A Death in My Family + a Perfect Storm

Help Support Steer Planet:

PDJ

My condolences to you and your family.  I'm sure he will be smiling down on you!

CAB

Sorry to hear about your Father In Law RC. I know how close you were to him and how much he meant to you. My condolences and prayers to your family. Brent C.

chambero

Thanks folks.  We got him buried yesterday.  I'll post some photos later.

AAOK

Sorry to hear about your Father-in-law, Chambero.  Sounds like it was a great celebration of life and faith.

chambero

There is nothing quite like a small town funeral as many of you know.  You are literally amazed at the number of people that drop everything, show up, shower you with food, and are just "there".

Yesterday was pretty tough for me, much more than I expected even. We have a wonderful preacher that retold our stories of my father-in-law involving his cows and land.  None of us could have made it through the eulogy ourselves.  One of the neatest things for the family was when he asked everyone that had ever worked cattle with us or sprayed mesquites for us (a real big deal in our operation that has involved numerous high school and college kids for literally the past 50+ years) to stand up.  They all came except for the few who lived out of state and couldn't get here.

The weather was miserable yesterday - snowy and a hard north wind.  We didn't expect everyone to come to the country for the burial.  Of course they did.  There probably 50-75 trucks in the procession (cars couldn't make it through the mud, so everyone piled in together).  It's humbling when people show you how much they care for you and love you.

Big shoes to fill.  He was much more of a friend and mentor to me than a father-in-law.

Attachments

• Alan-Grave-3.jpg
    Alan-Grave-3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 432

cowz

So sorry to hear of your loss.  Looks like the rain cleared for your service.  Now he can "Lay me down in green pastures".   No better setting to be laid to rest, though.

OH Breeder

Never easy to loose someone you love and respect. My sympathy to you and your family Chambero. Great you respected his wishes and put him to rest where he most wanted to be.

MCC

My condolances chambero. Loosing family is never easy. However he was put to rest like any cattleman would truly want to be. You can be proud of doing that for him.  (angel)