97 Chevy 1500 (N/C)

Help Support Steer Planet:

FutureBreeder2013

I found out that my recently purchased truck doesn't have the "guts" to handle a bumper hitch trailer too well. It has a 305 small block which is notorious as an underpowered set up.

Do you guys know what I could do to it to help boost the HP/Torque on it?

HSV

I pulled a 16 foot Keifer aluminum bumper pull with the same motor for two years. I got along fine. It would have been nicer to have more motor but I always got where I needed to go. I did get a weight transfer / antisway combo hitch and it made all the difference. I wouldn't haul a bumper pull with a halfton without it.

ROMAX

If looking for more power try an intake system like k&n or AIRAID with a performance filter.get a good cat-back exhaust like a 3" single or duals(preferably FLOWMASTER) and a good tune up all that should be good for a few more ponies.

FutureBreeder2013

Alright thanks for the replys.

This summer i was going to get a dual cat back system and an airraid COI.

Goin to have to work for it because those exhaust systems arnt cheap.

Reinken Cattle Co.

I had the same truck , extended cab model with a flow tech exhaust system, had three inch lift and some 15x10.5 wheels on it. It got me by pullin a 16ft keifer, but short pulls to the vet and stuff.. I traded it for a 97 dodge cummins its got a little more power  (clapping)  thats how I solved the problem... Great trucks just to drive! but pulling a trailer oh my.. prayed everytime and i mean only pullin 2 calves! if its original tranny, have about 1500 dollars set aside... Other then that I wouldnt mind having mine back now just to have a toy truck.... and keep my dodge.

Mark H

As far as a tow rig you do not have much to work with here.  You are limited to 7,500 LB stock on the tongue.  Hhalf tons for this year were never rated for goose necks.  Generally intakes and exhaust improvements are not the best investment here.  In any case  the engine is not the major concern here.  I would list the brakes as the first concern then the transmission.
I like moving, but stopping even more.  If I want to pull around 7,500 to 10,000 LB all the time I would put a big brake kit on the thing.  This would be the most expensive thing but your safety depends on it.  Then I would put a good transmission cooler in. If  you have gears less than 3.73's putting 3.73 gears with a posi in is the next step.  Lastly, I would reflash the ECU and put a cam in matched to the reflash.  Only then would I consider a low restriction exhaust.  If you have some money left to spend  get some gas shocks and overload springs.
After doing this a used late model 3/4 ton will look reasonable in cost.

shortyjock89

Hey I have a 98 GMC 2500 HD w/ trailer package that I'm looking to sell to upgrade to diesel.  Already set up for gooseneck, and pulls a 22.5' Aluminum Eby with 3 calves and tack easily enough. 

FutureBreeder2013

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
I had the same truck , extended cab model with a flow tech exhaust system, had three inch lift and some 15x10.5 wheels on it. It got me by pullin a 16ft keifer, but short pulls to the vet and stuff.. I traded it for a 97 dodge cummins its got a little more power  (clapping)  thats how I solved the problem... Great trucks just to drive! but pulling a trailer oh my.. prayed everytime and i mean only pullin 2 calves! if its original tranny, have about 1500 dollars set aside... Other then that I wouldnt mind having mine back now just to have a toy truck.... and keep my dodge.

I guess I got it as a high schol vehical not one that I would have to haul with every weekend.

I may turn it ito a fun truck since I only got it for 3500 bucks and its in perfect shape. <beer>

BadgerFan

If you don't overload it (keep the 7500 lbs in mind) and drive like you've got a brain you'll be fine for a few light pulls.  Don't waste your money dropping aftermarket parts on a 305 that you bought for $3500.  Get by for a year or two- SAVE UP SOME MONEY- and buy a little heavier truck.  Keep in mind you probably won't need a new one ton dually with the diesel for $50K.

BadgerFan

FutureBreeder said:
After college I was planning on getting a 2500HD.

Good think NICC doesnt cost an arm and a leg to attend.

Good, you're on the right path. Did you see the point about save up the money (at least a big down payment)?  I did not say get a big loan as soon as you can.

Ok, lecture over.    ;D

Reinken Cattle Co.

For 3500 you cant go wrong with those trucks.. Great job! I did still a little money in, including a tranny, but little things like that body lift for just over 100 dollars and some wheels and tires goes along ways on resale for some reason... I paid 4800 for mine and felt I did ok on it..

jason

I had the diesel version of that truck, except is was a 3/4 ton.  It was a pre duramax, 6.5 L, POS.  Finally gave out on me when an oil cooler line ruptured and I cooked the internals. 

The truck wasn't a bad truck, but that 6.5 could easily leave you stranded because of the PMD.

FutureBreeder2013

Reinken Cattle Co. said:
For 3500 you cant go wrong with those trucks.. Great job! I did still a little money in, including a tranny, but little things like that body lift for just over 100 dollars and some wheels and tires goes along ways on resale for some reason... I paid 4800 for mine and felt I did ok on it..

Our minds sue do think alike  (lol)  Did you go with a 2 or 3 inch body lift?

I was going to do all of that except for the tranny because the guy I got it from hardly ever hauled anything with it.

Reinken Cattle Co.

Those are pacer 15x10.5 with deepdish offset so they set out more. the tires were 36/12.5s I think... Wish I would have kept them when I traded the truck incase I ever get another halfton chevy.