--

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

CaliforniaCattle said:
Hey everyone, I have a clarification question about using the medication Bo-Se. ( Selenium, Vitamin E)
Previously I had known it being used to help with joint inflammation and mobility issues throughout many species.. Hogs, cattle, lambs etc
I was having a conversation with someone today who advised not to give Bo-Se to a hog that was having some rear leg/hip issues because they felt Bo-Se "tightened up the muscled and joints". They were highly against using Bo-Se because they had known this medication to have a tightening, and straightening effect on joints and muscles.

Can someone please help clarify for me the effect Bo-Se has on show livestock?? I have heard of great success using with lambs and Mu-Se with cattle to help with joint inflammation and popping pasterns as well as mobility in general.
How does Bo-Se effect hogs?

Both BoSe and MuSe are prescription medications - so what does your prescribing veterinarian say? Have you read the label? Do you know the slaughter withhold?

Diamond

We utilize it in our program but I'm also from an area deficient in selenium. I have sceen an inprovement when using the product however it won't change an animals structure if your hoping for a miracle fix.

DL

CaliforniaCattle said:
Both BoSe and MuSe are prescription medications - so what does your prescribing veterinarian say? Have you read the label? Do you know the slaughter withhold?

Yes, I am aware of withdrawal times for these medications and have read the labels and am familiar with the prescribed medication. Was just trying to get clarification on when administered how it effects joints/muscles.... Thank you though.
[/quote]

If that is the case then you are aware that using BoSe in show cattle for "inflammation and popping pasterns" is extra label drug use in food animals BoSe is indicated for the treatment and prevention of white muscle disease (-- if you have the insert there is a sentence about the anti-inflammatory effects of BoSe experimentally induced polyarthritis in the rat). The actions of selenium and vitamin E are multiple and complicated. Regardless, of what effect it may have on the rat, "inflammation and popping pasterns" is not a sufficient reason to use it in show steers, pigs or lambs - there are potentially severe adverse reactions from the drug, too much selenium can be toxic, and (don't shoot the messenger) it is illegal to use it in the manner you describe. I would suggest that you contact the veterinarian who prescribed the drug