A good day at the Illinois State Fair

Help Support Steer Planet:

bruiser

My son's AOB steer won his class at the ISF. The best we've ever done there. His cross-bred steer drew into the toughest class of steers I've ever seen.Jimmy Williams was the judge, walked the class one lap around the ring and commented to the audience that " this is the best class of steers I've ever seen in the ring. There are at least six steers that can go to any state fair in the country and win the steer show". His steer finished 9th out of 12 in the class and I was proud as I could be.Here we were in a class of the best steers in Illinois, from the biggest names in fitting around this part of the country, and my 17 year old son was the only kid in that class with dirty pants. The steer jocks were all there- Guyer-Caldwell-Gray-Jones, but my kid was the only one there that had fit his own steer. Proud of his dirty pants? You damn right I am.

mark tenenbaum

You should be. I started showing when I was 9-and did it all myself. I couldnt understand why a 5 year old girl who barely knew her calf would clobber me-while her father followed around the outside of the ring bellowing directions. Well-by the time I was 15-I finally got a good hiefer(without the farm manager getting a new sports coat etc) and started winning-with the 45 year old 4H member (girls father) trying to get me disqualified etc. It was like the little league. Thats the only time my father-EVER got involved with the cattle. He had a little talk with the 45 year old 4her-and he shut the hell up. YOU should be very proud of your 17 year old-although not as rediculous as in my day-thats one tough show. O0

Latest posts