--

Help Support Steer Planet:

GKE Cattle

IF the cattle are quite , there is no reason you cannot get them ready in the stahl.  I hate to even think how many I have fitted in the stahl.  NO it is not the way you want to do it, but when push comes to shove,,you can do it. 

CANsteer

you could build a giant lamb stand  (lol) jk. i think it would be better to get a chute for them to stand in at a show. i recomend one of the kirk stierwalt chute. i have one and its awesome

obie105

I hardly ever use a chute. Especially for weekend shows it is just one more thing to haul around and I go by myself alot. If your cattle are worked with at home they will stand.

twistedhshowstock

I very rarely use a chute either.  And to answer your question, yes the chute is only to keep them still.  I used a chute at big shows where I am more worried about perfection, but at smaller shows and jackpots, there is no way I am hauling that thing with me.  Even the ones that move around alittle can be done right in the stall with their heads tied up, if they want to fidget some, just have someone stand on the other side of them to keep them from turning away.  Having someone scratch them with a stick while your working on them will also help.    Frankly, in my opinion, the chute is the least of your worries when it comes to preparing one for a show.

rasor club calves

If you don't have chute here is something you could do- at a show these people took plywood cut it down to about the legnth and width of a chute, covered it with that fake grass carpet and on each side attached pvc pipe so they couldn't move back and forth. They had 3 of these in a row on the side of the trailer(they tide the cattle to the trailer) and had fitting mats between each "stand"-i geuss. IMHO it looked very neat and efficient.

renegadelivestock

i hardly ever use a chute, if you tie them up at home with their heads up high, and work on them like that, then they get used to standing, and you hardly ever need a chute

shortii

I say it all comes down to how well your cattle will stand. It's nice to have a chute if you have one that wont stand still while getting them ready. But if they will stand and  cooperate than I wouldn't worry about a chute.

AAOK

Sometime, back in the 90s, before the Tulsa Show Stalls were remodeled, all chutes were banned.  Just meant those who hadn't worked their calves had a hard time grooming.

flacowman

I haven't used a chute in 3 years, spent lots of money on good chutes that I still have but we work with our cattle a lot more now and just don't need them.  The only thing that usually bothers calves at first is the blower and the clippers, which after just a few times they will come to tolerate quite well.  Just work with them at home tied up and practice a short fitting routine every day.  I like to clip a little on a calf every week anyways so it should work well.

angus88

If my cattle will stand then I don't even bother putting them in a chute, I would almost rather just fit them in the stall....less hassle at times depending on the show.  The only problem is shavings sticking to the hair.  I have seen people roll out a small piece of indoor/outdoor carpet under them.  I always thought that was a good idea, I just never took the time to do that. I think in the stall is easier since usually all your stuff is right by your stall anyways.  Good luck!

HeiferShower14

Does anyone have any sort of plans for the make shift chute, i dont know what to call it lol i know its not to complicated just need some sort of a plan