3020 JD tractor

Help Support Steer Planet:

Hilltop

We have a JD 3020 that is going through starters every 50 to 100hrs or less than a year.  :mad:  We dont use it much but when we need it we NEED it. It cuts some hay and has snow plow on it in winter and with working its kind of nice to have it start whenever we need it to. Went to start it on the 24th and nothing again. Battery is fully charged and all connections are clean. There is full 12volts at starter and tried to short it out but wont do anything that way either. The only good JD mechanic is off on leave now till the end of January so I dont want to bug him at home. Besides a stick of dynamite does anyone have any ideas?? I also just took it off and turned it thinking maybe just a dead spot in starter and put back on and still nothing. Put $3500 into it 2 years ago and is a newer 12 volt not the old 24volt system so dont know what to do. With my luck its prob somnething simple, or NOT!  Got any smokin deals Shady Lane??

nate53

Take the starter off and put on a bench.  Put a set of jumper cables on it connected to a good battery, then short across solenoid and see if it works.  What did you change when you went to 12 volt from 24?

Hilltop

nate53 said:
Take the starter off and put on a bench.  Put a set of jumper cables on it connected to a good battery, then short across solenoid and see if it works.  What did you change when you went to 12 volt from 24?
Tried that and it wont turn. Something inside is buggered. It was originally a 12 volt. Heard lots of stories about the 24volt always giving trouble

Hoosier

We have 2 3020's and one had a bad habit of eating starters.  Went through 3 or 4 of the old style starters in a 2 year span.  We finally bit the bullet and paid a little more money and bought a newer style gear reduction starter and have had little to no trouble.  The first one lasted 4 years with the tractor getting started several times a day.  Big plus is that the gear reduction starter is a lot smoother engaging than the old Denso starters.  I think that is what causes the majority of the problems with the Denso's going out is that the drive gear really slams out and engages roughly on the flywheel gear on the engine.

Hilltop

Hoosier said:
We have 2 3020's and one had a bad habit of eating starters.  Went through 3 or 4 of the old style starters in a 2 year span.  We finally bit the bullet and paid a little more money and bought a newer style gear reduction starter and have had little to no trouble.  The first one lasted 4 years with the tractor getting started several times a day.  Big plus is that the gear reduction starter is a lot smoother engaging than the old Denso starters.  I think that is what causes the majority of the problems with the Denso's going out is that the drive gear really slams out and engages roughly on the flywheel gear on the engine.
Thanks Hoosier. We actually went today and got a another regular starter. It is a Wilson brand and not sure if that means anyhting but was $80 less than the JD Reman and has a full 12months warranty so if it makes it past the 12 months we will try the new gear reduction one. The JD service manager was good in switching them for us cause yesterday at JD they said only 3 months if I install the starter so that is why I didn't go back for a JD reman. I think it was $420 from JD. Do you remember how much you paid for the newer style starter and from where??

Just curious what you use your 2 3020's for?? Are they the newer style with the hydraulic controls by your right hand?  My Dad bought this one new on 1969  and farmed with it for 13 years until he got a 4240. It came without a cab then he bought a snowplow in 1974 and they built a cab with heat, then I put a old style cab cooler on it about 5 or 6 years ago which made a amazing difference cutting hay in 30 degree C temps. Still have the same front mount snow plow too lol.  It is overloaded with the 14ft haybine but does a pretty good job except in 2011 when we had the heaviest hay crop we will ever see. Lots of 2nd gear cutting then! 

blackdiamond

Hilltop said:
Hoosier said:
Thanks Hoosier. We actually went today and got a another regular starter. It is a Wilson brand and not sure if that means anyhting but was $80 less than the JD Reman and has a full 12months warranty so if it makes it past the 12 months we will try the new gear reduction one. The JD service manager was good in switching them for us cause yesterday at JD they said only 3 months if I install the starter so that is why I didn't go back for a JD reman. I think it was $420 from JD. Do you remember how much you paid for the newer style starter and from where??

Just curious what you use your 2 3020's for?? Are they the newer style with the hydraulic controls by your right hand?  My Dad bought this one new on 1969  and farmed with it for 13 years until he got a 4240. It came without a cab then he bought a snowplow in 1974 and they built a cab with heat, then I put a old style cab cooler on it about 5 or 6 years ago which made a amazing difference cutting hay in 30 degree C temps. Still have the same front mount snow plow too lol.  It is overloaded with the 14ft haybine but does a pretty good job except in 2011 when we had the heaviest hay crop we will ever see. Lots of 2nd gear cutting then! 

3020 are pretty much the same tractor as a 4020, and the 4020 is the farmer's tractor.. they are used for everything under the sun, every day of the year, and usually for a whole lifetime...

bruiser

Something you could check is the cables. I had trouble with my combine a couple years ago, after unhooking and removing the cables , I found a hard place inside the cable. I cut it open and it was solid green corrosion about four inches long. ever since Ive checked the battery cables at the beginning of each harvest.

Latest posts