A.I. Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

amcosgra

I gave shots of estrumate yesterday and the day before to four cows in the p.m. I also put estrotect patches on them. One cow that was shot two days ago has her patch rubbed to where they say "breed". I did not see her stand this morning and her patch was still intact this morning. My question is should I go ahead and breed her tonight or wait until early tomorrow morning?

cowman 52

if semen availability is not a problem them breed  if it is aproblem-- pass a a i sheath and see just how much dialation, mucous,  and other  things  you have-- if  she feels dry then wait- if not get her exposed-- they do not get pg if not exposed

A.I.GUY

Well i'm not sure if you gave estramate to all cows 2 days in a row or some one day and the rest the next day. When using estramate to bring cows in heat you need only give 1 shot 2ml ( with a 1 1/2 by 18 gauge needle to insure you get it deep in the muscle) and then heat detect for up to 4 days if a cow comes in heat before 56 hours she was probably coming into a natural heat. If the estro tect pacth is completely scratched off then you should breed her.If  just part of the patch is rubbed off she probably is'nt ready yet and you should put a new patch on. Most cows if they respond to this show heat at 56 to 94 hours. The problem with this method is that only usually  half the cows will show heat and usually only half of the ones you breed will become preg if this does not work . Then 7 to 10 days later I would use a cidr and ovsynch on the cows you did not breed off of estramate.

Bulldaddy

Cosgray Polled Herefords said:
I gave shots of estrumate yesterday and the day before to four cows in the p.m. I also put estrotect patches on them. One cow that was shot two days ago has her patch rubbed to where they say "breed". I did not see her stand this morning and her patch was still intact this morning. My question is should I go ahead and breed her tonight or wait until early tomorrow morning?

If there are trees in your pasture I wouldn't waste the semen unless you saw her stand.  They will often rub part of the patch off on hanging branches.  If she were truly in heat the patch would be completely rubbed off.  At least, that has been my experience.  The only exception might be really hot weather or a big cow with a bunch of little heifers that couldn't get up on her competely.