5/8's?

Help Support Steer Planet:

pigguy

I'm looking at a new blade for doing necks on heifers and steers. I am looking at The 5/8's the 3/4's blade for the andis clippers, and a 1/2 blade for lister stars. which would be better? it seems like the 5/8's would be to long for clipping heifers necks but i dont know i havent used any of them what do you think?

AAOK

The BEST way is to just practice, and get steady enough to clip a neck without any guards or tricks.

If you absoluely can't do it the right way, give yourslef a week - 10 days before a show, and clip the neck,head, dewlap and brisket with your flat head blades in a downward motion.  All you have to do then is blend into the shoulders and nape of the neck.

pigguy

AAOK said:

The BEST way is to just practice, and get steady enough to clip a neck without any guards or tricks.

If you absoluely can't do it the right way, give yourslef a week - 10 days before a show, and clip the neck,head, dewlap and brisket with your flat head blades in a downward motion.  All you have to do then is blend into the shoulders and nape of the neck.
yes i can do that it just takes a little while, and when you have a calf that wont stand still it seems like it takes a lifetime.

I was talking to a guy whjo went to one of Kirk Steirwalt's clinics, and he said , that kirk was useing a set of 5/8's blades on andis 2 speeds, and he said that he was kinda embarassed to be useing them because it will make any bodys neck clip look good. So i figured i would give it a shot. But i didn't know if the 5/8 would leave the hair too long on heifers, that why i was wondering about the 1/2?

SD which blade are you talking about? Thanks a lot

kanshow

That's what he was using at the clinic we went to.  Of course that guy can handle a set of clippers.  I shudder to think what would happen with clippers in my kid's hands - but they have to learn so learn they will.

yuppiecowboy

The best I know dont even screw around anymore. 5/8 blades and let it rip. By best Im saying Josh Elder, Stenberg, Tracey. All 8 billion sullivan heifers out there winning seem to have nice necks to me.

Show Dad

M12 - I was talking the Groom Master (coarse) #915-52 by Oster. 

Kirk Steer Walk on Water (sorry cowz) is sponsored by Andis (which is a very good company) so they may be talking the 5/8" or 3/4" HT (hero) blade. I use that blade for the shoulders.