$ 53k steer / MAB / Reg Shorthorn

Help Support Steer Planet:

Chuck Wagon

Congrats to all you shorty breeders out there.  You might see more buyers coming in and raising your heifer prices replacing the Maine cross as the flavor of the day.

I'm sorry to say that I won't be one, but, enjoy the ride nonetheless...

Chuck.

shortyjock89

Care to explain?

You're being a little vague.

One $50,000 steer isn't going to change anything.

GoWyo

What happened to his sternum.  These cattle looked deformed in the brisket area.

Chuck Wagon

Sorry, didn't mean to come across that way.  $ 53K is alot of money for someone to spend on a steer on an internet auction where the Seller retains the DNA rights.  It has the appearance of rushing to the next big thing where promotion and marketing creates a bubble and you never want to buy at the top.

I'm a contrarian so I go against the grain, similar when everybody rushes to one side of boat and it tips over.  This seems to be the case, where breeders will rush out to try and duplicate a homerun steer.  I could certainly be wrong but the promotional machine will be in full force for MAB 

Bradenh

Welcome to the texas shorthorn steer market that's not the first one to go for some money it's been that way since we rode horses to school in the snow uphill both ways

Chuck Wagon

That's true Showstopper, but why buy any steer for that much money if you can't keep the DNA rights?  What am i missing?  Banners and Buckles?  Could I possibly get my money back?

Bradenh

People down here don't do it for profitability, a lot of those families have someone they want to beat or someone they want to impress money isn't the concept as much as winning and feeling like your leading the pack even if it's for a couple of days

Medium Rare

If they do, I hope they're prepared for what'll happen when they go throwing the latest and greatest big hipped clubby bulls into a bunch of left over Trump/Rodeo crosses.

shortyjock89

I don't think that steer is going to change many breeding programs. He's certainly not the first MAB x Shorthorn to look cool as a baby. Tim Schaefer sold a heifer out of a Trump or El Dorado a couple years ago for a pile of money. It's a well documented cross that makes excellent prospect calves and a small percentage of okay yearlings. Not exactly my cup of tea.

I personally have no use for the bull, but then again I don't care for steers.

If I'm going to get a crossbred, I'd much rather use Style or a First Class son.

Might consider Made to Order on a Shorthorn though, if I had to go club calf.

HomeRaised

This is a steer I raised this past year that is hitting the circuit now. He is a BIM X JPJ. I didn't get $53k for him, but he paid a lot of bills. If it wasn't for the shorthorn docility, I am not sure I would have used BIM, but this steer was  a kitten from the beginning.
I think MAB has his place, but I dont think you can just breed him to any shorthorn cow and expect to raise high dollar steers all day long.

Attachments

• Cys Hilton Magic at VCCP.png
    Cys Hilton Magic at VCCP.png
    727.5 KB · Views: 230

Gargan

HomeRaised said:
This is a steer I raised this past year that is hitting the circuit now. He is a BIM X JPJ. I didn't get $53k for him, but he paid a lot of bills. If it wasn't for the shorthorn docility, I am not sure I would have used BIM, but this steer was  a kitten from the beginning.
I think MAB has his place, but I dont think you can just breed him to any shorthorn cow and expect to raise high dollar steers all day long.
Congrats on raising that one. I looked him over at vccp , he's an impressive calf. Should have been top 3 at that show IMO! (thumbsup)

hntwhitetail

Just wondering if so many show steers are getting cloned that the seller needs to retain the dna rights? Just wondering how many do get cloned.

HomeRaised

Gargan said:
HomeRaised said:
Congrats on raising that one. I looked him over at vccp , he's an impressive calf. Should have been top 3 at that show IMO! (thumbsup)

Thanks. To me, you have to find the flaws in the cow and find a bull to fix those flaws. This shorthorn cow has a massive hip, and great extension thru her front 1/3. She lacks a lot of base width and chest floor, so I looked for something that would possibly shorten her length and add muscle to that hip shape she carries. The femininity that she carries is going to make this steers best days ahead of him.