4-H clubs

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

seeing as how today was my clubs first meeting of the year (12 members; mainly steers and heifers... stupid lambs  :p lol ) and im elected president (AGAIN)  (thumbsup), thought it would be interesting to see what all positions you steer planeteers kids or yourself takes in a 4-H club or FFA...

shortyjock89

I was treasurer for 5 years, Vice-president for 2, and President for 1.  My dad was the leader for two years too.  My sister is the treasurer now, and has been for the last 2 years. 

oakbar

My daughters have been really, really active in 4-H and FFA at the county, area, and state level.  There is no better training program for young people than these two organizations if they are led properly.  We have an excellent Extension Director and he does everything he can to get kids involved in something they are interested in.  If they like cattle, goats, woodworking,needlepoint, vegetables, or whatever he just finds a way for them to succeed.  At the Iowa 4-H Conference the last several years we have recieved the award for the most kids taking part.  In fact, there are 99 counties in Iowa and two years ago we had 105 kids out of the 1100 from the whole state.  I'm a former school board member(12 years)and I'm very proud to report that our school has to sometimes schedule around the 4-H calendar or they won't have enough students or parents for their activities. 

I'm proud of you young people for being involved in 4-H.  Challenge your peers to be involved and recruit adults who are good mentors to teach you about their individual skills. 

If you'd like to see a clip of my eldest daughter's TV clip for last year's State Fair look up IPTV.org, look for the Iowa State Fair collection, and then scroll down to the 4-H State Fair Prep winner program.  Her name is Allix and she is featured with her Shorthorn heifer"Spice".  You'll even get to see her old greybeard dad and hear about our County Beef Team!!

Good luck in your 4-H experiences.  Work hard and be a good partner to the other 4-Hrs.  You'll realize later just how much you really learned while you were involved!!

showgirl2010

I have been secretary, tresurer, and reporter in 4-H.  In FFA I am junior secretary.  My mom is the 4-h leader now and we have meetings every month except in the summer.  We have about 40 to 50 kids.  I would say about 10 kids show livestock.  Quite a few people aren't showing just because of the premis ID thing. Thats just in the wonderful state of IL where they are forcing it upon 4-h and FFA kids though.  I don't like the way they are going around that but I think it could be beneficial.  Some of the old timers though are not giong to change their ways for nothing.  I am glad my dad does't care showing cattle is my life!

Jamie

ShowmanQ

I was president of my 4H club a few years ago. Sentinel in FFA my Junior year and Treasurer my Senior year. I was the FFA's representative on the County Jr Fair Board for 2 years. I am currently the General Livestock Judging Team's Coach for my former FFA Chapter, and now a 4H Advisor and Asst. Superintendent of the Fairfield County 4H General Livestock Judging club. They just can't get rid of me haha!!!

SKF

My son is President of one of clubs that has about 70 kids in it and is vice president in another club. My daughter is secretaryin one and reporter in the other.

Kupfarm

I was a 9 year 4-H member and now I am on my 10th year as a Leader, 5th year serving on the Auction Council ( last 3 as Vice Chairperson), 1st year sitting on the County Club Committee and I was a Beef/Beefcarcass Supt. for several years.  I love the 4-H program and truly believe in it as a good mold for the youth of our country.