--

Help Support Steer Planet:

The Show

Genetics, genetics, and feed him!!!!! I've got 400lb calves that were just weaned eating more than that.

CMB

The Show said:
Genetics, genetics, and feed him!!!!! I've got 400lb calves that were just weaned eating more than that.

He should be eating at least 20#'s of a good grower ration a day and he needs to be eating more like 25-30#'s a day. He needs to gain 3#'s a day to get to you target weight and 6#'s grain and hay won't do it. As far as butt, you've probably missed out on some lean muscle growth with the lack of feed. Just feed him hard and he'll be as good as he can be. Flank is hard to add. If he doesn't have it you can try feeding full tank, beet pulp, oats, cottonseed hulls. My concern would be that he needs to gain weight and all of the feed you need to help drop his flank will not really help him gain. They'll make him feel full and look full.

ferkj

If you could post a few pics of him that may help with suggestions also.  Agree with above posts FEED FEED FEED and MORE FEED

Gargan

if hes only getting 6lbs a day, hes the easiest feeding steer ever maybe..lol.. did u mean to say hes getting 6 gal a day?

kfacres

SoCoGirl said:
He is 100% angus pur bred and is papered and will show In the angus class

yup, it's hard to get a pure angus with an ass on it.. especially once they start to mature.. which would also explain his fleshing abilty..

sounds to me like you're stuck with him... he's almost done anyways- and i'm not sure when your show is, but sounds to me like you'll be ok.

kfacres

I don't agree with that.. To ask a bunch of people who have the slightest clue about your calf- have never seen it- and never will see it... is not my ideal situation of  getting him looking better.  Even though most of these people know far more than I do- I think your calf looks good at this point- and I would trust the people who have seen him with more of my thoughts.  and obviously he's done well until now.

I might tweek your ration some- but I sure wouldn't change it 200%.

I think maybe mix more filler- such as beet pulp in there== but I wouldn't go all hog wild on it.  obviously your adviser must know something.. maybe have someone local come in check the calf out- and show them some suggestions.

shortdawg

SoCoGirl said:
25lbs? So 12 1/3 AM.   And 12 1/2 pm grain
No beet pulp and alot of grass hay

Just so I don't ruffle any feathers - a general rule is to feed 2-3% of the calf's body weight - every calf is different - obviously your calf is a very easy feeder b/c he looks great to be only getting 6lbs of feed/day - over calves have had 25/day in front of them since they have been in the barn - when they were little it was a lot for them and we would have to skip every 4th-5th feeding to let them clean up a bit - when they got closer to fat weight it was just enough to maintain them at top condition - when pushing them early like we do a lot of hay is a must - i know supplements have their place in the feeding program and lots of folks use them but we don't - ours get feed, hay, and water. - beet pulp is ok to make one feel and look full but it's not going to do much for weight gain - again this is my experience from feeding ours but your situation may be different - get a 2nd opinion from someone else that can actually look at your calf in person - good luck !

firesweepranch

Have you figured your average daily gain? You said he was 870 a month ago, do you have a previous weight? Just curious.
We just had our county weigh in today, our fair is the first week of June. Our steer was 1120, and about 30 days ago we weighed him at 1020, so 100 pounds gained. He is getting about 20 pounds of feed a day, so he is right on track. If I did my math correct, he will be right at 1400 for our fair, which is where he should be.
Having a track record of gains helps a lot when figuring out how much to feed. It sounds like you are right on track, but keeping accurate records always helps!

NEB

I think your steer looks really nice. I also think he will improve in his butt and flank as he gains weight. In this area when the heat rises, weight gets harder to put on.  It's much easier to shrink than to want more weight at the end. Good Luck.

OH Breeder

Okay....well here is the way I see it. Our county fair is in september after labor day. June July and August are the hardest months to gain any weight. By June you want him close to finished if not finished. Unless you have a cooler. At this point I would not be feeding a bunch of filler. Hay will help him belly down and expand. I would talk to a feed consultant that can look at your calf. If you are in Southern California I would imagine you also have some pretty hot summers. Do you have access to a nutrionist? We are pretty lucky we can get our feed guys to come to the farm and work with us. That is what you need is someone who is experienced to see your calf and work with you on a ration.

ferkj

I gotta agree with Jody to an extent on this one.  We can look at pics but having someone see him in person is better.  In my opinion and keep in mind that's all it is is that for a PB angus he ain't bad at all.  Every animal has a weight range that they will look and do the best based on frame, structure and alot of other things.  From the pics  I'm guessing he will look and do well at 1150-1200.  once you get a weight gain trend then you can figure out ADG and if you need to bump up his feed and by how much.  If you need to and I'm guessing you will, increase his feed do it gradually over a week or more so he gets used to it. Don't go from 6 lbs a day to 12 the next day. As an earlier post said it's alot easier puttin weight on now than waiting till the heat is on and praying they will eat.  He looks to have good hair now so work on keeping that which will help alot come July.  True flank depth is sometimes difficult to add with just beet pulp or other fillers. They will help with belly but less with the flank itself.  Fat and age will help with the flank and as far as butt goes he either has it or he don't.

Bradenh

alfalfa hay will drop his flank, but i show americans so wouldnt know much about looking at a big butt  (lol)

we show the first week in june and our calves are 976, 1135, and 926 getting 23lbs of feed a day, so may want to take that for what its worth and compare weights and what not to see where you should be

Boot Jack Bulls

First of all, that is a pretty good looking Angus steer. Second of all, I agree that it is hard to make very specific recommendations on an animal one has never seen in person. Pictures help, but until you see how the steer moves and put your hands on him - like a good judge- it is hard to get an accurate interpretation. My advice would be to seek a professional. I always suggest that youth try to find a breeder or judge in there own area to get advice. If you are not in direct competition with them or their children, they will more often than not be very willing to help you out. When I was young, I made it a point to find the people who were winning most and learn what I could from them. If they are winning, it is for a reason, good, bad or otherwise! Good luck with your steer!

kfacres

Boot Jack Bulls said:
First of all, that is a pretty good looking Angus steer. Second of all, I agree that it is hard to make very specific recommendations on an animal one has never seen in person. Pictures help, but until you see how the steer moves and put your hands on him - like a good judge- it is hard to get an accurate interpretation. My advice would be to seek a professional. I always suggest that youth try to find a breeder or judge in there own area to get advice. If you are not in direct competition with them or their children, they will more often than not be very willing to help you out. When I was young, I made it a point to find the people who were winning most and learn what I could from them. If they are winning, it is for a reason, good, bad or otherwise! Good luck with your steer!

x2 especially the bolded statement...  It's amazing what I have learned and gotten out of helping those in the winner's circle-- good, bad, cheatable, or anything else.  I spent time around a past winner- and spent alot of time around a current winner. 

shortdawg

Cut the BS said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:

x2 especially the bolded statement...  It's amazing what I have learned and gotten out of helping those in the winner's circle-- good, bad, cheatable, or anything else.  I spent time around a past winner- and spent alot of time around a current winner. 

(thumbsup)