A Caring Reminder......Local Man Killed....

Help Support Steer Planet:

jbh

A local, long time cattleman and his son were loading a semi with fat cattle, when the Dad was kicked in the face, knocked unconscious, and tragically trampled to death by the load coming back on him.......Our thoughts and prayers are with the family.

I'm as guilty as anyone of taking safety for granted when working cattle.....after so many years of being around them, you feel like you know everything that could or will happen.....BUT, bad things can happen so quickly.

I know there's alot of CIDR's, Embryo's and AIing going on right now.....so, EVERYONE, please keep this tragic story in mind.

russfarm

Wow, that's really awful.  I hate to hear stories like that.  Really makes you stop and think doesn't it.

kanshow

Oh that is so sad..    sorry to hear that.  

Thanks for the reminder, we all get in a hurry and take things for granted - and not just with cattle but with all of our daily activities.  

cwbyup62

I couldn't agree with you more Brad.  Because of my accident this spring, it has made me think a lot more every time I am working cattle.  We all take so many things for granted that "will never happen to me" that we don't realize that it can happen to me, and in the blink of an eye.  In my case, probably an injury that will effect me the rest of my life, but it did not cost me my life, although it just as easily could have.  Right now it is long hours, exhaustion and just plain being wore out for most people in our industry.  Please everyone, be careful and think, you could be next.

My best wishes go out to this family, there is no way you can predict something like this happening.  Another great reason to tell the ones you love that you do love them, and be reminded, that this could be any of ours last day.

KCK

I know in Oklahoma we hope and pray there are no accidents during harvest since it is going on about the same time kids get out of school and everyone is in "summer" mode. We all take our knowledge and abilities for granted.
This is a horribly sad story. Keep your eyes and ears up everyone! (angel)

wowcows

Looked what happened to Scott Downing and he is quite the cattleman. He is one of the lucky ones to still be with us.

cebwtx

This definitely something for everyone to keep in mind, especially with the tame show animals. Everyone seems to stay more alert with a commercial herd but almost everyone I know drops there guard with their puppy dog show animals. I have to constantly remind my 9 year old daughter that even though they may be like a pet they could hurt or kill her not meaning to. You watch a animal move a 1200 pound hay bale scratching and appreciate the strength they possess. We just recently had to take a friend to the hospital for facial fractures from a dividing gate in a trailer that the animal bumped with its butt and threw the gate into his face. I try to teach my kids not to be afraid of or fear the cattle we have because that can cause its own set of problems, but that they should have a respect for their size and strength. Hope everyone else gets through their times with their animals with nothing more than some sweat and maybe a bruise or two. Prayers go out to the family of the gentleman who lost his life.

lightnin4

I had a "tame" bull kick a sweep gate back into my face one time.  I was lucky--just two black eyes and a broken nose.  But, it was enough to make me more careful.

dori36

Good reminder that cattle are unpredictable, even the 'tame' ones.  And, one of the consistent behaviors that cattle will display when stressed or 'worried' about what's ahead of them is to turn and go right back over where they just came from.  Be careful, everyone.  Even one can hurt you badly.

andy

Real good reminder.  Had a neighbor killed last Sept. by a stocker heifer.  This man ran in the neighborhood of 30000 head.  Had another neighbor hospitalized this week when a finished heifer kicked him "south of the border."  For every person who gets killed working cattle, there are many more hurt.

Silver

cebwtx said:
This definitely something for everyone to keep in mind, especially with the tame show animals. Everyone seems to stay more alert with a commercial herd but almost everyone I know drops there guard with their puppy dog show animals. I have to constantly remind my 9 year old daughter that even though they may be like a pet they could hurt or kill her not meaning to. You watch a animal move a 1200 pound hay bale scratching and appreciate the strength they possess. We just recently had to take a friend to the hospital for facial fractures from a dividing gate in a trailer that the animal bumped with its butt and threw the gate into his face. I try to teach my kids not to be afraid of or fear the cattle we have because that can cause its own set of problems, but that they should have a respect for their size and strength. Hope everyone else gets through their times with their animals with nothing more than some sweat and maybe a bruise or two. Prayers go out to the family of the gentleman who lost his life.

Talk about unpredictable show cattle, I was selling a finished steer 4 years ago and all the sudden when the loudspeaker came on and the auctioneer started yelling and taking bids he just absolutely blew up. He put his head down and pushed me right through the show ring (plastic butte fence, thankfully) and then he jumped right over the interior fence with the auctioneer and proceeded to tear down the speakers and all the sale commitee's papers.  I am lucky that was plastic fencing and not 3 in steel piping or something solid. So don't let your guard down even around show cattle.

justintime

Stories like this remind me of how close I came to meeting my Maker several years ago. We had a bull who was incredibly quiet his entire life, and we had roaded him several thousand miles to major shows throughout Canada and the US, from Edmonton to Lousiville, to Denver  and all places in between. He was a bull that you could halter anywhere and lead him onto a trailer. We had numerous requests for semen after he won his class in Denver, but we had never been able to get freezable semen after several attempts at collecting him. He was simply huge, and he weighed 2510lbs on his second birthday, and he was still gaining 5 lbs a day when he reached this age. Quite frankly he was a freak... but a well proportioned, good natured freak.

One day I loaded him in the trailer and took him to the U of S Vet college where they had an excellent Reproductive Physiology department headed by Dr. Bill Cates, who was a well known researcher in this field. Dr Cates worked with this bull for several days and he was cared for by two young female vet students. Dr Cates even commented that this bull was the most docile bull he had ever seen come through his clinic. When I picked him up to go home I walked him onto the trailer and slipped his halter off. It was midnight when I got home, and it was raining so I walked into the trailer, slipped the halter onto him, and led him to a pen in the barn. I again slipped his halter and left him there until morning. The next morning I walked back into his pen and haltered him again. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. As I led him out of the barn towards his pen, he suddenly turned around and hit me with his head, and he literally put me through the wall of a shed. Not thinking too clearly, I caught myself with my arms as I went through the wall and I gave him a slap with my hand and yelled at him to " smarten up". I really thought he was being playful. I still had the halter shank in my hand so I came back out of the hole I had made and he hit me again, this time knocking me to the ground. He got on top of me and started to flip me in the air with his head. By this time, I knew I was in real trouble as this bull who had never had a angry moment in his life was now trying to kill me. I realized that if he was to hit me in the chest with his head more than once I could possibly be a goner, so I tried to keep my hands on the top of his head so that he was hitting my legs, at least most of the time. He finally got me down on the ground again and I realized I had one chance left and that was to to get my fingers in the ring in his nose. I truly believe that if we had not put a ring in his nose, he would certainly have killed me. I was very fortunate as I was able to get two fingers in his ring on my first attempt and I thought I just pulled hard enough to get him under control. I held onto his ring and I was able to climb up to the top of a WW gate and I finally let go of his ring. Even with me 7 feet off the ground he was trying to get to me.

My dad had gone into the house and when he came back out, I told him to stay back because this bull had tried to kill me> He did not believe me, so he kept walking towards the bull. Finally I screamed at him to stay back and I got through to him just as the bull started to walk towards him. He got inside the pen where I was on top of the gate and I got down as well. After several attempts we finally got him to walk back into the barn. I ran to my truck and I backed the trailer to the door and we loaded him and took him directly to the sale barn.

Adrenalin is a great thing, as I could feel no pain when I left for the auction mart. By the time I was a few miles down the road I started to feel pain in almost all my body. I really did not realize that I was even hurt other than I expected I would have a few bruises. By the time I had driven the 15 miles to town my two fingers that I had in his ring, were so swollen that they were twice normal size. I guess I must have pulled on that ring a little harder than I thought. By that night, my body was totally black from the waist down.... I mean every square inch of my lower body was as black as coal. My left leg was swollen so large that I had to cut my pant leg.  I went to the hospital and got x rays and found out that I had two broken ribs and one cracked one. I had no other  broken bones but I had a bruise so severe that even the bone was bruised. ( which I did not know could happen). I have never experienced any more pain that that bone bruise and I was unable to lie down for almost two weeks. I still have a hole in the muscle in the front of that leg that has never filled in totally even though it was 27 years ago now.

From that day on, temperament is one of the most important traits I want in an animal in my herd. I maintain that there should be enough quiet cattle on the planet, that I don't have to tolerate those that do not possess this trait. And most importantly, I learned a great respect of all cattle. I am not afraid of any animal, but I certainly respect them and I do not take them for granted. Another life lesson ... that could have ended up being the last one I ever had.

I just heard of a similar story yesterday to the one posted here. In this case, a long time rancher and horse breeder, was loading some horses in a trailer when he was killed in the head by one. He was taken to the local hospital where his wounds were cleaned and bandaged. Within a couple days he had a very serious infection that started to spread through his scalp. In an attempt to stop the infection from spreading rapidly, the doctors removed over one half of his scalp and hair. The man went into septic shock and died. I truly hope anyone who reads this thread, gets a new understanding and respect for the animals they are working with.

aj

JIT...the USA sent a lot of what I consider to be cowards to Canada from roughly 1968-1973. They had strong beliefs against the war but ultimately they were cowards. It doubled the courage of Canada by 3 fold. You had a 7 million dollar operation left to you. You are down to the last .5 million. I guess thats admirable in some ways. it seems like to me you are going backwards a little bit.

oakbar

Getting back to the original thread---my condolences to the family of the man involved in the accident.  If you're around cattle or horses enough, one of them will hurt you--intentionally or not--try to limit the accidents by staying on your toes and even remind those around you to do the same--especially youngsters and novices.  I hope all the Planeteers and their loved ones stay safe this show season. 
On another note:  Temperment is important in Planeteers as well, AJ!!  Think before you write!!  That's about as far off the original post as I've ever seen on SP and amounts to nothing more than trying to P___ in somebody's Cheerios.  If you don't like JIT take it up with him personally, don't continue to take cheap shots on a public forum.  To me, that is just another form of cowardice!!  I tried cutting you some slack early on  but its getting real old and you used up everyone's patience a long time ago!!  I think your comments were very disrespectful to the other people who were feeling the loss of this man---put yourself in their place if they read your thoughtless comments.

PLKR

aj said:
JIT...the USA sent a lot of what I consider to be cowards to Canada from roughly 1968-1973. They had strong beliefs against the war but ultimately they were cowards. It doubled the courage of Canada by 3 fold. You had a 7 million dollar operation left to you. You are down to the last .5 million. I guess thats admirable in some ways. it seems like to me you are going backwards a little bit.
WTF!!  For the record--I don't know JIT or aj--but those remarks are totally uncalled for. Evidently you are more concerned about others finances (I have no idea what your sources are.....)  than most of us are.

justintime

aj said:

I like your math aj... you say the US deserters doubled the courage of Canada by 3 fold. Interesting math you use. I hope you are not insinuating that I supported the draft dodgers who came to Canada during that time. I do not know any of these people, but if I did, I probably would have helped send them back to your country.

Actually if you want to know the truth, unlike most people, I have actually paid for my farm twice, and I was not left an operation of any kind... at least yet. In 1989, we lost 523 head from our farm, when CFIA ( Canadian Food Inspection Agency) moved in and destroyed every animal on our farm except for our dog. We were told we had a brucellosis reactor, so over a period of two days we pulled blood from every animal. All the cattle were destroyed the next day and two days after they were all dead, we found out that every animal had tested negative including the suspected positive animal.Several months later, I found out that the suspected positive animal had parts of her body sent to most every lab in North and South America ( including the Foreign Disease Control Center in Atlanta) as well as Europe, and in every case, the test results were negative.  The animal suspected had been sold to a breeder in North Carolina, and this was found when she was export tested. She was a brucellosis vaccinate and whether it was her titre that set this gong show off  or not, I will never know. As a result of our herd being destoyed over 10,000 head across Canada were tested, all with negative results ( cattle were tested in every province across Canada as we had sold cattle to all provinces in the year previous to this happening) . If I ever write a book, there will be more than a few chapters on this event, and if anyone should believe in conspiracy theories, it should be me.

To make a long story shorter, this almost put us down as we lost over $400,000 just in the valuation the government officials placed on the value of our herd. My valuation was considerably higher than this. It was the 75th anniversary of our herd, and I do not know what valuation one would place on 3 generations of building a herd and the genetics involved. We only received a small fraction of what our herd was worth simply  because the Canadian government had not looked at the maximum compensation rates for government ordered depopulation for over 20 years and it was totally outdated.  I am not looking for any sympathy from anyone, but I am simply stating some facts. I think I have endured more adversity than most will ever see in 3 lifetimes. The only thing that saved us, was that I had always maintained no debt on my purebred herd, and we used our purebred herd as security on our feedlot cattle. It was also fortunate that we had just shipped out another 400 head or we would have lost over 900 head when this happened... and that would have finished us.

So, as a result, I had to refinance my farm for a second time. I paid for it once and had just got clear title on it, and I then had to refinance it again, and pay for it a second time. Right now I am 12 months from making my last payments on buying my farm for the second time.... and when that is completed I will not owe one red cent to anyone on earth. Quite frankly, I do not have any regrets as to what life has given me. I have had the opportunity to do exactly what I wanted to do in my life, and I have enjoyed it.I maybe did not get the opportunity to do it exactly in the order i would have preferred, but such is life.  The only regret I have with what happened in this situation was watching what it did to my parents as they lost absolutely everything they worked for in their lives, in a few short hours. My mom died 4 years after this event, and looking back, her health problems started shortly after this happened. My dad is now 85 and he is still my partner in this place, and he still works here on a daily basis. Part of him died that day, but he continues on and he has allowed me to build this place back and he has been a great help. At 85, he can still outwork me on some days.

So, just to set the record straight, I have not been left any kind of farm, at least yet. I may inherit his part of the farm if he passes, but most days I expect he will outlive me. Quite frankly, I am quite proud of how we have struggled through this adversity and built a viable operation again.I am really looking forward to having every cent of income coming straight into my pocket, without having to turn around and pay a lender.  I normally do not comment on this, but as usual, your comments are tasteless and totally uncalled for. Again, you have made comments on something that you know little or nothing about, and on something that is none of your concern or business. I will be the first to say, that I have made lots of mistakes.... probably more than many others, but I truly hope I have learned something from every mistake I have made. My net worth will never be near 7 million unless I get lucky and will the lottery jackpot, but right now it is considerably higher than at any previous time in my life. Looking back, I have no regrets as to the road I took to get where I am today. There were many days along the way, that it would have been very easy to simply walk away and take one of the good jobs I have been offered from time to time through my life. Right now, I can truthfully say that I am pleased with the choices I have made, and life is getting better every day.

I was not going to even comment, as I felt that aj's comments here should make their own statement as to the person he is, but I decided I should set the record straight as I do not want anyone to assume anything that is not correct. I hope I have made my position on this subject clear enough.

I do not want to hijack this important thread so I would appreciate no comments on what I have written. I maybe should have PM's aj with these comments, but I thought it was important to set the record straight to anyone who read his below the belt comments.

Again, I wish to send my condolences to the families and friends of the man who lost his life and whom this thread was started. I hope everyone will remember to use common sense and proper caution when working with livestock. Working with livestock is a great way to learn life lessons, build character and family ties, but please remember the important words in the original comments in this thread.