worked out. They feet look a little long. You want a week or 10 days for him to get use to the new hoof. Just my opinion. Making great strides looks good.
I accidently counted the weeks till the show, its gunna be the week before the show.. so like the 19th, I wont be showing him till the 26 of March but we arrive the 24th. And instead of the vet coming out I just took him back to the breeder and they fixed it for me last Saturday, so he is slowly healing. And thanks for noticing all my hard work  ;D

shortdawg

Congats on your steer ! Looks like you are working hard on him and doing a good job feeding, grooming, etc. He should be a good fat steer by Aug ! Good luck !

titan

Great steer! for the leg hair problem, we usually just use a drill w/ a roto-brush on the end. and just pull the legs up with that when they are wet. That usually works for us. good luck with your steer. Keep posted on how he does. Good Luck!!!!  O0

PaFFA Proud

shortdawg said:
Congats on your steer ! Looks like you are working hard on him and doing a good job feeding, grooming, etc. He should be a good fat steer by Aug ! Good luck !
Thank-you, I hope he does well at expo..but I know there is gunna be a whole lot of better steers there so Im going for the experience and if I do good, great but if not at least I got to get him out and about and have fun and learn things I can take home to prepare for fair ;D I think he has a chance at our county fair which would be a great close-up for my last year showing in Jr. shows <cowboy> This was our fair's grand champ last year http://unioncountywestendfair.com/gallery.php?gazpart=view&gazimage=8 hopefully my guy is there this year (clapping)

ruhtram

You've done a great job PaFFA! Can't wait to see a picture with him all clipped out (clapping)

PaFFA Proud

titan said:
Great steer! for the leg hair problem, we usually just use a drill w/ a roto-brush on the end. and just pull the legs up with that when they are wet. That usually works for us. good luck with your steer. Keep posted on how he does. Good Luck!!!!   O0

Thanks and I been thinking about ordering a roto-brush this thursday, and just resale it to a 4-h kid at the conclusion of our fair. What is the typical results of using the roto-brush for about 3 weeks? Can you really see the differance?