2nd calf cow not milking very well

Help Support Steer Planet:

ia girl

I have a second calf cow that is not milking very well.  the cow is an Aviator x JPJ.  She did well with her first calf out of an Angus bull.  Her second calf was dead when I found it.  She had it all cleaned off-so not sure if it was born dead or not.  I got a calf that day that she did adopt the same day.  Problem though is her milk has never been very good.    Just needing some advise.  Do I ship her?  Was she traumatized by dead calf?  The calf is now a month old and seems to be doing fine.  Will any supplements help cow??    thank you for any advise given.

ia girl

Yes it is.  Just don't understand it.  ????  She is in good condition, getting mineral.  Gonna put her on some Accuration by Purnia this weekend and pasture.

Showin a Shorty

I would check her for a uterine infection. Sometimes they can have a tiny bit of an infection and it just lingers and you could never know. My dad is really good with checking our girls but if someone in your family isn't have a vet reach in her. Sometimes all it takes is a does or two of penicillin to make them feel better and start really producing the milk. I would certainly have a vet check her before I shipped her IMO. Hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!

ia girl

what would the vet feel for??  would she have an abnormal discharge, fever or anything i could look for?  Should I give her some LA 200?? 

ejoe326

Fresh green grass might be the ticket.

The vet would likely palpate for tone, size, check for infection, temp, etc.  I've had cows were I don't catch a discharge but when I sleeve them I find an infection.

Have you checked her bag?  Was the calf vaccinated and wormed?  I will assume you have a calf that is behind the others. 

ia girl

Her bag is not warm or hard.  The calf is a bit behind but only weighed maybe 45 lbs,  she is out of a Northern Improvement cow x Maine bull.  The gentleman I got her from did vaccinate her when born. The cow came into heat this weekend.  Her natural calf was born March 20th.

Latest posts