A few bull pics

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

Doc said:
Do you have it as a PDF?

Doc... Yes we do have a PDF but my wife is away until this afternoon and she put a PDF on our website, but for some reason it will not open when you click on it.... and I am far to technologically challenged to know how to fix it. I will post a PDF later today when she gets home.

justintime

Okotoks

For anyone that wants to watch the sale it is on DV Auctions today at 1:00.  (pop)

[size=14pt]https://www.dvauction.com/login[/size]

Medium Rare

My audio dropped out and I couldn't hear what they were saying, did they announce the lot #2 buyer?

blue

Does any one have a list of how each lot sold and buyers?

justintime

We would like to thank everyone who supported our 9th Sun Country Shorthorn Sale yesterday at Johnstone Auction Mart, Moose Jaw, SK. The two year old bulls averaged $6725, yearling bulls averaged $5336 and open heifers averaged $4819. Total sale gross was $308750 for an average of all lots of $5416.
Top bull was HC Cruiser 59C at $16,500. Second top bull was HC Bedrock 73B at $14,000. We had a packed house and we had many buyers who purchased their first Shorthorn in this sale.

justintime

Doc said:
Congrats Grant !! Heck of an average. Did many come down to the states?

Only two went to the US. One bull to Kansas and one to SD. We had several other US bidders but they did not get anything purchased. What really got me pumped from this sale was that we had many buyers who had never purchased a Shorthorn for their herd before. Many had never attended a Shorthorn sale before. We had a packed house and many were new faces to Shorthorn events.  We also sold Shorthorns to people who have purebred Angus, Charolais and Simmental herds. One of these guys who has a very successful PB herd, told me that he decided he better get in to the Shorthorn deal while he could, as he thinks the next few years are going to be very good for the Shorthorn breed. It was also good to see these "first time Shorthorn" people trying the buy the top end of the sale rather than the lower end. We could have sold a bunch more cattle without affecting the average very much. Most of the heifers went to people new to the Shorthorn breed and some of them were buying heifers at $6000-$7500. These are not money people or investor people ( not that there is anything wrong with these people buying) but they were farm people who make their livings from what they produce on their farms. The runner up bidders on the high selling bull at $16500 and the second high bull at $14,000 were commercial producers. The guy that purchased the high selling bull has a commercial herd and has picked up about 3-4 purebred heifers in our past sales, so he is basically a commercial producer as well.  I have spent most of my life waiting for this to happen. Now I hope I have a few years left to breed Shorthorns as I am having the most fun in my lifetime!

beebe

That is great.  I hope it spreads south of the border.  Congratulations, enjoy it.

justintime

Cha-Ching sold to a local farmer, so I will be watching him and I may try to buy him back when he is done with him. Bedrock sold to Rockdell Shorthorns and Langco Land and Cattle Co. Langco is the outfit that averaged $9100 on their Shorthorn bulls a couple weeks ago. Their blue roan heifers averaged $3900 while their purebred registered Angus females averaged $2800.
There appears to be lots of interest in Shorthorn bulls yet, as I counted 14 names in my sale catalog that had called me about buying a bull in our sale, that never got one bought. I have had a couple more since the sale.