6 dollar corn

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

I was told at the university(coop coffee table) that corn will hit 6 $ this July. Will this affect the price of beer?

kanshow

There are some rumors of sales where they can't get a bid on Holstein bull calves.  Don't know where this is or if there is any truth to it. 

knabe

this from the washington post

"The Post hyperbolized when it faulted Arizona law for its failure to recognize ‘the plain reality of America 's need for (illegal) immigrant labor’

"According to a July Census report, there are 54,277,000 Americans ages 16 to 64 who aren't in the labor force. This includes 23 million ‘less-educated’ adults who, for a variety of reasons, don't have a job.

"Narrowing this down further, there are 14 million people actively seeking employment who can't find a full-time job in today's economy, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. If the supply of illegal workers were to dry up through Arizona's new enforcement programs, employers in the state would be forced to respond by offering higher wages, increased benefits and improved working conditions. Employers would have more incentives to modernize and eliminate unnecessary workers. The result would be a new deal for unskilled American and legal workers because they would be better paid and have more enlightened work environments.

"Can you imagine it: Shifting the costs of illegal immigrant employment from the taxpayers to the marketplace?"[If Arizona's Law Succeeds, December 28, 2007

it's amazing the tenacity americans cling to the notion that the marketplace should not be able to set prices.

garybob

kanshow said:
There are some rumors of sales where they can't get a bid on Holstein bull calves.  Don't know where this is or if there is any truth to it. 
You seem surprised.
It's happenned before. Here, in the Ozarks ( SW MO/NW AR/NE OK), up until '85, EVERYBODY "Milked". The typical production scenario was "grass & grain-in-the-barn''. NO Silage--ever tried plowing rocks? Most got good production, and, our cows lasted longer than those "drylotted" and given TMR.
My Dad was one of those guys that hung on , until the bitter end. We almost lost everything.When baby calves (Holstein bulls) bottommed out, Well, that was the "canary in the mineshaft". I can remember this very same thing happenning 5 different times before I was 16 (1986).
If you'll notice, ladies and gents, when the price of bottle babies go to heck, everything else follows. Kind of like the "Pale Rider" of the Cattle Business.

GB

Jill

They had a story on the news last night that the elevators in our area are all training their employees on making sure everything is secure.  The elevators are having people come in at night and load out semi's with grain.  You never think about it being something of value, but I guess you load out a semi of 1000 bushel of 6 dollar corn or 12 dollar beans and you have a product that can't be traced.

kanshow

You seem surprised.
  Not surprised.. just kinda wondering if it's gotten to that point yet.  Like I said, I've only heard rumors but never seen actual fact.  We don't have many baby Holstiens go thru the salebarns around here - I don't know if I've ever seen more than 1 or 2 at a sale. 

garybob

aj said:
I was told at the university(coop coffee table) that corn will hit 6 $ this July. Will this affect the price of beer?
It'll greatly impact our ability to buy beer.

GB

fluffer

kanshow said:

Hubby works at a sale barn part time and told me that Holstien bull calves are bringing .60 cents a pound if they are over 100 lbs.  Anything smaller then that, they are shooting them in the head.  It was barly 2 years ago people were fighting for any calf that was healthy and they were bringing $200 a piece.

kanshow

Where's that at Fluffer?

It seems like there are so few bottle babies that go thru our sale barn there is an artifical market for them... people buy them for the bucket calf project or something.    It was nothing last year to see them go for 250-300. 

Rocky Hill Simmental

Bucket calves around here usally sell good but the price depends on how the calf acts. One salebarn has some every week, usually over 10.

Holstein bulls usually sell good (as of last summer anyway). Last summer they were bringing $100-$250. Everyone likes holstein heifers. I bought one for $330 two years ago (kept her as a cow too  ;D). I saw one last summer bring $430. The most I ever saw a bucket calf bring was a pair of black beef heifers for $500 each. Seriously, you can buy a good weaned calf for way less than that. Jersey bulls are the cheapest. They only bring around $25-50. One time nobody would bid on one because it wouldn't get up and walk around and they had to carry it out of the ring.

Anyway right now:
Feeder calves are actually still selling pretty good here considering the hay shortage. I sold a 500 lb steer and he brought $1.05. Our bred replacement cows brought $300-$650. Our auctions are below the average price than the rest of MO too so they're not doing to bad yet. I don't know how bucket calves are selling right now. I haven't been to that sale recently.

fluffer

kanshow said:
Where's that at Fluffer?

It seems like there are so few bottle babies that go thru our sale barn there is an artifical market for them... people buy them for the bucket calf project or something.    It was nothing last year to see them go for 250-300. 

Southern Ohio.  Hubby used to buy babies and get them through phase 1 then sell them to people who wanted to feed them.  Glad we got out when we did!  He still talks to the guys who are on the dairys.  They call him to try and get bids, and he calls buyers to try and get bids from them.  No, not many calves actually go though the actual sale barn.  Those never brought good money anyways.  they die to easy.

The market went through this same process several years ago.  When I was in college we had to watch video of farm hands taking newborn live baby calves out to pits and "disposing" of them.  It is really sad!

knabe

these bottle calves must be allowed to die a natural death on federal lands.  they are part of the heritage of the united states.  no part of their body must be used for any product ever.  they must be a feral species.  freedom is progressive.  there are other solutions besides slaughter.

garybob

Again, Y'all, "Beware the Pale Rider, for death follows".

I can remember my Daddy knocking 'em in the head, too. When you get a yardage bill, not a check, from the sale barn, What is a dairyman to do? Give them away?

Milk replacer, I haven't priced any lately. What's a bag of it, and, Starter Feed retailing for, these days?

GB

knabe

pale rider rode into the chicken coop last weekend and rooted out some sympathy roosters.  egg layers so no meat.  i guess i coulda made some awesome stock and just boiled them whole.  got real tidy about cleaning them.  amazing they are only hooked on at the top and bottom and at the gizzard.  gizzards are just the most amazing organ.

kanshow

I bought a 50# bag of calf milk replacer the first of the month and it was $65 - 70, don't remember exactly.    I think locally, it's close to $75.  I hope we don't go thru too many bags this year.  DH came home with a case of colostrx.. don't even wanna look at that ticket.  Hopefully that will get us thru calving season! 

Holstien heifers are a whole different ballgame than the holstein bull calves..    They are a commodity.  The thing I wouldn't want now would be Jersey bull calves...