4H CATTLE DEMONSTRATION. I NEED SOME HELP

Help Support Steer Planet:

LittleHeifer

Ok so for our demos we got to choose this year. (clapping) So I chose the COOL program.  (argue)
My delima is we have to do an illistrated talk and I have no idea how to do it with this topic. ???
Also if anyone has any info on cool it would be much appreciated ;D
little heifer (angel)

american honey

You should make a diagram of a cows stomach!! That is awesome!! Tell about different types of feed and stuff like that... Good Luck!!! :)

vc

Try this:

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/COOL

You might be able to use some of their material at the bottom of the page for your presentation.

I do know that other countries that import beef are opposed to beef being required to have it on the packaging in the US, you know NAFTA and all.

American Honey, The Cool program is a USDA program for "Country of origin labeling" to identify where your food is from. Something all you kids should probably look at just in case a judge ask you about it during showmanship.

LittleHeifer

Thank you. I picked it cause we have to fill out the forms for fair but none of us really know anything about it. VC thanks for the info and it would be good to know for showmanship and even the market class as I have been asked questions then.
little heifer (angel)

LittleHeifer

I am trying to figure out a begining of my speech. but I am falling short. does anyone have any ideas that would make it catchy?
litle heifer (angel)

LittleHeifer

LittleHeifer said:
I am trying to figure out a begining of my speech. but I am falling short. does anyone have any ideas that would make it catchy?
litle heifer (angel)
anyone??? ???
little heifer (angel)

Bradenh

i have no idea what this cool thing is. but when i do cattle demonstrations i always like the cloning stuff  and how that relates to the showring. its something anybody can relate too. easy to research. and its very catchey

LittleHeifer

I love cloning but I did that a Couple of years ago. COOL is Country Of Origin Labeling.
Muscle Cuts
Beef (including Veal)
Lamb (including Mutton)
Chicken
Goat
Pork
Ground Meats
Beef (including Veal)
Lamb (including Mutton)
Chicken
Goat
Pork
The law excludes processed food items:
Change of Character
Cooking (frying, broiling, steaming, baking, roasting)
Curing (salt curing, sugar curing, drying)
Smoking (hot or cold)
Restructuring (emulsifying and extruding)
2.  Combined with Another Food Component
Also includes
fresh and fozen fruits and vegies
fish and shell fish
nuts
and ginseng

just some info about it. I will post my speech when i finish it will be good for everyone to know. there is sooo much info.lol
little heifer (angel)

Show Heifer

It frightens me that our youth of today do not know basic current policy/legislation that will affect the beef industry.  Isn't that what "showing beef" is about?  Or is it truly only about winning the purple?
COOL basically boils down to having meat products labeled from which country they orginate from. Most cow/calf producers favor it. Most cattle feeders do not. (Speaking in general terms of course)

LittleHeifer - I will PM you.

shortdawg

Is COOL really cool or not ?

American Farm Bureau has done a lot of lobbying on COOL and should have some good useful info for you to draw from.

american honey

Show Heifer said:
It frightens me that our youth of today do not know basic current policy/legislation that will affect the beef industry.  Isn't that what "showing beef" is about?  Or is it truly only about winning the purple?
COOL basically boils down to having meat products labeled from which country they orginate from. Most cow/calf producers favor it. Most cattle feeders do not. (Speaking in general terms of course)

LittleHeifer - I will PM you.
What makes you think that we dont know it? Just cuz we dont use big fancy words don't mean we know nothin. You shouldnt under estimate the us, we know a lot more than you think. Just sayin : )

vc

American honey, when littleheifer, said she was doing her presentation on the COOL Program and you stated she should do a diagram of the stomach, it appeared that you were not familiar with the program, and when show stopper 95 stated "i have no idea what this cool thing is" one would have to think that he was not familiar with the program either.
I would have to agree with Show Heifer, many times kids get wrapped up in the showing portion and do not pay much attention to the industry portion of cattle, and in all fairness to you kids, it is the less sexy side of cattle but it is why the original youth programs were set up. Its initial purpose was to educate the youth about animal husbandry and maybe interest them in a career in the industry, not just hair and purple ribbons. Not all kids but some do not look past the calf they have and how it will compete, end of their interest in cattle.

LittleHeifer good luck and keep up the good work.

LittleHeifer

Thank you everyone. and yes not alot of people know alot about cool. I thought I knew it I didn't knw half. I honestly think that thats due to it not being a big deal till last year when final rule was passed.
Little Heifer (angel)

Show Heifer

american honey said:
What makes you think that we dont know it? Just cuz we dont use big fancy words don't mean we know nothin. You shouldnt under estimate the us, we know a lot more than you think. Just sayin : )
[/quote]

Really? Is that statement a joke? I do not mean to be rude (hard to believe for some, I know) but you do not use proper spelling, you use a double negative, and do not use proper punctuation. THAT is suppose to give me the impression you know something? Really? REEEAAALLLLYYYY?

vc is correct, read the entire post and comments.

Little Heifer, If you need more info, just PM me . But I think it sounds like you are doing a super job!

LittleHeifer

Show Heiferand VC: Thank you for pointing out that nicely.
Show Heifer: Any info you have would be great to know. I have lost count of hours and pages of study. I don want to miss anything.
Little Heifer (angel)

american honey

vc said:
American honey, when littleheifer, said she was doing her presentation on the COOL Program and you stated she should do a diagram of the stomach, it appeared that you were not familiar with the program, and when show stopper 95 stated "i have no idea what this cool thing is" one would have to think that he was not familiar with the program either.
I would have to agree with Show Heifer, many times kids get wrapped up in the showing portion and do not pay much attention to the industry portion of cattle, and in all fairness to you kids, it is the less sexy side of cattle but it is why the original youth programs were set up. Its initial purpose was to educate the youth about animal husbandry and maybe interest them in a career in the industry, not just hair and purple ribbons. Not all kids but some do not look past the calf they have and how it will compete, end of their interest in cattle.

LittleHeifer good luck and keep up the good work.
OH! Sorry!! I thought you meant like a cool demonstration!! I didnt actually know that there is a progam or thing...I thought she needed ideas for a demonstration haha sorry about that!!

LittleHeifer

Thats alright. I'll post my speech when I finish with it. It'll have alot of info about everything you need to know about (well maybe not everything). lol
Little Heifer (angel)