A first for us - twice!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

inthebarnagain

This is what I found this morning.  The cow is a 2001 model that has only had bulls for us, so for the first time a heifer.  And we have never had a red calf born on our place.  The proud papa is Dreamcatcher.

Last week we had an Ohlde cow that has never had a heifer either, 7 bulls in her lifetime, she had a Ranchhand heifer last week.  No wonder it is so cold, hell is freezing over! Grin

Attachments

• ATT00231.jpg
    ATT00231.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 161

kanshow

Congratulations on getting heifers!  We've run way long on bulls this spring and seems every calf we really wanted a heifer from.. BULL. 

If you don't mind my asking, what was the BW on that Ranchhand like?  We have some coming this fall. 

Throttle

There are always matings that you obviously want one sex or the other from. I always try to completely erase the thought from my mind and never let it cross my lips! It seems that wishing for one sex, guarantees the other most of the time for us

inthebarnagain

kanshow said:
Congratulations on getting heifers!  We've run way long on bulls this spring and seems every calf we really wanted a heifer from.. BULL.   

If you don't mind my asking, what was the BW on that Ranchhand like?   We have some coming this fall. 

We have 2 ranchhands so far, the first was a bull calf that was early and weighed 72 pounds, very dainty.  The second was the heifer and her mother always has big calves, she weighed 78 pounds but was very streamlined.  A small heifer might have trouble having her but a normal sized one could have done it without a problem.  A neighbor of ours used him on heifers and hasn't had any problems either. 

It may change but so far they are mighty fine boned.