a cow will make you pay...vaccination alert

Help Support Steer Planet:

Malinda

I won't go into my whole vaccination program  but I want to alert you about a train wreck I had here a couple of weeks ago.

First and foremost I am not a vet. DL will have to help me out on this one. I am just going to relay what my vets have told me.

I saw a 7 day old ET heifer nursing the cow at 7:00 pm. At 8:30 I went out to check an overdue cow and found the calf down and bloated. I consulted with my vet, treated the calf at 8:45. By 100:00 I was back on the phone with the vet. By 11:00 the vet was here. The next morning the bloat was gone but the calf was lethargic, not nursing and her respiratory rate was going up. I got on the phone with my vet and called Mike Rings at Ohio State University Vet Hospital. I had the calf at OSU by early afternoon. Her temp was 103.2, resp 36 and heart rate 160. The calf's temp went to 106 during the night, developed neurological symptoms and died at 6:00 am.

The necropsy showed the calf either died from Chlostridium Perfringes type A or type C.

I am an avid vaccinator and vaccinate the cows and the calves as soon as they are born.  But, I did not know there was a Type A vaccine.

I lost a calf three or four years ago with a similar history only that calf was 3 or 4 weeks old. AND I DID NOT GET A NECROPSY DONE

My vet called this morning and had been to a seminar over the weekend. He said the Chlostridium is becoming a problem with 'high dollar' cattle. He says that could be because some of us watch our cattle closer and see things quicker but wasn't sure.

Anyway, he is going to get me type A Chlostidium and I will now vaccinate the babies with the ANTTOXIN  for C&D when they hit the ground and follow in a few weeks with what I used to do.

FYI  I don't want anyone to have to loose any calves.

Malinda

Malinda

Yep Red, I know I did wrong. That is why I capitalized it. My local vet is the one that said the calf from a few years ago 'probably' died from a bowel obstruction. We even talked about that calf this morning. I think he realizes we both goofed on that one. I don't blame my vet; he gave me his best advise with what we knew at the time. But it was good of him to follow up with the call this morning. He gave me a list of 4 things to do with a two week old calf that is on the ground now and I had him see when it was less than a week old.

But, it is the necropsy that sent up the red flags. Everyone, DL is absolutely right about necropsy.

I have a donor cow bred to Trump that was due to calve yesterday. That baby is going to get all the benefits from the necropsy.

Gotta go. I have a SP member coming to visit this afternoon.

Malinda

kanshow

Thanks for the reminder Malinda but sorry it had to come at that expense.   

We've learned (the hard way) that each calving season is different so when we loose a calf, we necropsy so we can get the right treatment/vaccination going.  What works one season may not touch it the next season. 

CAB

Malinda, sorry to hear about your troubles. No fun. If you happen to see another calf with the same symptoms, treat with 30 cc of the anti toxin asap. 15 IM or sub-q/ label, & 15cc orally. This usually will help the calf tremendously and of coarse vaccinate as soon as possible with a suitable vaccine. There are different schools of thought as to how much good a very early vac. does for the calf, but if you are having troubles, you do what you feel will benefit the most. I do both anti & toxoid if we are fighting a battle just to cover all bases. Hope  this may save you some loss. Sincerely, Brent

simtal

I think another thing is management right?  If the calf was bloated, that means that it consumed too much feed.  Too much starch in the small intestine can lead to clostridium, right? 

CAB

Simtal, there would similarities, but this heifer was 7 days old, so it has picked up a pathogen. I do believe that what you are talking about and what Malinda has going on are both caused by a Clostridium, but more than likely not the same one. JMO.
  Cowboy swears by the Alpha 7 vaccine. I used it this spring, but did have to treat a few individuals with the anti toxin, in fact the picture in my avatar is me treating a older calf with anti toxin. We had an extremely wet spring and in my experience, I have had more troubles with clostridiums when the ground is wet and cold. Brent

showsteerdlux

We use the Alpha 7 MB 1, which has the pinkeye protection. Absolutely love the product. This year we are starting over and getting them on Express (modified-live) and Alpha for maximum protection

C-CROSS

We give our cows a guardian scour shot, babies at birth Alpha CD and antitoxin.  Then in mid May, 7 way with som, bovishield 5 gold and once pmh.  Hopefully by spring intervet will have the new onset 5 with pasturella in it out.!!!!!

Latest posts