A Fitter's Work Is Never Done

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyisqueen

Does anyone here have experience with adding hair / twine to tailheads and legs?  It isn't done much at the shows I attend, but I still want to learn!! The technique might be a little hard to describe, but if you have some suggestions on making it  look natural, I would definately appreciate it. Or if you have suggestions on videos that do a good job illustrating this, that would be helpful too. Thanks in advance!

Show Heifer

At the risk of not answering your question: You might already know this and if you, I apologize, but I believe it is illegal at most junior shows. That might explain why you don't see much of it.
If your looking for a video that explains fitting and grooming, try Kirk Steirwalts. This might be arguable, but I think he is one of the best!

shortyisqueen

Na, I'm too old to be a junior. It is illegal at some shows but at other's up here, its perfectly legal. We generally don't see the calibre of fitting up up here in Canada - unless you head East - that happens at American shows - so unfortunately, I haven't got many people to watch so that I can keep on improving. Thanks for the tips on the video - Kirk fitted for a friend at Agribition last year - and the friend said the cattle looked out of this world when he was done. I'm not really in the market for general fitting/grooming videos, but if Kirk's got something on the 'advanced fitting techniques' (ie, adding twine)  that would be pretty great.

shorthorns r us

go to denver the weekend that the clubby bulls are on display.  if it can be done, it will be done then and there.

shortyisqueen

Heh, I would LOVE to! Its been a few years since I was there -  I'm itching to get back! I wonder if the job will let me take any more days off or if i've used up all my cattle show / sick days!...

renegade

how much money would it cost to get someone like Kirk Steirwalt to fit cattle  for you?  I know it would be more money than i would ever want to spend but would be interesting to know.

justintime

Kirk will be giving fitting demonstrations at Agribition on Tuesday and Wednesday of the show.He is being spnsored by Masterfeeds, so they are free demos.  I believe there are morning and afternoon demos each day. Last year he gave clipping demonstrations at Agribition. He used one of my bull calves because he was white and had lots and lots of hair. An hour after the demonstration was over, he stopped by our stall and asked if he could finish clipping the calf. He clipped there for almost another two hours and worked on two different animals. We had just about as many people standing at the stall watching him as there was at the demonstrations. When he was done I tried to pay him for all his extra work. He graciously declined and said he was glad to help. I made sure I bought a few of his clipping and fitting videos and gave them to a few friends and my crew. A very nice man who goes out of his way to help people learn !

shorthorns r us

justintime said:
Kirk will be giving fitting demonstrations at Agribition on Tuesday and Wednesday of the show.He is being spnsored by Masterfeeds, so they are free demos.  I believe there are morning and afternoon demos each day. Last year he gave clipping demonstrations at Agribition. He used one of my bull calves because he was white and had lots and lots of hair. An hour after the demonstration was over, he stopped by our stall and asked if he could finish clipping the calf. He clipped there for almost another two hours and worked on two different animals. We had just about as many people standing at the stall watching him as there was at the demonstrations. When he was done I tried to pay him for all his extra work. He graciously declined and said he was glad to help. I made sure I bought a few of his clipping and fitting videos and gave them to a few friends and my crew. A very nice man who goes out of his way to help people learn !

funny, the things a fella will do when he loves it?  nothing against you and your crew, but i bet that white bull had the best clip job in your stalls.

shortyisqueen

hmmm, thanks JIT, i'll have to find out when and where so I can stop by and ask questions. A video would be good but a demo would be even better. Maybe I can convince him to do some fancy stuff! Heh, too old to be a junior, but still young enough to be very annoying.

I wonder if he's busy on Shorty show day  ;)

cowz

My suggestion to you is to save up a few $ and take the time to attend Kirk's fitting school over a long weekend.  You will learn everything you ask him to teach you to do.  He will answer all of your questions.  He is very patient and kind.  You will get a lot of individualized attention.  I really enjoyed it and now I can fit as well (but different) than my kids or my hubby.  I enjoyed every minute and it was worth every penny.  Here is the website:  http://www.showsteers.com/stierwalt/

afhm

Use horse hair or hair from your calf's tail switch on the tail head.  Just pull your tailhead normally then glue the extra hair to the off-side of the tailhead in the area that needs filling.  For the legs use twine.  Pull the legs normally then spray tail adhesive where you need to add the twine then dab it on, spray more and dab more.  Clip like normal, then add a good coat of glue so it doesn't fall off.  Remember sometimes less is more.  When you get good at it, most can't tell if you have twined a calf or not because it blends in that good.  It takes time and practice.

shorthorns r us

afhm said:
Use horse hair or hair from your calf's tail switch on the tail head.  Just pull your tailhead normally then glue the extra hair to the off-side of the tailhead in the area that needs filling.  For the legs use twine.  Pull the legs normally then spray tail adhesive where you need to add the twine then dab it on, spray more and dab more.  Clip like normal, then add a good coat of glue so it doesn't fall off.  Remember sometimes less is more.  When you get good at it, most can't tell if you have twined a calf or not because it blends in that good.  It takes time and practice.

that practice probably shouldn't take place at the show or on the show calf.

shortyisqueen

SRU said:
that practice probably shouldn't take place at the show or on the show calf.

Heh, well, I should hope not!!!!

Unfortunately, its not very feasible for me to make it to one of Kirks fitting weekends. I can also imagine the look I would get at U.S. customs as I tried to convince them my blower was a carry-on so it wouldn't arrive as lost luggage!!! I'll just have to be nosy next week at Agribition. Although there's a few things he does that I don't quite agree with...I read on his website that a regular ration was 2 or 3 percent body weight. I think my heifer would be toes up the next morning when I went out....or so fat I couldn't look at her without enrolling her in a diet plan! I don't think much can beat him in the fitting dept. though.

Thanks for the tips, afhm, that helped a bit...That's the kinda advice I was looking for! Keep it coming, folks! Thanks again!

afhm

You are welcome SIQ.  At one time Kirk had a video out on adding hair and twine only.  I don't know if it is still available or not.  I have never seen it.  I learned by trail and error at home.  Maybe the videos by Chuck McCollough or Chris Wilson cover some of this, I haven't seen them either but if you call them I'm sure they would tell you if they do or not.

SWMO

My kids attended one of Kirk's fitting clinics at a pretty young age and Kirk couldn't have been more patient and helpful.  I'm very impressed with his ability to size up kids (their strengths and their weaknesses).  I was very educational for me to have him describe my kids personalities (not abilities) to me.

showsteer mom

Kirk is awesome will all ages of kids. We have had three of his clinics and another one coming up February 29, March 1 & March 2 in Nevada, Missouri. Although he has never actually shown the twining. If he was asked to and had the time, I think he would show you. His clinic is the best one that you could possibly attend. We have had kids in the clinic that have been to others, and say by far they actually learned more in Kirks clinic than the other one that they had attended for the 2 years prior. It is absolutely amazing what one can come out with in a three day clinic.

If anyone is interested in attending the clinic, drop me a line. I still have a few openings.

AAOK

afhm said:

Good description afhm.  It's really not all that difficult, just time consuming, like all good grooming techniques.  I'm not a big fan of twining because no matter how well it's done, to me the legs always lose roundness and become a little too rectangular for real life.  I believe a Show Calf, heifer or steer needs to look spectacular, but still natural.  Kind of like breast implants for the fairer sex; Oh Yeah, they'll catch my eye, but its usually pretty easy to tell when they're not the real thing.

Just a note about Kirk Steirwalt:  When we were participating in a great number of Jr. shows, Kirk was always grooming for some realatives of his which were show friends of ours.  We stalled together at many shows, and got to hang around Kirk during all the preparation.  Without our asking, Kirk was always offering advice, and showing us better ways of clipping, grooming, feeding, brushing, etc.  Much of the time, our calves were the competition of Kirk's.  He is always a real class act. 

DLD

I'll add my kudos for Kirk as well. He's as good fitter as there is, and a really good guy to boot. The whole family is, as a matter of fact. As Dan said, definitely a class act.

shortyisqueen, on the leg building thing - Make sure the twine is chopped up as fine as you can get it, then just add it slowly and carefully. Use lots of glue, but give it a chance to dry as you go (doing it right takes lots of time). Use your clippers to shape it as you go (rather than trying to just shape it with the twine itself) - this is the one place I still use my old big clippers, with a sharp 20 tooth blocking comb (use plenty of final mist or other spray oil to keep the blades from getting gummed up). It needs to be dense and consistent to look right - covering it with ultra white, then auburn touch up, then black touch up, and finally ultra black helps you there (again, be sure and allow adequate drying time between several light coats - you can't afford to break down the glue). I clip some as I'm building, but try to get as close to right as possible when it's coated with ultra white - it's easiest to see, and seems to clip better at that point than after more paint. It's just one of those things that practice makes perfect. Good luck.

shortyisqueen

Finally writing back after missing a week. Thanks DLD  for your tips!

I was fortunate enough to talk to Kirk after the fitting demonstrations. (They were aimed at the  'never fit a calf before' crowd but even so, I was able to pick out a few bits and pieces).  Of course, by the time he was able to come visit, it was after the steer show, so I had already fitted the steer I wanted to talk to him about. On the upside, he could see what I had done so I was able to pick his brain for tips! I can see why you all call him a class act! He was very helpful -  Frankly, I was a little in awe! I also got to fit with one of the fellows that works for him a little later in the week, so I kept my eyes peeled. Too often I spend so much time beside the chutes that I never get to go watch the people I'd really like to see fit!!

Richburg

usually after we clip we will pick up hair......have done in the past not at all  lately but spray the flank heavy with tail add a little hair, let dry, spray heavy again and add more hair. do this till you cant see throughthe flank and fill with paint then black over.......if you are going to put hair down there go allll the way or it will look like crap.

on the tailhead.... take hair of the switch and make sure it is straight ......add to the halter side of the tailhead......dont use a whole lot because if you have a calf with no body hair and 4 inches of tailhead hair everyone will know it is fake.....usually add a litle bit of long hair and fill the rest with paint.