Help Support Steer Planet:

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

:eek:
Had a K-MONA LISA cut her leg the same way, maybe not as big and below the joint. Good luck

Attachments

• 592bf47bd79052d08e691b7278fe4f07.gif
    592bf47bd79052d08e691b7278fe4f07.gif
    32.4 KB · Views: 787

CAB

If no tendons or ligaments are cut, use a good antiseptic and wrap it with vet tape. There'll be proud flesh, but it looks like it should heal. Won't be pretty, but IMO if you sew it shut it may get worse unless you leave a drain. You should have your vet look at it though.

renegadelivestock

mix betadine with sugar into a paste and pack the wound with it, and the bandage with gauze and vet wrap over top. the granulated texture of the paste will keep the scar tissue to a minimum, and the betadine will keep it sterile

frostback

The small pen is a good idea. You can rinse with water if it gets dirty but a wrap for a few days will help that. I would not put on Banamine unless he goes off feed. Yes he will be in pain but I would let him be ginger on it. If you give him pain reliever he may over due it. Let him feel the pain and take it easy.

chambero

I would use banamine and penicillin or another antibiotic.

Can you keep him out of mud and dry?  If so, I like to leve cuts uncovered so they dry out.  I'd  rinse it out with hydrogen peroxide for a couple of days and use something like furox or scarlet wound spray.  If you can avoid infection, it'll heal pretty quick.

Doc

Use Nu-stock on it for the proud flesh. Used it for years whenever we had a horse get cut and it works real good.

Limiman12

I agree with not using much pain killer if any.....  You want him to know it hurts for a while so he doesn't do stupid things....

hamburgman

I wouldn't worry much about proud flesh on the calf, it tends to be a major horse issue, not seen all that often in cattle.  I wouldn't use peroxide since peroxide destroys good cells and bad cells and slows the healing process.

I would clean with chlorhexidine solution which is very easy on the skin and cleans wounds with out causing much pain.  I would lavage it with saline water which you can make yourself.  I really like neosporin but I know of doctors who hate it, but I tend to have good luck with it.  Might want to see if you vet is up to suturing it, it looks doable to me.

SlickTxMaine

I have always had good luck with plain water therapy.  Spray it with a hose 2 x day, completely flushing it.  You want it to heal from the inside out, and from the edges in.  While spraying it, I have used a washcloth with antibacterial soap.  With my horses, I scrub the scab off daily, until it starts to bleed. This ensures new tissue growth and minimizes the proud flesh, which horses are so prone to.  Then I apply either antibacterial ointment or spray.  Repeat daily, or preferably 2 x day.  I prefer to leave it open.  It will take time, but a slow heal will minimize the scar and keep it from closing up and then festering under the scab. 

chambero

When your goal is to keep a wound disinfected that is in a place very susceptible to infection, peroxide is a very good choice AND readily available and painless.  But you do have to rinse it off with water to avoid the possibility of damaging tissue - but I've never seen that actually happen.  Peroxide is very strong but I still consider it hard to beat.